Ford F-150

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taking a look at Consumer Reports reliability rankings and it looks like you are right for the base-model trucks (F-150, Silverado 1500 and Ram 1500). The bigger trucks are a different story: the Silverado 2500 does best, then the F-250 and the Ram 2500 is off the charts bad.

A friend of mine got forced into a new truck late last year (totaled his old one). He wound up with a Dodge. His experience was that GM wanted too much for their truck and he didn't like the way the steering felt in the F-150 so he went with the Ram. I'm planning to drive one of each and make sure either one will fit in the garage (short door) before I do much else.
According to msn.com, all 3 trucks are 76" tall (1/2-ton, 4x4), and are a couple inches shorter for the 4x2 versions.

My truck (GMC Sierra 4x4) clears the top of the garage door by about an inch and a half. The 2013 GMC I test drove cleared by about the same. I figure they're probably really close but I don't have a lot of margin to play with and I refuse to spend that much on something that ends up sitting outside.

Taking a look at Consumer Reports reliability rankings and it looks like you are right for the base-model trucks (F-150, Silverado 1500 and Ram 1500). The bigger trucks are a different story: the Silverado 2500 does best, then the F-250 and the Ram 2500 is off the charts bad.

Mr. Tex drives a 2005 F-250 with 185K...In the the top 3 for reliability of the cars that we have owned.

<---Goes to knock on wood so that said truck doesn't suddenly bite the dust tomorrow.

Back