For those who passed the PE ...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW .. thanks for all the assistance and the recommendations ... I'm in the process of making a list and visiting a bunch of different neighborhoods before we commit to anything and I will defintely put some of these on my list ...

And as for my job not giving me a raise - For NY as a Civil Engineer with 7+ years of experience doing what I'm doing, I'm getting paid pennies ... I signed up for the job with the expectation that getting my PE will give me a 40% bump in salary by September with a promotion ... now that it looks like it's not happening, I'm not making enough money to live ... it's been an unpleasant year and half that I can't continue to do for the next 6 years until another test comes out ... hence the wanting to move or leave or something ...

I working in the city goverment agency. Is the list you refer to is engineering series civil list from DCAS? I thought the requirement is that you need to have the PE license in NYS at least on 12/4/2012 or before (Final filling period).

I have my CA PE since Jan 2011 and my NY PE lisence since March 2012 and now is Jan 2013 .....I talk to my boss for almost 2 years and still no raise.....I am making 56K now....live in NY.

yea I work with NYC gov and yup had to have the PE by 12/4 (results came out 12/20 and got my number on 1/7). it really sucks! absolutely stupid. And how in the world are you supposed to survive on a salary of even 56K - mind you I'm making less than that - in NY!!! even if you live in the burbs ... absoluteky ridiculous.

File a grievance if you are doing out of title work and believe you should be compensated more than what you are getting paid. There are titles without a PE requirement out there that earn as much, if not more, than engineering titles. Unfortunately, if you were expecting to be treated with respect as an engineer, then the City of NY is not the place to work for. Unless you're connected to someone you will just watch as the managers divide up any new money amongst themselves and then blame the union for asking for a fair contract. And then we have a mayor who thinks putting an MBA or JD in charge of engineers is a smart idea.
I have seveal friends working outside their title, and they jump from assistant engineer to asscoiate project manager, assistant engineer to engineer and engineer level 2 to level 3......................one thing they all done before 2010.

I also have friends try to jump from associate project manager level 2 to 3 but not success in 2011 and his supervisor told him that him that "in order for you not tooget so tired that we are going to take away your level 3 jobs..and you can only forcus on the level 2 job....and I am going to transfer you to the outside construction........believe or not...I have another friend which is assistant engineer (no fe, no pe, never take the associate project manager exam) got a call from different agency and ask him to work there. He still keeps his assistantr engineer title but his salry jump up to associate project manager level 1....they happen in 2008 or 2009....

In nowadys for the city employee that PE need to raise their title from Assistant to engineering level 1 there are only 2 ways......Get on the list (which take the civil service test) that just came out several months ago) or transfer from one section to another.......One of my firend got PE after me (i got by Jan 2011, he got by July 2011), and he transfer his section from outside construction to office work...and he got raise to provisional level 1...

Forget about grievance( no point to fight now, because with the city budget getting low that they will never let you win....and later on you might transfer to a far place which you don't like.....).....I was thinking if I did not get on to the list...that I will go to other job............

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW .. thanks for all the assistance and the recommendations ... I'm in the process of making a list and visiting a bunch of different neighborhoods before we commit to anything and I will defintely put some of these on my list ...

And as for my job not giving me a raise - For NY as a Civil Engineer with 7+ years of experience doing what I'm doing, I'm getting paid pennies ... I signed up for the job with the expectation that getting my PE will give me a 40% bump in salary by September with a promotion ... now that it looks like it's not happening, I'm not making enough money to live ... it's been an unpleasant year and half that I can't continue to do for the next 6 years until another test comes out ... hence the wanting to move or leave or something ...

I working in the city goverment agency. Is the list you refer to is engineering series civil list from DCAS? I thought the requirement is that you need to have the PE license in NYS at least on 12/4/2012 or before (Final filling period).

I have my CA PE since Jan 2011 and my NY PE lisence since March 2012 and now is Jan 2013 .....I talk to my boss for almost 2 years and still no raise.....I am making 56K now....live in NY.

yea I work with NYC gov and yup had to have the PE by 12/4 (results came out 12/20 and got my number on 1/7). it really sucks! absolutely stupid. And how in the world are you supposed to survive on a salary of even 56K - mind you I'm making less than that - in NY!!! even if you live in the burbs ... absoluteky ridiculous.

