FE Calculator Opinions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which calculator to use on FE exam?

• Total voters
Why not just use one on the computer since the ref manual is now in the computer as well.
:blink: I assume you are talking about the Windows calculator? Have you used that one much at all? It is severely limited IMO. Try doing matrix multiplication or hyperbolics on the Win calculator. LOL
i was being sarcastic...but it doesn't have to be a windows calc. Just a calculator program so everyone is using the same thing and one less thing for the testing center to mess up.

looks like they are. ncees youtube site - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEAMgsD8xEo
That's AWESOME!!!

Why not just use one on the computer since the ref manual is now in the computer as well.
:blink: I assume you are talking about the Windows calculator? Have you used that one much at all? It is severely limited IMO. Try doing matrix multiplication or hyperbolics on the Win calculator. LOL
i was being sarcastic...but it doesn't have to be a windows calc. Just a calculator program so everyone is using the same thing and one less thing for the testing center to mess up.

looks like they are. ncees youtube site - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEAMgsD8xEo
That's AWESOME!!!

The way I read their new rules, you can still bring your own calculator as long as it's on the approved list. But if yours craps out or if you brought one not on the approved list, you've got a fall back.

^that seriously is a cool simulator of the TI30xs. If I had to take it again...thank heavens I am down with all this nonsense...I'd probably start out being stubborn and use my own, but by the end of the test I bet I woulkd have been using the one on the computer ...

To answer your question for the CBT, I wasn't allowed to bring the cover of my calculator into the exam room. I had to store it in my locker.

My two cents:

If you're taking the EE exam, go with the Casio FX-115ES Plus

That's AWESOME!!!

The way I read their new rules, you can still bring your own calculator as long as it's on the approved list. But if yours craps out or if you brought one not on the approved list, you've got a fall back.

I can't watch at work because of youtube being blocked, but is the program downloadable so that people can practice the exam in that sort of situation? In my mind that would just be another variable to mess with my head...

mula-abacus__21167_PE106157_S4.JPG

js-803.jpg

who needs a calculator?

:dunno:

Well that isn't Verizon's fault. That's the vendor for not maintaining stock levels. ;)

I used the TI-36X pro because I was used to using TI-89 in college. The TI-36X can solve systems of equations, definite integrals, derivatives, has an equation solver, can do any operation with matrices (addition, multiplication, transpose, determinant, inverse, etc), and numerous other features. It was a huge help on the exam, and help me save time and stupid mistakes.

Check out this calculator tutorial for the TI-36X Pro on how to use the equation solver functionality to avoid using the quadratic formula on a mathematics problem involving the distance formula: Youtube Link Click Here

<iframe style="width:120px;height:240px;" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="//ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&OneJS=1&Operation=GetAdHtml&MarketPlace=US&source=ac&ref=tf_til&ad_type=product_link&tracking_id=prepineer-20&marketplace=amazon&region=US&placement=B004NBZB2Y&asins=B004NBZB2Y&linkId=FWUFBPVR7NP7CPCV&show_border=true&link_opens_in_new_window=true">
</iframe>

Back