Exam Questions using references

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S28

Reaction score
So I purchased all the references for the Construction depth module as recommended by NCEES... I've skimmed through them, tabbed some stuff... but I don't use these references day to day at work, and can't find any sample questions which would ask anything from them (for obvious reasons)...

So I guess my question is, without getting into actual previous exam specifics, on the exam will a question that requires knowledge from the references site the specific reference to use in the question itself? I keep picturing myself being stumped on a question in the exam where it's asking me some generic "according to current code".... answer is A B C or D. And me being stumped because I'm not entirely sure which reference I need to go to to find out what the question is asking.

Can anyone give me a little guidance?

The questions will not direct you to the reference you are to use.

For practice selecting the appropriate reference you are going to want to work practice problems (as many as you can get your hands on). The six minute solutions books are probably a good start. I used the CERM and the accompanying practice problem book to study.

Thanks for clarifying!

Just one more quick question, wouldn't the practice problem book that companions the CERM just ask questions which can be found in the CERM? That wouldn't really help me practice looking up things in the Construction Depth references would it?

No, the accompanying CERM practice problems required you to locate and utilize information from references other then the CERM. The CERM would often guide you on which reference you could locate the appropriate information rather then providing that information in the CERM itself. I assume other practice problem sets would do the same.

I'm speaking from experience on the Transportation exam, not the Construction exam, but I believe the structure of the questions in this situation would remain the same on both.

i disagree with both points.

the construction six minute solution book is no good. i gave it shot, against my better judgement after reading amazon reviews, and was disappointed in its quality, organization, and content.

the question will direct you to which code to use. eg. per OSHA 29 CFR Subpart L - what is the requirement for.....

read the answers first, then skim the sub part until they show up. these are gimmes

Really good question just spend some more time reviewing the references and you will see their use. Besides knowing the basic concepts and formulas of the other disciplines, the whole key to success is knowing what is in your reference books and being able to find it quickly. If you continue to review the references and tab them you will do fine. Some of the questions will require formulas from the books others are just word problems and the answer is clearly stated in the reference.

These are the books you will need for the construction morning and afternoon, mostly for the Temporary Structures and Worker, Health, Safety Section(OSHA) sections.

1. Design Loads on Structures During Construction (SEI/ASCE 37-02)

2. Formwork for Concrete 7th edition

3. ACI 318-08 Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete and Commentary:

4. ACI 347-04: Guide to Formwork for Concrete

5. 1926 OSHA Construction Industry Regulations Book (July 2008) - as Mofftarkin stated these are gimmes

6. Standard Practice for Bracing Masonry Walls Under Construction

These books you may need for the morning in Structures and Transportation, but will use in the afternoon for part of the Other topics

7. AISC: Steel Construction Manual (13th) (the latest version of AISC steel manual)

8. NDS and Wood Design Package

9. Part VI of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), Part VI: Standards and Guides for Traffic Controls for Street and Highway Construction, Maintenance, Utility, and Incident Management Operations.

Hope that helps a little.

I hope the gimme's you guys are talking about are gimme's instead of the crazy long problems Six Minute Solutions asks. One problem, which called to use the formwork for concrete reference, honestly had like 4 steps to it. All of which took time to find information within the reference itself so you could perform more calculations. There's no way anyone even familiar with the material that used it every day would be able to solve the problem in six minutes.

There will be a few questions with 3-4 steps but there will also be a few questions that you will understand without having to look anything up. The SMS are definitely a lot harder than the actual exam.

"Know where to find the information and how to use it - That's the secret of success." - Albert Einstein

www.learncivilengineering.com

Back