EB.com BIGGEST LOSER

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone. Thank you for your concern, I guess I should have mentioned in my original post that its not life threatening and I'll be completely back to normal, eventually.

Hi everyone. Thank you for your concern, I guess I should have mentioned in my original post that its not life threatening and I'll be completely back to normal, eventually.
Doesn't negate the fact that we still wish you well!

I know I'm not officially in the competition, but I wanted to "play along." As stated earlier, I am working to GAIN weight.

Starting Stats: I'm 5'9" 135 lbs

Goals: 6'2" 220 lbs. Ok seriously: I want to get over 150 lbs. I don't want to gain "worthless" weight, and I also want to keep my metabolism in check.

I started working out 2 weeks ago with some free weights I have at home. I have completely cut out soda (was on a 12 pack per week habit). Needless to say I've been jonesing for soda since and I seem to be endlessly hungry. I hope to find a good diet supplement (creatine, or some protein shake kinda thing) within the next week or so to help. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
On that note, I was noticing last night/this morning that my pecs have NO definition. I don't really like gyms, so I'm hoping for a non-gym workout to get more definition there. DV, any recommendations? Pushups/pullups?

I know I'm not officially in the competition, but I wanted to "play along." As stated earlier, I am working to GAIN weight.

Goals: 6'2" 220 lbs. Ok seriously: I want to get over 150 lbs. I don't want to gain "worthless" weight, and I also want to keep my metabolism in check.

I started working out 2 weeks ago with some free weights I have at home. I have completely cut out soda (was on a 12 pack per week habit). Needless to say I've been jonesing for soda since and I seem to be endlessly hungry. I hope to find a good diet supplement (creatine, or some protein shake kinda thing) within the next week or so to help. Any recommendations?

Champion Nutrition Pure Whey Protein Stack. One of the best ones out there in terms of legit ingredients, few fillers, and low carbs/calories to amount of protein. It's also, by far, the best tasting one out there. I actually like it. You can mix it with water or milk and it's still good. It's tough to find locally as it's not a big GNC type brand, but I think I bought mine from imedmart.

On that note, I was noticing last night/this morning that my pecs have NO definition. I don't really like gyms, so I'm hoping for a non-gym workout to get more definition there. DV, any recommendations? Pushups/pullups?
You can do the pushups to help develop the pecs and make them more pronounced, but usually a lack of definition is due to bodyfat%. If you drop some bf% the definition will come with it.

Cardio and diet will help the most along with chest training (push-ups)

I know it's too late for me to join, but I sure would appreciate some advice on gaining weight - I never seem to get any bigger.

Am I getting too much exercize? I get worked out once per day. Sometimes twice.

I know it's too late for me to join, but I sure would appreciate some advice on gaining weight - I never seem to get any bigger.
Am I getting too much exercize? I get worked out once per day. Sometimes twice.
It's hard to gain weight when you throw up after every workout.

You can do the pushups to help develop the pecs and make them more pronounced, but usually a lack of definition is due to bodyfat%. If you drop some bf% the definition will come with it.

Do you have any particularly effective upper chest exercises? I rarely get any definition/mass up near the collar bone, and it's particularly difficult for me up there because I've got some scar tissue/muscle removed from the cancer surgery.

Do you have any particularly effective upper chest exercises? I rarely get any definition/mass up near the collar bone, and it's particularly difficult for me up there because I've got some scar tissue/muscle removed from the cancer surgery.
I know that DVINNY is more qualified to answer this, but I thought I'd throw my experience out there too.

It seems that there are a couple of schools of thought on pec development. One is that you can't specifically isolate one part of the pec, i.e. upper. Therefore, a simple bench press or push up works your entire pec.

The other thought is that you can somewhat isolate the pec using various movements. I personally believe this one. For the upper pec, incline presses are the best. If you are doing push ups, you could put your feet on a bench or chair to achieve the same result.

For overall pec development, you really can't go wrong with bench press or push ups.

I know that DVINNY is more qualified to answer this, but I thought I'd throw my experience out there too.

It seems that there are a couple of schools of thought on pec development. One is that you can't specifically isolate one part of the pec, i.e. upper. Therefore, a simple bench press or push up works your entire pec.

The other thought is that you can somewhat isolate the pec using various movements. I personally believe this one. For the upper pec, incline presses are the best. If you are doing push ups, you could put your feet on a bench or chair to achieve the same result.

For overall pec development, you really can't go wrong with bench press or push ups.
Both schools of thought are right to an extent.

There is two muscles in the chest, the upper (pectoralis minor), and the mid/lower chest (pectoralis major).

The first school of thought you mentioned is based on people thinking that declines work the lower part of the pec more than flat bench. This is not true, the only difference is the help the shoulder provides to the movement. the second school of thought is true that the upper pec can be worked seperate from the rest.

Cable flys from the lower cables in an upward position help the upper pecs, as well as push-ups with your feet elevated above your body (like on a chair or bench), this tilts the angle towards the upper pecs more.

I personally think incline dumbells are the best for upper chest development. (incline barbell is dangerous to shoulders)

Okay, was just weighed in at Drs office, I am down to 283 from 290, he is happy, I am sad, failed the PE again.

sorry to hear about the PE humner. Been there before, and before, and before.

Come back at it harder........ (that's what she said)

Years ago I went into the military at 129 pounds, 6'. I gained weight eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I also took desicated liver tablets, you can find them in almost any vitamin shop. Went up to 210 pounds in less then a year. I was also working out with heavy weights and less reps.

Funny how I am trying to lose as much weight as you are trying to gain. I am doing lighter weights and more reps now. Only drink I have been imbibing besides water and milk is Lipton tea, usually a flavored variety, I know it has sugar, but I am not going to punish myself totally with my diet.

Okay, was just weighed in at Drs office, I am down to 283 from 290, he is happy, I am sad, failed the PE again.
Sorry about the exam result, humner. I have been there before, and before. Good luck in the spring!

For those of you considering starting pushups, I can testify to the effectiveness of the "Perfect Pushups" for both adding mass and definition. You have to follow the program to the letter, though - do ALL the workouts. My shoulders and chest looked much better after only a few months of that - as compared to years of doing regular pushups. But like DVINNY said, you still won't see much "definition" if everything is covered with fat - which is something I began to improve, but lost ground on recently. I'm only down to ~182, but my pants are fitting better, so I think I am on the way to a weight drop in the next week or two (if I don't slack off).

Back