EIT with a Master's Degree? (no bachelor's)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrookedAndy

Reaction score
I have a bachelor's degree in Architecture and a master's in Civil Engineering (ABET-accredited). I passed the FE a year ago (while I was still enrolled in school) but I have read that one must have a 4-year degree in order to become officially certified. My master's degree is certainly not a 4-year degree, as that term normally refers to a bachelor's degree.

I graduated in May, but am uncertain if I can become EIT-certified without a bachelor's degree. Any answers/advice out there?

Thanks in advance!

I have a bachelor's degree in Architecture and a master's in Civil Engineering (ABET-accredited). I passed the FE a year ago (while I was still enrolled in school) but I have read that one must have a 4-year degree in order to become officially certified. My master's degree is certainly not a 4-year degree, as that term normally refers to a bachelor's degree.
I graduated in May, but am uncertain if I can become EIT-certified without a bachelor's degree. Any answers/advice out there?

Thanks in advance!
depends on your state.

Short answer is with out experience, probably no.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which state are you in?

Are you sure that your Master degree was ABET? Last time I checked most of the master degree programs offered are not ABET...just because the BS at the school is accredited does not mean the MS is. (There are a few MS programs out there that are specifically accredited though...)

Which state are you in?Are you sure that your Master degree was ABET? Last time I checked most of the master degree programs offered are not ABET...just because the BS at the school is accredited does not mean the MS is. (There are a few MS programs out there that are specifically accredited though...)
I am currently in South Carolina, and I have a Master of Civil Engineering degree from NC State. After further research, NCState does not have an accredited graduate program, though its undergraduate engineering programs certainly are accredited.

In order to matriculate into the graduate program, I had to take an extensive list of undergraduate engineering courses at NCState. I had to pass the same engineering curriculum as undergraduate students, minus the general electives/humanities requirements that are required for a proper undergraduate degree.

I repeat: I have already passed the FE. After completing 4 years of experience under a PE, will I be able to take the PE and obtain official licensure?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back