Dumping Direct and Cable TV

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we got a new cheap one over the weekend and the remote it came with makes it a lot easier (than what I remember from 4 years ago), seems the hardest part is getting logged on but after that its fairly painless, but were mostly using it for Netflix.

We attached an hdmi to the back of the pc to the tv and for cable we switch it over to that and run Comcast through the PC and if we need to web surf you can sit on the sofa with the keyboard and hit the web. 

I have smart tvs but hardly ever use the feature because navigating with the remote and no keyboard/mouse is a PITA.
keyboard and mouse is pretty cheap to add... just sayin'.  Anyway, the main TV in my home has a nice pointer feature that makes it a lot better.

I have smart tvs but hardly ever use the feature because navigating with the remote and no keyboard/mouse is a PITA.
keyboard and mouse is pretty cheap to add... just sayin'.  Anyway, the main TV in my home has a nice pointer feature on the remote that makes it a lot better.

Last edited by a moderator:
does anyone know is there a standard video card I need to better accommodate switching between the PC monitor and the "smart TV"? Its a standard Dell home PC?

right now when the HDMI is plugged in it sets the tv as the main monitor and nothing shows on the PC. I haven't really messed with it much since I just put in in sunday, but wanted to be able to easily go between?

1 hour ago, Road Guy said:
does anyone know is there a standard video card I need to better accommodate switching between the PC monitor and the "smart TV"? Its a standard Dell home PC?

right now when the HDMI is plugged in it sets the tv as the main monitor and nothing shows on the PC. I haven't really messed with it much since I just put in in sunday, but wanted to be able to easily go between?

What if you duplicate displays on your display settings?  Change from "Extend these displays" to "Duplicate these displays" 

35646d1441376133-multiple-displays-change-settings-layout-windows-10-a-dual_advanced.png

What was your original reason for buying one?  I can see it being useful if you don't have a smart TV so you can access Netflix, Hulu, etc.  You can also get watch purchased or rented itunes movies.

:dunno:   http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/09/technology/apple-tv/
I had every intention of cutting the cord when my contract ran out and would use a new Apple TV for Sling and Netflix.  However, Direct called and cut my bill way back.  So now Direct is almost as cheap as getting Sling TV and a Netflix subscription and I don't have to figure out how to watch sports.  The apple tv idea just stuck around even though i dont guess i need it now.

I'm assuming you only have a single HDMI port on your video card? The card I have (older though) has (6) mini-HDMI ports that was designed for multi-monitor configurations. Otherwise if you only have a single port, do you also have an DVI output? If so, then you could get a DVI-HDMI adapter. Then just use this to quickly change your input between monitor and TV.

So I am officially on the clock now. I have been researching the different methods by which I can stream shows. About 3 weeks ago I bought an Amazon Fire Stick, and had a friend hack it for me. Since doing so, I recently saw a promo from Direct TV NOW. 

https://directvnow.com/firestick

Essentially I could get a free Fire Stick if I signed up for one of their plans. So basically, I pay $35, get a fire stick, and then continue to pay $35/mo. So then I can cancel cable and my home phone and only keep the internet. the net savings will be about $100/ mo. Not too bad. 

We just canceled cable and put an antenna in the attic and signed up for sling TV. We're going to safe $100/month. We also have Netflix, hulu, and prime through the Roku.

we are on month 2 with no cable ( you defin miss it less after football season is gone)

Were just doing "bast" internet and Netflix. No one really misses the cable so far, will add HBO "GO" when GOT comes back on.

The hardest part is just getting Comcast to actually let you drop the cable - I think they must beat those poor girls in India that work the phones, but its saving us a little over $100 a month.

We just canceled cable and put an antenna in the attic and signed up for sling TV. We're going to safe $100/month. We also have Netflix, hulu, and prime through the Roku.
Is it worth it to have Hulu and Netflix?

c053a8c7575a49f4722e873541f88224.jpg

They claim that this super hacked fire stick has all PPV, HBO, SHOWTIME, Sports, and every new movie out there?? Is this for real?? Thinking about getting one.

Is it worth it to have Hulu and Netflix?
Not really. Depends if you watch more movies or more TV shows. IMO, Netflix is becoming garbage in terms of their available movie content. Hulu is great for TV shows. And their video quality seems better than Netflix.

That seems similar to SlingTV. I wonder which is better.
Nothing by DTV is ever considered "good".

between amazon and net flix we are set.  netflix has the shows that we were into and our movie usage is really geared towards the kiddos so we haven't had choice problems.  haven't really used netflex for new release sort of movies so we aren't missing the selection

I really like the new format of Netflix- makes it super easy to find stuff and continue a series. (I had not had it in almost 10 years)

I agree The movies are not that good but I am really liking their Netflix tv shows and even some of their Netflix only movies are entertaining. I haven't watched much network tv (series stuff) in a while so I've got years worth of content to catch up on.

If a movie comes out I that I really need to see I'll just pay the buck and get it from redbox.

Back