EET Seismic Review

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I studied Electrical Engineering in college. Went after my Civil PE this year. Passed the 8 hour in April. Passed the state specific exams in October. I would not have been able to pass the Seismic exam if I would have not taken the EET Seismic Prep Class. It is definitely work the time and money. 

Hey guys...since so many of you raved about the EET Seismic course with Dr. Ibrahim, I decided to take the course and am now approaching the Spring CA Seismic exam soon. For those of you who took the EET Seismic course, what else do you think we should add to the Summary/Cheat sheets? I have supplemented it with little notes in the margins, but one thing I noticed is that the tables, charts, and equations are not labeled with the ASCE or IBC code references like in the workbook. Do you guys think this is important to have on a summary sheet? Anything other tables or code pages that we should add to the Summary sheets that would be beneficial for the test? 

Thanks!

Hey guys...since so many of you raved about the EET Seismic course with Dr. Ibrahim, I decided to take the course and am now approaching the Spring CA Seismic exam soon. For those of you who took the EET Seismic course, what else do you think we should add to the Summary/Cheat sheets? I have supplemented it with little notes in the margins, but one thing I noticed is that the tables, charts, and equations are not labeled with the ASCE or IBC code references like in the workbook. Do you guys think this is important to have on a summary sheet? Anything other tables or code pages that we should add to the Summary sheets that would be beneficial for the test? 

Thanks!
I remember we got copies of the relevant tables from ASCE and IBC/CBC. I can't remember if I needed anything more. I don't believe there were any questions in the test that made me say... darn it, I should have bought the ASCE and IBC codes. Everything that I needed was covered in the notes and the supplemental information provided by the instructor.

Good luck.

I studied Electrical Engineering in college. Went after my Civil PE this year. Passed the 8 hour in April. Passed the state specific exams in October. I would not have been able to pass the Seismic exam if I would have not taken the EET Seismic Prep Class. It is definitely work the time and money. 
Just wondering how you got accepted to take the exam by the board?

I thought they were looking for relevant education and experience to sit for the exam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard only good things about EET and Dr. Ibrahim. I will take their course for the SE exam sometime soon...

I remember we got copies of the relevant tables from ASCE and IBC/CBC. I can't remember if I needed anything more. I don't believe there were any questions in the test that made me say... darn it, I should have bought the ASCE and IBC codes. Everything that I needed was covered in the notes and the supplemental information provided by the instructor.

Good luck.
Great! That's good to hear you felt like all the handouts were sufficient. Hopefully nothing will seem too out of the ordinary on the exam. Thank you!

I signed up for the EET seismic review for this Spring.  My exam is in about 3.5 weeks.  However, I am only about half way through the videos (including homeworks/workshops/etc).  I was busy with family stuff the past month & also I have been studying for surveying, which is why I fell behind.  My question is do you think it's worth it to go through the rest of the videos in the next few weeks? 

I am thinking of just reading through the rest of the textbook quickly, so I can start doing practice problems and practice exams.  I feel like doing practice problems/exams is more important to my preparation at this point, so that's why I want to kind of just go through the book.  Sitting through the videos takes a lot of time, and he pretty much reads from the textbook anyways.  However, I know that his videos occasionally mix in examples or little bits of advice that aren't in the textbook.  So I am conflicted.  Any thoughts?

I signed up for the EET seismic review for this Spring.  My exam is in about 3.5 weeks.  However, I am only about half way through the videos (including homeworks/workshops/etc).  I was busy with family stuff the past month & also I have been studying for surveying, which is why I fell behind.  My question is do you think it's worth it to go through the rest of the videos in the next few weeks? 

I am thinking of just reading through the rest of the textbook quickly, so I can start doing practice problems and practice exams.  I feel like doing practice problems/exams is more important to my preparation at this point, so that's why I want to kind of just go through the book.  Sitting through the videos takes a lot of time, and he pretty much reads from the textbook anyways.  However, I know that his videos occasionally mix in examples or little bits of advice that aren't in the textbook.  So I am conflicted.  Any thoughts?
It depends on your background in Seismic Engineering... if you have practice Structural Engineering, then it shouldn't be a problem. If that is not the case, do you know the subject well enough to do practice problems? As your back is against the wall due to time constraints, give it a try. If you have understood the concepts from the first half of the course, you should be able to understand at least some of the remaining concepts. 

Good luck.

It depends on your background in Seismic Engineering... if you have practice Structural Engineering, then it shouldn't be a problem. If that is not the case, do you know the subject well enough to do practice problems? As your back is against the wall due to time constraints, give it a try. If you have understood the concepts from the first half of the course, you should be able to understand at least some of the remaining concepts. 

Good luck.
My background in seismic/structural engineering is not great (lol).  However, I went through the videos and homeworks through chapter 5 and part of chapter 6.  So, my plan is to read/skim through the rest of the book, while doing the homework problems, practice exams, etc along the way.  I will try to watch his videos that review homework problems at least.  We'll see how it goes!

Thanks!

My background in seismic/structural engineering is not great (lol).  However, I went through the videos and homeworks through chapter 5 and part of chapter 6.  So, my plan is to read/skim through the rest of the book, while doing the homework problems, practice exams, etc along the way.  I will try to watch his videos that review homework problems at least.  We'll see how it goes!

Thanks!
That sounds like a reasonable approach to me. I'm not familiar with the EET Seismic course, but am currently in their structural depth class and passed the CA seismic survey in the past. I think practice problems are the best way to go at this point, supplementing with the videos if you really need some clarification on something or have the extra time. You're very pressed for time during the seismic exam, so getting speedy at doing problems is a high priority.

Good luck!

Thanks!
Chapters 5 and 6 are very important. If you know the concepts there, then 7 thru 13/14 should be fairly easy to understand. Make sure you understand the concept of diaphragms well as you will definitely see a bunch of questions on that portion.

Good luck.

I just passed Seismic! (2nd attempt). Dr. Ahmed is absolutely awesome! The comments are true! His passion for wanting you to pass shows. 

I have limited knowledge of structures and even less of seismic. He taught in terms I could understand...which is at a 1st grade level.? Seriously, I believe Dr. Ahmed cracked the code on TEACHING this stuff. It's one thing to teach, it's another to teach in a method students understand.

I was bummed I didn't pass Fall 2016. He encouraged me to not give up hope and said, "I will be with you til you pass...he was. 

I also never took a lick of concrete or anything structural beyond mechanics of materials (heck, I barely knew what rebar even was), and I confidently passed this exam on my first try thanks to Ahmed's seismic class. However, the class still requires alot of dedication, focusedly watching the 1-2 hour long videos, and doing problems (and the CBT tests) over and over, and adding your personal notes on top of his summary sheets. I started studying about 9 months before the test, watched his on-demand videos 30 minutes a day for about 7 months, then ramped up and did practice problems and his CBT tests over and over for the last two months. I'd say I studied for about 200 hours for this individual test.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back