FE Calculator Opinions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which calculator to use on FE exam?

• Total voters
While I am old and when I took the test you could still use the TI-89 calculators, I am speaking from experience, when you study use the calculator you are going to use on the test.

So there are three major brands of calculators we can use. I have always used the TI-84 for all my engineering classes.

Which calculator would we most useful on the exam, or which on can do the most functions?

TI Calculators:

• TI-30Xa
  • TI-30Xa SOLAR
  • TI-30Xa SE
  • TI-30XS Multiview
  • TI-30X IIB
  • TI-30X IIS
  • TI-36X II
  • TI-36X SOLAR

HP calculators:

33s or 35s

Casio calculators
I am an avid HP RPN user although for the FE exam I found that the Casio FX115 to be more suitable for matrix operatins and many other functions needed for the FE exam. The reason I knew to switch for that exam was by the advice of Tesmaster's FE review course. I did take my HP 33 in as I had several formulas programed into it. I think I used the HP twice. So my vote is for the Casio when it comes to the FE or exams in general. I use an HP for work I like the storage and RPN style for grading etc. but stuck with the Casio for my PE exam as well.

I used the TI-36X Pro for the FE last April. I really liked it and found it very nice for matrix problems. When I got ready to start studying for the PE (took it this October) I couldn't find that dang calculator to save my life. Wound up buying a TI-30XS (I think, it was whatever the most capable -30 model turned out to be) because I couldn't find a local -36X Pro and was out of time to order from Amazon. It worked just fine for the PE as I didn't need to do fancy matrix calculations on that test.

While I am old and when I took the test you could still use the TI-89 calculators, I am speaking from experience, when you study use the calculator you are going to use on the test.
Yup, me too. I used my TI-89..... and my own pencil!! when I took the FE Exam.

I used ti36X since I am pretty familiar with TI calculator as I had a TI84 back in college ages ago..

I was raised on the TI's used a TI-30 and TI-89 in college and used the TI-30 on the FE. However I picked up a Casio 115 and use it at work. Overall I think the Casio is the more powerful tool, and probably will use it on the PE.

Never liked the RPN of HP

I used both the TI-36 and the Casio 115 .... the TI is more familiar to me, and used that for run of the mill calculations, the Casio is very powerful, and used that for a few more focused calcs.

Is it allowed to use the cover of the Casio fx 115 es plus which contains units conversion keys? Or do we have to use the calc. with no cover during the exam?

I used a TI-30XA for the exam in October 2013 (Pittsburgh area). No one asked me to discard the cover, which also contained the manufacturer's standard "cheat sheet" for functions. My advise is to learn all the functions you can and commit them to memory. Don't relay on the cheat sheet. I found that for the statistics and probability questions, the cheat sheet wouldn't have helped anyway- you either knew how to use that funciton on your calculator or you didn't.

going CBT format I am shocked they are letting people bring in their own calc now. Why not just use one on the computer since the ref manual is now in the computer as well.

Why not just use one on the computer since the ref manual is now in the computer as well.
:blink: I assume you are talking about the Windows calculator? Have you used that one much at all? It is severely limited IMO. Try doing matrix multiplication or hyperbolics on the Win calculator. LOL

Why not just use one on the computer since the ref manual is now in the computer as well.
:blink: I assume you are talking about the Windows calculator? Have you used that one much at all? It is severely limited IMO. Try doing matrix multiplication or hyperbolics on the Win calculator. LOL
i was being sarcastic...but it doesn't have to be a windows calc. Just a calculator program so everyone is using the same thing and one less thing for the testing center to mess up.

i was being sarcastic...but it doesn't have to be a windows calc. Just a calculator program so everyone is using the same thing and one less thing for the testing center to mess up.

looks like they are. ncees youtube site - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEAMgsD8xEo

Back