Exam done ... now what?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svg

Reaction score
Seems weird to watch TV and hangout without the guilt anymore?! my brain keeps saying "you should be studying" ... I guess it will go away, eventually and I will be back to my normal routine.

Is it possible to be back to a normal life? phew!

The 60 day purgatory between the exam and the results is anything but normal.

You should expect to go through several emotional phases between now and then:

a- relief. you're done, nothing more you can do. This is typically experienced in the few hours/days immediately after the exam

b- second-guessing. You will remember bits and pieces of several problems that you think you might have done wrong. Because you're not looking at the questions anymore, you tend to start combining problems in your head and you begin to think you did them wrong. You may even lookup some of this in your references to see what you did wrong. This will start shortly after the relief stage and can last for several weeks with each passing week getting worse.

c- failure. this is the apex of the second-guessing phase. you have convinced yourself you have missed every question you remember on the exam and that you should probably start studying for the next administration of the exam.

d- restlessness. This starts about 2-3 weeks before the results are released. You just can't understand on why it takes so damn long to get just a single 80 question scantron graded.

e- ulcers. These develop the last few days before you get your results. you realize you're one of the last states to get results and everyone online is already getting thiers, and you're on your state's website refreshing the page every 2 minutes for 3 days straight (even after hours).

f- results. either pure joy, or heartache for obvious reasons.

Dexman, I have been reading descriptions like this for a few years now and always said to myself, "that will never happen to me." Well now on the waiting for results side of things, it is bleak. I don't think my mental anguish will manifest in physical conditions such as ulcers, but that remains to be seen.

Back