Ford Mustang GT or Camaro SS

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the price for these cars? $25K-$30K? Or more? I'm just curious. The last time I purchased a car it was new, but that was in 1999. And it was a Honda Civic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Mustang for a few years. Fun car at first but got sick of it quick.

I've become a loyal Chevy man since.

I love the new Camaro, but I will be driving my Silverado for the foreseeable future.

Pony cars have a lot of limitations, so they wouldn't be my choice as a daily driver.

But I think the most important thing to consider is if you plan on keeping it a long long time then buy the car you really like best even if it is a couple dollars more.

I am late into this conversation but thought I would add my thoughts. I have always been a GM man. I have a 67 Camaro now that needs restored and have had a 77 camaro years ago. I love the new Camaro. I have owned 5 mustangs. For the money and the easy inexpensive upgrades, I would go with the mustang. I am with the others on the fact that you could get a used one and soup it up for a lot less money. You can get a deal on a 5 year old Cobra, and it will already be strong. That is what I would do. I wired a house for a Ford mechanic and he hooked mine up. (Barter system)

ON another note as a huge GM fan, I am having trouble supporting Government Motors. I will not be purchasing a new GM for a long time, if ever. I just didn't support the bailout or any of the other bailouts (Who bailed me out???). I don't like paying for the pension and healthcare for the union employees to the sum of what I hear is 30% on the new cost of a vehicle.

I will not be buying anything that I can't pay cash for and that means it will be used. The 5 year old Cobra has a fully roller engine and is on sale. If you have an additional $5k, then you could make it scream. The engine is good for 200k miles.

If I had $35k sitting around with everything paid off, I would be tempted on the Camaro. But hell, then I would get a used 'Vet.

Good luck to you, wish I could drive one. I can't bring myself to ever borrow money again. When the house is paid off in 4 more years, then I will save for a new toy within my means.

So, I went ahead and bought one. I really love this car now. Best part is that after I started my new job I got assigned a company truck so I won't have to worry about logging 60 miles a day for the commute on my dime. The car can sit comfortably in the garage all day so I can get home and play in the evenings and the weekend.

I will post pics of it once I get the stripes painted on and the other custom items installed...

Ok, got it back from the paint shop late Thursday night and now that I have had a chance to get it all cleaned up, I took some photos:

IMG_2370.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

IMG_2381.jpg

IMG_2362.jpg

IMG_2367.jpg

WOW,

I love it. It is the same color combo I was looking into ordering (Bumblebee).

AWESOME!!!!!!

I got 4 new tires and an alignment on mine yesterday, and with all the new parts, etc. IT DRIVES FANTASTIC. I had a smile on my face all day yesterday.

In all, I replaced just about everything:

new rear multi-leaf springs

new rear poly front eye bushings

new rear shackles and poly bushings

new rear shocks KYB GR-1's

new front tie rods in and out, poly

new Energy Susp front poly control arm bushings

new ball joints

new front springs, cut 1/2 coil to lower

new front shocks, monroe's

new Energy Susp end links and sway bar bushings

new power steering pump

new power steering box, higher effort, quicker ratio

all new hardware for everything.

and as a result of trying to bleed the brakes during re-assembly

a new master cylinder.

and now 4 new Cobra Radial GT's

and an alignment.

Very nice DV!! I would imagine the ride is 1000x better seeing as you replaced the whole **** suspension. I remember how much of an improvement the ride in my Pathfinder was after replacing just the shock/struts, springs, and rear swaybar braces (granted it was a 2" lift kit).

Keep those poly bushings lubed or they'll squeak to no end!

They have some squeek, but really can't be heard when that thing is running. dual exhaust, no emissions, straight thru with glass packs.

They have some squeek, but really can't be heard when that thing is running. dual exhaust, no emissions, straight thru with glass packs.

Vinny, I have a Hotchkis Front Sway bar on my 69 camaro and it made a HUGE differenct over the stock one. I believe stock is 7/8" diameter; where the hotchkis is around 1-1/8 and hollow. I would pick one of those up and stick it in; it takes about 1-2 hours to put it on a first gen.

Vinny, I have a Hotchkis Front Sway bar on my 69 camaro and it made a HUGE differenct over the stock one. I believe stock is 7/8" diameter; where the hotchkis is around 1-1/8 and hollow. I would pick one of those up and stick it in; it takes about 1-2 hours to put it on a first gen.
'69 eh?

Need some stats, etc. and :GotPics:

When I was a kid, my parents had a Dover white '69 Z28 with the DZ 302 in it. Stripe delete car.

'69 eh?

Need some stats, etc. and :GotPics:

When I was a kid, my parents had a Dover white '69 Z28 with the DZ 302 in it. Stripe delete car.

hey it's a 350 4 bolt bored out to a 355. forged crank and pistons. M21 muncie 4-speed. 12 bolt rear with 4.11 gears. my daily driver lol; yes im serious.

PM me your email address; ill shoot you an email with pics if you want. are you on camaros.net? great forum. i'm also on lateral-g.net which is a great site about transforming F-bodies into cars that can handle corners and racing.

Back