Exam Problem Prioritization - Which to focus on more?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abourne

Reaction score
I was planning on completing all the following prior to the exam:

1) MERM Sample Exam - AM / PM - 80 problems

2) NCEES Sample Exam - AM / PM - 80 problems

3) Six Minute Solutions (SMS) Thermo - AM - 20 problems

4) SMS Thermo - PM - 65 problems

5) SMS Machine Design - AM - 20 problems

6) SMS HVAC - AM - 20 problems

I put all these into a speadsheet and determined there are about 280 problems total here. After solving about 20 a.m. problems in MERM, I

analyzed the spreadsheet and determined if I spend just 6-7 minutes per problem, this would be over 1800 minutes, or 31 hours.

I find that some of the problems are taking longer than 7 minutes and I need to take breaks.

I can't possibly do all these problems in the allotted time period so I'm looking to prioritize.

I've done all the homework so I have that as a reference.

A colleage with a PhD in Mechanical who took the PE exam last year told me that the NCEES problems are most like the exam. He also told me that the MERM problems are far more difficult that what you'll see on the exam.

I have to prioritize which problems I'm going to do.

I plan to complete the NCEES exam either late tonight or sometime tomorrow, I'm 75% through it now.

I've completed 20 of the morning MERM problems and will probably complete the second half of this.

I've decided to relax on Thursday, the day before the exam, so I want to complete my practice problems from the options above by early Wednesday evening.

Since I plan to shortly have completed:

1) NCEES

2) MERM - a.m. (40 problems)

Any suggestions on how I prioritize from my list above?

I'm learning towards SMS Thermo moreso than MERM PM and glancing through the sample problems I'm not going to have time to complete.

On another note, I hope to pass this exam the first time around. However, if not, I plan on taking this again in April. I've invested so much into this and have learned a great deal. If this is the case,

I plan to spend January through April primarily practicing problems, rather than learning the concepts the first time around.

TIA

EDIT:

The reason why I haven't started these until the tail end is as follows:

I've been taking Rich's MEPE review course which was 15 sessions spanned over 17 weeks. The last two lectures were Heat Transfer and Combustion so close to the exam. Hence, through the 17 weeks, I've been reviewing concepts, homework, etc. to keep up with the schedule.

Again, I do have my class notes, homework, and other material for this exam.

Just want to indicate I'm not a procrastinator here.

There's so much to do and no matter how hard I work, I feel I'm always behind on something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back