Free Cell Phones for the Poor

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would take almost the exact opposite view in that none of that should be paid. While I respect your choice, I believe it is just that, a choice and no entity should be required to pay for the treatment and care of that choice.
Whereas I would take the view that it's no more a choice than a cleft palate is. It's a birth defect. It's just a less obvious birth defect. Edit: I'd also argue that it's better to spend the money on things that will actually fix the issue - I could take antidepressants that don't work that the insurance will pay for, or the meds that they won't pay for that actually come close to fixing the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see that point of view as well. I didn't think the question was off-topic as the conversation was related to the role of government and what is a luxury versus what is a necessity.

Do I think they should pay for major appearance issues? Maybe - I'm specifically thinking electrolysis or laser hair removal on the face here. Getting rid of that is vital to any MtF trans person; it's the single biggest easily correctable issue that clocks us.
Getting rid of that is also vital to most women, yet I can't see paying for it under healthcare. Common side effect of PCOS is unwanted facial hair, but laser hair removal isn't an insurable option. That, to me, seems like a luxury.

Do I think they should pay for major appearance issues? Maybe - I'm specifically thinking electrolysis or laser hair removal on the face here. Getting rid of that is vital to any MtF trans person; it's the single biggest easily correctable issue that clocks us.
Getting rid of that is also vital to most women, yet I can't see paying for it under healthcare. Common side effect of PCOS is unwanted facial hair, but laser hair removal isn't an insurable option. That, to me, seems like a luxury.
I know multiple people with PCOS, so I know all about that pain. And yeah, you'll notice I put "maybe". It's an order-of-magnitude as well as a general appearance issue though; a MtF trans person, even after many laser treatments, will frequently still have as much or more hair as a PCOS sufferer. One person I know spent close to two years getting monthly treatments before she stopped shaving twice daily. Still, I agree that for the most part Laser shouldn't be covered. The facial hair is the only exception I might make, and that'd only be if PCOS treatments were covered. Which, by the way, some insurers supposedly do cover.

I think most people probably could have done without reading his/her response
Fixed.

And yeah, I probably should have put a spoiler tag and forced highlighting or something, for those that don't care to know the specifics. Not sure how to do it on this forum software. Or, hey, people that didn't want to read it could have skipped over the response.

And one wonders why you are choosing to call attention to it at this point. It's been almost 3 weeks since the original post?

Edit: And not to bring back the subject... but even Iran helps pay for operations for SRS. *IRAN*.

Fixed

funny-pictures-cat-googles-the-word-fix.jpg

Back