File a grievance if you are doing out of title work and believe you should be compensated more than what you are getting paid. There are titles without a PE requirement out there that earn as much, if not more, than engineering titles. Unfortunately, if you were expecting to be treated with respect as an engineer, then the City of NY is not the place to work for. Unless you're connected to someone you will just watch as the managers divide up any new money amongst themselves and then blame the union for asking for a fair contract. And then we have a mayor who thinks putting an MBA or JD in charge of engineers is a smart idea.
I have seveal friends working outside their title, and they jump from assistant engineer to asscoiate project manager, assistant engineer to engineer and engineer level 2 to level 3......................one thing they all done before 2010.

I also have friends try to jump from associate project manager level 2 to 3 but not success in 2011 and his supervisor told him that him that "in order for you not tooget so tired that we are going to take away your level 3 jobs..and you can only forcus on the level 2 job....and I am going to transfer you to the outside construction........believe or not...I have another friend which is assistant engineer (no fe, no pe, never take the associate project manager exam) got a call from different agency and ask him to work there. He still keeps his assistantr engineer title but his salry jump up to associate project manager level 1....they happen in 2008 or 2009....

In nowadys for the city employee that PE need to raise their title from Assistant to engineering level 1 there are only 2 ways......Get on the list (which take the civil service test) that just came out several months ago) or transfer from one section to another.......One of my firend got PE after me (i got by Jan 2011, he got by July 2011), and he transfer his section from outside construction to office work...and he got raise to provisional level 1...

Forget about grievance( no point to fight now, because with the city budget getting low that they will never let you win....and later on you might transfer to a far place which you don't like.....).....I was thinking if I did not get on to the list...that I will go to other job............

that's how I feel about the grievances ... no point in making a big fuss about something that's probably not going to get you much (yes, I would have more but I don't think it would be that much more and then after filing grievances, all you would get is grief from management and anytime you want anything else ... not really worth it) ...

that's what I was thinking of doing, just waiting for a position to open up anywhere and apply ... I'm starting to notice a couple of announcements say that you have to have taken the exam in order to apply tho ... that's why I've opened my options to other states too ... if you look at the cost of living and pay in just about any other state (even public employees in some of the other states that I've looked at make more than NYC public employees!! Insane!!), it really makes you think twice about living in NY ... I'd much rather stay here with family living here as well, but honestly it's getting harder to justify ...

that's how I feel about the grievances ... no point in making a big fuss about something that's probably not going to get you much (yes, I would have more but I don't think it would be that much more and then after filing grievances, all you would get is grief from management and anytime you want anything else ... not really worth it) ...

that's what I was thinking of doing, just waiting for a position to open up anywhere and apply ... I'm starting to notice a couple of announcements say that you have to have taken the exam in order to apply tho ... that's why I've opened my options to other states too ... if you look at the cost of living and pay in just about any other state (even public employees in some of the other states that I've looked at make more than NYC public employees!! Insane!!), it really makes you think twice about living in NY ... I'd much rather stay here with family living here as well, but honestly it's getting harder to justify ...

when i worked for the city i filed 2 grievances in 2 years and both got approve -with backpay from the day i filed the grievance to the day that it my new title was approved. my salary went from 40k to around 70k three years after i started working, and without a PE. I was the best in my group and my boss knew that and he also knew that if my grievance wasn't approved I'd get up and leave (I had alrady started interviewing for other jobs).

as long as you have a permanent title, you should fight for what you are rightly entitled to. it's a SHAM for incompetent managers to be making 150K while their engineers can barely afford to pay the rent AND are constantly being victimized.

when i worked for the city i filed 2 grievances in 2 years and both got approve -with backpay from the day i filed the grievance to the day that it my new title was approved. my salary went from 40k to around 70k three years after i started working, and without a PE. I was the best in my group and my boss knew that and he also knew that if my grievance wasn't approved I'd get up and leave (I had alrady started interviewing for other jobs).

as long as you have a permanent title, you should fight for what you are rightly entitled to. it's a SHAM for incompetent managers to be making 150K while their engineers can barely afford to pay the rent AND are constantly being victimized.
When was those 2 files? I didn't hear any approve after 2010.

In Government, a raise or promotion does not depend on your PE ow how good you are. This country is heading south!

In Government, a raise or promotion does not depend on your PE ow how good you are. This country is heading south!
agree.

www.city-data.com/forum/

Probably the best site to get cost of living updates and info from people who live in the area you're interested in.

Back