Exam Preparation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redskinsdb21

Reaction score
I can now do Spinup, CI and NCEES exams pretty quickly....about 4 hrs on NCEES and a little less on CI's, probably 2 hours on spin-up...is this adequate enough? any other suggestions?

I can now do Spinup, CI and NCEES exams pretty quickly....about 4 hrs on NCEES and a little less on CI's, probably 2 hours on spin-up...is this adequate enough? any other suggestions?
Hi..how do you prepared..what books do you used? I'm prepping for Oct

How well do you do on them? Are you looking formulas up in a book or using a binder? How well do you know the NEC, is it tabbed? The speed sounds good, so you are definitely doing well on time.

i HAVE THE NEC DOWN PRETTY WELL..EVERYTHING FROM MOTOR DISCONNECTS TO CONDUIT FILL IN CH.9...i HAVE A SECTION OF NOTES EACH FOR 3/1 PHASE POWER, LUMINAIRES, MOTORS, RELAYS, SYMMETRICAL COMPONENTS, NON-LINEAR ELECTRONICS, ENGR. ECON., TRANSFORMERS, FAULTS, LADDER LOGIC, GROUNDING, INSULATION TESTING?

OH YEHA, i HAVE DONE THEM ENOUGH WERE i AM SCORING AT LEAST 95 % OR BASICALLY GETTING THEM ALL RIGHT AT THIS POINT

I should hope you get faster answering the same questions of the same test.

It's more about understanding the question, understanding where to find the information, understanding alternate ways the question can be asked, not so much the sample test problems themselves.

i DID TAKE IT ONCE BEFORE...i THOUGHT i GOT LIKE AN 80 PERCENT..WRONG!...I THINK IT WAS LIKE A 48..I ONLY DID THE NCEES PRACTICE EXAM.

i REALLY DONT FEEL LIKE i KNOW MUCH MORE THIS TIME...JUST MORE PRACTICE...WHICH WORRIES ME...THEY WERE SOME QUESTIONS ON THE EXAM THAT i HAD NO CLUE ABOUT OR WOULD KNOW WERE TO FIND OTHER THAN GOOGLE IN WHICH CASE I DONT HAVE ON THE EXAM..FOR EXAMPLE..THERE WAS AN IEEE QUESTION

For me, I don't think I knew more the second time either, but having things more organized and having more practice exam experience under my belt, gave me more time to look for the odd questions. I ran out of time on my first exam, felt really rushed and didn't have enough time to get comfortable with the material. The second test, I had a good pace, went through the exam twice and still left about an hour-hour and a half early both morning and afternoon. I really thought the first test was twice as hard as the second attempt, but in reality, I was better prepared and was more comfortable and that was the difference

DO YOU HAVE AND RECOMMENDATIONS ON WHAT TYPE OF PROBLEMS, ODD PROBLEMS, ETC. THAT YOU LOOKED THROUGH YOURSELF THAT MAY BE HELPFUL?

The odd, unusual problems won't make you pass or fail, so don't kill yourself trying to have every single question covered...I spent some time and tabbed all of my books (transformers, induction machines, transmission lines, ect). I felt that saved me time when I had technical questions, not numerical problems. You can't know it all, use the listing of books recommended on this site and use some general tabs so you can get close to the right part of the book without having to hit the index. I would recommend having a copy of the ANSI/IEEE standard device numbers with you, this was in several of the practice tests i believe. if you are taking the practice tests with your material and getting +/-95%, I'd say your pretty ready...

WELL I HOPE YOUR CORRECT..I DO HAVE THE CONCEPTS DOWN AS WELL...OR AT LEAST I THINK I DO..EVERYTHING FROM PHASE SHIFTS TO COORDINATION OF RELAYS TO NEC..JUST HOPING FOR THE BEST

Yes, I did spin ups first...they were a great way to build confidence and they cover some things that the CI didn't. I really believe that CI and NCEES are more closely related to the test, but the Spin ups were a good starting place. The Spin Ups have lots of errors, or at least the first version did, so you have to be careful of the answers. You can do a whole spin up morning or afternoon session over lunch or in a hour or so. They have a good visual basis and it kind of reminded me of quiz cards, not a test...

I am from Ga and taking the electrical power in October. Anyone else taking power in October??

The electrical forum is really quiet???

I am from Ga and taking the electrical power in October. Anyone else taking power in October??

The electrical forum is really quiet???
Everybody is studying. I'll be in Macon too.

How are you doing on your practice tests?

I have done all 5 spin-ups, 4 CI's and NCEES at least 7 or 8 times since March. I am getting high 80s low 90s on spin-up & CI, but NCEES is a little tougher. Are you taking the GA Tech Class?

Back