Geotechnicall Vs Transportation Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satyara

Reaction score
Hi, I have little experience in highway, traffic, geotech, bridge, drainage areas for cumulative of 4 years. I got accepted for PE exam and i need to register before sep10th. I am in confused state to register for which depth part, Transportation or geotechnical. Since i have not done much in any of the fields. I have not started preparation yet. I am taking time off for a month to prepare for the exam. Can someone suggest me which will be better or best one to choose. If geotech, then what are the reference books i need.

Thanks & Regards.

You don't need to register for depth part only for which exam you intend to take: Civil, Environmental, Electrical, Mechanical, etc.

In your case, if you select the Civil Engineering exam, you will have the opportunity to select one of the available five depth sections on the day of the exam. The booklet handed out in the afternoon contains five section containing 40 questions each. You select the section you intend to take upon reviewing the material.

JR

I am affraid jregieng has older information. Starting on October 2010 exam, not only you have to select your field, you also have to select which depth exam you want to take when you register with NCEES. That is what I did. In fact during the registration process it states clearly that during the afternoon depth, you will be provided booklet for only the subject that you registered for. So, if you registered for Geotech, your afternoon booklet will have only Geotech problems....

As far as which depth exam to select, I have about four years of experience similar to yours. Currently I work on structures with bridge emphasis. However, when I looked at the exam spec for the structures exam, I saw a lot of code related with ACI, ASCE, ..... And I don't have a building experience. So, it was between Transportation or Geotech. However, Since I work in bridges, a third or more of what I do is Geotech. So, it was closer and the spec for the geotech looked more fitting to me.

Several of my coworkers who did the Geotech exam swear by Das books and the Navfac DM 7.01 and 7.02. So, I downloaded the manuals and printed them. I am working on the problems on Das books as the Cerm material seems inadequate for the afternoon Geotech. However, I use CERM extensively for preparation for the morning portion.

B

^^^ Thank you for the correction - I was completely unaware that this change had been made.

JR

Back