Environmental Engineer Jobs

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiko

Reaction score
:juggle: I am thinking all day to check for jobs online. Don't know where to start. Traditional methods such as CareerBuilder are not most effective.

You should focus on your university's career center. If you've relocated since graduation and don't see much in your current area, I would try networking with friends or acquaintances in your current city instead.

I see jobs in major cities like NYC listed on LinkedIn all the time. Make sure your profile is completely filled out and it'll email jobs that it thinks you might be a match with. Make sure everything you send out (resume, cover letters) are written well and have a friend look them over. I know we toss anything that isn't well written...we write too many reports to hire someone who can't be bothered to write their cover letter well when they want us to hire them.

Thanks. i find jobs in other states but idea of moving is very new to me. :40oz: I am such a baby when it comes to taking risk.

Avoid Careerbuilding and Monster like the plague. They are spam sites for entry level sales opportunists and pyramid scammers.

I'd start by going to Linkedin and creating a profile and start networking. I have often seen cited that 80% of all job opportunities are not advertised publically. In my experience, I don't know how real that percentage is, but every job I have gotten was not advertised. I am not saying that website is the end-all be-all of job hunting but its a great place to create a solid resume profile that you can use and get you synced up with events in your specific industry.

I moved out of state a couple times for various offers. You just need to be very careful what you are getting yourself into. make sure the company that's promising you the deal is reputable and can fulfill their end of the bargain. There are quite a few of these start-up mom and pop Design Consultant Services type outfits that have no capital to keep you employed every week and are looking for a resume to put in a hat on a bid they are making. I'd go and interview in person - always.

Also bear in mind that the odds are your first few positions are only going to be a stepping stones along the career path, especially early on. Just go into it knowing that if the job isn't in a place you'd seriously consider putting your permenant roots down, don't fret about it. No one says you have to stay someplace. Company & Employee reciprocating loyalty is unfortunately a thing of the past in my experience. Always look for the next opportunity.

Back