Father charged with murder after leaving kid in car all day

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely a good take-away. But I'm still wondering what warning signs his family or community might have picked up on, if there was some way this could have been prevented. Short of asking RW to do a daily patrol of all the cars he sees across the street.

I don't know about anywhere else, but several of the stores here actually have signs on the door asking patrons to keep an eye out for this... I noticed it first at walmart but others have followed the example...

I want the investigation to be concluded and the evidence laid out in detail. Not to gawk, but to know what the warning signs were. All of the photos and personal stories released of this guy make him seem like a regular dude with no particular motivation to hurt his kid. It feels so futile to read about this case and yet have no idea what we're supposed to take away from it.

there was a local shooting on Father day during which the dad killed his whole family and then shot himself... perhaps we aren't supposed to take anything away from tragedy such as these except to squeeze the kiddles a little tighter and love our spouses a little bit stronger...?

I think those situations are a little different. Murder-suicides are often "I don't want to suffer and I don't want my family to suffer, either" or "I can't live without you, so we're all going to die."

Definitely a good take-away. But I'm still wondering what warning signs his family or community might have picked up on, if there was some way this could have been prevented. Short of asking RW to do a daily patrol of all the cars he sees across the street.

I don't know about anywhere else, but several of the stores here actually have signs on the door asking patrons to keep an eye out for this... I noticed it first at walmart but others have followed the example...

I'm thinking more along the lines of what signs he might have shown of mental illness or sociopathic tendencies. Who knows what other kinds of abuse he put his kid through before this happened, and was there anyone who even noticed?

This is a terrible story.

I could go along with the negligence "I forgot" story...maybe he researched hot cars after his son died, all the news stories state that nothing has been said about when he researched this, in some sick way, I could understand that he would want to know how long it took especially if it was negligence...but not only did he forget to drop off his son at daycare, he forgot to pick him him up from daycare, too. This exact same thing happened here about five years ago, on-campus daycare at a high-tech company, dad forgot, remembered when he was leaving...Awful. So, I don't buy that he forgot twice. The really awful part was that someone saw the baby in car about 30 minutes after the guy got to work and reported it to security...Security looked, couldn't find the car, stopped looking. I am sorry, but if I saw that, I would be calling 911, and waiting by the car...

This makes me sick to my stomach every time I see this thread.....

So messed up.

I said it Friday and I still say it. I f!K hate this story. It's so sad that it is a reality in this world. There was a story here in NJ a few years back. Dude took his 2 yr old and strapped to his car seat, threw him into a creek in a park. Some people disgust me. I hold true to what Supe said. No more than 5 days in prison. Even the filthiest of criminals have morals. No kids....

Although it is very disturbing the way this story has turned, I still have to comment on some of the early responses:

I agree with the statements below. We may want to believe we would never forget and let something like this happen, but I believe we all run too busy and too ragged at times, and that we can mess up.

It can happen to anyone. Only takes a stressful moment, being in a hurry, doing something you are not used to normally do, a night without any sleep, or simply thinking that you are too smart for something like that to happen to you.
AGREE DK

Like DK said, it can happen to anyone. A break in routine, a stressful schedule filled with to-do items, and a sleeping/quietly distracted child can all combine to lead to unintended tragedy.

For those who aren't parents, have you ever experienced "auto-driving"? For example, when you're driving to a meeting or some place in the same direction as your route home, and before you know it you're parked in your driveway with no idea how you missed the exit you were supposed to take? It's kind of like that. Granted the consequences are much, much worse, but we all get comfortable in our routines. Stories like these are a reminder that we can't allow ourselves to become complacent.
I agree with this statement fully. People are too busy in general.

but my point is, everyone has things like that happen, it's just that many times people are lucky enough to not have tragic consequences.
well put

cnn is flashing a headline that the parents had two life insurance policys on the kid...that in and of itself shouldn't be a headline unless they were having $$ troubles and motive for whatever happened. we have two insurance policys (one through my work for $10k and a rider on my life insurnace policy for $25) on minisnick but that doesn't mean we are going to try to harm him.

umm excuse me CSB he said "Errect Penis"

I wonder what his parents and other family members think now?

people whore around all the time without killing their fucking kids....

of course I never thought Casey Anthony would get acquitted either..

Back