Frequent questions for new PE's!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildsoldier PE

Reaction score
First, congratulations to all that passed the PE exam. To those who didn't please never give up!! Next time will be your chance. If i passed you also can!!

Ok, I have some questions, please those that have PE's since last April 2011 are encourage to answer since they can provide a better answer to these questions.

1. I received the letter that i passed....how long usually do you need to wait to get a certificate? Please post how many days, weeks, months and also the state you are in.

2. Places to buy PE stamps, which ones are better..(self ink, rubber...etc.)? I passed today by my local Office Depot and they said they can make them but they need the original PE certificate for them to proceed, they said that usually take about 10 days and is delivered directly to my home.

3. Probably this is kind of early to say but for those states that require continuous education to renew their licenses....what kind of education does the board usually look for? Does it needs to be engineering related?

Well if i have more questions i will post them here!

Thanks for the congratulations and back at you! I passed in Oklahoma and have the same questions. I can answer # 3 by saying that you should look up your State Statutes regulating the practice of engineering and the respective administrative codes. The requirements will be clearly laid out. Ultimately if there is question your board will decide.

I only know that because Oklahoma requires a 23/25 min score on a subsequent ethics exam after successfully passing the PE. I'm not sure if other states require it but I actually think it is a good measure.

1. You need to check with your board on what you have to do after your passed. Most states have a final reigstration fee or other paperwork you have to submit before you actually become a PE. Iin Ohio you have to submit a $50 final registration and then they assign you a registration number and send you your certificate. Once that is complete they ship the certificate pretty quickly (within a week or two). My notification letter had instructions on what I needed to do next.

2. What kind of stamp you get should depend on what you plan on using it for. From what I have seen self-inking is just a plus if you want it and may not be worth the extra money, unless you will be stamping a lot. Most PEs don't actually use their stamp a lot so they get just the basic rubber stamp. I would recommend start with that and if you feel you need something else like an embosser or self-inking you can order it later.

3. For continuing education take a look at the requirements of your board. Their website should detail what counts as continuing education, what proof you need, etc. Some states have very specific requirements while other states don't even require continuing education. Just make sure you are meeting your board's requirements. In Ohio most of the administrative action I have seen against PEs has been because they failed to properly document continuing education and lied about it on their renewal applications.

I hope that gives you some insight. Take some time and look through your board's website. It should have most of the information you are looking for.

3. For continuing education take a look at the requirements of your board. Their website should detail what counts as continuing education, what proof you need, etc. Some states have very specific requirements while other states don't even require continuing education. Just make sure you are meeting your board's requirements. In Ohio most of the administrative action I have seen against PEs has been because they failed to properly document continuing education and lied about it on their renewal applications.

I hope that gives you some insight. Take some time and look through your board's website. It should have most of the information you are looking for.
is there a web source for online courses for continuing education

For 1 it all depends on the states. In June I applied for comity in several states. One took a month and on one I am still waiting.

For 3, check with your board. Each board has different rules on what constitutes a CEU, pre-approved, or not. Ask other PE's in your company what they do.

For 2, Make sure follow the boards rules. Some require an embossing seal, others are OK with a rubber stamp. In PA you must buy an embossing seal before they make the stamp (can buy concurrent). I never embossed anything in PA. MD and VA are just stamps. New Jesey you need an embossing seal that you will use and a stamp is allowed but it doesn't get used. If your state requires the use of an embosser and you plan on seeling stcks of drawings, get one with a comfort handle. I would stay away from a self inker unless you plan on stamping alot of drawings. Also, keep in mind you can use an electronic version of your seal on documents which may become more popular in the future.

One thing to think about is entering the NCEES record program if you plan on getting a license in other states.

Back