Envelope Discussion

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrum

@@--@@
Reaction score
Does it matter if its "Thick" or "Thin" ?

Like does "Thin" = Fail ?

:dunno:

The format has been the same for the past couple years. Pass or fail, you get the same size envelope. Passing envelope will have one letter in it congratulating you on passing (yes, they congratulate you) and some other wording about contacting your State Board. The failing letter has 2 letters in it, one stating you failed and another with the diagnostic breakdown of how you did. The breakdown is shown as percentages of questions answered CORRECTLY in the each respective discipline for the morning and afternoon. Hope that clears up any misconceptions.

I take pics of mine when I get it. I don't think I passed.
I think I'll do the same and post 'em.

It's going to be exciting around here when the letters starting coming.

I will either :bow: to the mighty PE gods for giving me the knowledge to pass, or :suicide: myself and start studying again.

I'd have to imagine studying a second time, no matter how much it sucks to redo it, has to be easier, because you still remember some of the first go around, and have all the notes and references you collectted.

The format has been the same for the past couple years. Pass or fail, you get the same size envelope. Passing envelope will have one letter in it congratulating you on passing (yes, they congratulate you) and some other wording about contacting your State Board. The failing letter has 2 letters in it, one stating you failed and another with the diagnostic breakdown of how you did. The breakdown is shown as percentages of questions answered CORRECTLY in the each respective discipline for the morning and afternoon. Hope that clears up any misconceptions.
This is exactly correct.

One sheet of paper for passing, two sheets for failing.

I don't think an envelope with two sheets in it is very thick. I can't tell the difference.

All I know is when I see a letter from the Vermont Office of Professions, I'm going to scream either way.

If I pass, it'll be like a little girl screaming because her parents got her a pony.

If I fail, it'll be like Luke after Vader cut off his arm and told him he was his father.

Would it be a 9" x 12" envelope (ie, full page) or one that will accomodate a folded letter?

Ed

Last edited:
When I got my letter, the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue arrived the same day. What to do? Which to open first?

I opened the letter from the board and saw that it had the word congratulations in the first sentence so I put it down and started looking at SI.

Then I thought it might have said, "Congratulations. Even though you failed miserabley, you are being permitted to take the exam again." So I put down SI, read the whole letter, saw that I passed and then started looking at the pretty girls again....

:true:

Anyone- how do the letters start off when the don't say "congratulations"? In other words, if they are bad news, how do they start off? Something like, "You poor bastard..." ???

Ed

Dear so and so:

We laugh at you as we inform you that you failed the PE miserably. We only approved your application to sit for the exam because PE Board meetings are boring, and we needed a laugh that night.

Enclosed please find an application to re-flunk the exam in October, as well as a hand full of each of our pubes as a parting gift.

Best of luck next time.

Sincerely,

Your State's PE Board :thatsgay:

Dear blah blah blah:

We regret to inform you the you failed the Principles and Practice of Engineering Examination taken on October 28, 2005. The attached diagnostic page, which indicates the percentage of problems answered correctly by subject, has been provided to help you better prepare for future exams.

If you wish to sit for a future examination, please send a completed PE Re-Apply Form...........................

THE ABOVE IS THE FIRST PARAGRAPH FROM MY LETTER. AND YES, THE 'FAILED' IS BOLDED AND UNDERLINED.

Last edited by a moderator:
DVINNY,

Thanks for sharing that. I think it took some of the potential sting away should I get such a somynabeechin letter.

Ed

in new york you get 3 pieces of paper - the letter, the diagnostic, and a beige colored piece of paper that is the application to take again. My husband called me at work to tell me it arrived. As soon as he mentioed there was a beige sheet I knew I was doomed.

Sorry to hear that ehp, I know that feeling of doom. :(

AND :wel

Congrats on being member #50!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
How about we petition the NCEES to mark the envelopes according to pass or fail. Maybe one could be a yellow envelope and the other could be white.

I think the drama of getting it, opening it, unfolding it and trying to focus on the first word ("congratulations" or not) is going to be an engineering feat in itself. :blink:

Ed

I got a failure letter from October's exam. I remember this (thick or thin) topic being addressed prior to me opening the mailbox that day - so I knew what I was looking for (thin).

When I felt that letter there was no doubt in my mind that I failed.

There were maybe 3 or 4 sheets of paper in mine (failure letter, diagnostics paperwork showing what % you got in each area and also at least another sheet or two explaining how and when you reapply). My point here is that it was DEFINITELY more than a single sheet of paper, I could tell that from the get-go.

I'm gonna be real mad if I get another thick one in the mail.

Back