Electrical: What worked for you to pass the PE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2. Develop a matrix or some method to organize your reference material, information, and solved problems. This was extremely helpful during the exam to reference. It had to stay in a 3-ring binder, but it saved be a great amount of time. See an example of mine at http://www.s8inc.com/pe.xls
This file is no longer available on-line. Does anyone have a copy?
bump
Can I still get a copy of the file, please? :eyebrows:
Can I still get a copy of the file also, please?

2. Develop a matrix or some method to organize your reference material, information, and solved problems. This was extremely helpful during the exam to reference. It had to stay in a 3-ring binder, but it saved be a great amount of time. See an example of mine at http://www.s8inc.com/pe.xls
This file is no longer available on-line. Does anyone have a copy?
bump
Can I still get a copy of the file, please? :eyebrows:
Can I still get a copy of the file also, please?
Me too, me too! Please may I have a copy of this file too. Organization is not my strong point. :)

Calling EE PE's? Any electricals have any advice about what worked for you to pass the PE?
I may annoy people by saying so, but I passed the EE-Power-PE exam the first time without studying (it was my mother's idea, what can I say). I couldn't bring myself to study. That said, I do have a lot of experience (15 years) in a variety of environments, and plenty of experience working with the NEC, which helps. (I did study like mad for the FE, which I took 10 years out of school, and passed it on the first shot.)

My advice is as follows:

Bring Earplugs. The room is likely noisy and filled with a lot of engineers who are freaking out and shuffling a lot of papers looking for the answers to the exam questions.

Bring Snacks. Follow the rules on what you can & can't have in the room, of course, but you'll want some trail mix and chocolate for lunchtime. This is not a day to be on a diet, but don't carb-load either.

Stay Loose. No, really, I mean it. Don't forget to breathe. Stretch, take bathroom breaks and be sure to get some sun and fresh air at lunchtime. If you are smart enough to be sitting in that room, you probably have some brains inside you. Use them and trust your reasoning skills. Or as they say in Hitchhikers Guide, "Don't Panic".

Cherry Pick the Exam. Answer what you know first.

Don't Overpack. it will only distract you. My reference books: The NEC latest edition, Ugly's Electrical Reference (aka the little yellow book), Electrical Engineering Pocket Handbook (aka the little EASA blue & black book), the Cutler-Hammer Consulting Application Guide (very useful), and any study guide books (but I don't think I opened them during the exam either). Be sure to chuckle at the structural engineers who will be lugging bookcases & rolling suitcases full of books, looking like they are going to some strange sleep-away camp.

Latest posts

Back