Do you plan on buying a stamp or seal after you pass the PE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you plan on buying a stamp or seal after you pass the PE?

• I will buy a embosser to seal drawings

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • I will buy a rubber stamp to wet stamp drawings

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I will not buy either a stamp or a seal

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
not that it matters as I will never stamp one single sheet in my current job or career.

But who knows what the future holds.

I want the embosser as the stamp just doesn't do it for me.

As soon as I had notification that I had received my license, I ordered my rubber stamp. I actually got the stamp before I got the wall certificate.

I still don't have an actual physical stamp or a wall certificate yet. I have no pressing need for either. I've been told that I'll have to start stamping plans soon, but until I actually have to do that I see no point in ordering a stamp. And I just didn't feel like spending another $25 on the cheesy wall certificate. I spent enough money during the process I didn't feel like forking over another $25 for that and then spending the money on getting it framed.

Well, you're gonna need the stamp to mail a letter, but the seals are best left at the circus.

I bought a stamp, but may never actually need to use it. Actually, this question never even entered my mind until I knew I had passed the exam.

FYI - some states (like Texas) require that you purchase a stamp and have it approved by the state.

Yeah read the law. It may say something like "shall have a seal" which means...gotta have it.

MI requires you to buy a stamp or seal. Since I didn't plan ever to have to use it, I bought a stamp--couldn't justify the extra expense of an embosser.

Howver, I did in fact use the stamp once--on a co-worker's PE reference.

MI requires you to buy a stamp or seal. Since I didn't plan ever to have to use it, I bought a stamp--couldn't justify the extra expense of an embosser.
Howver, I did in fact use the stamp once--on a co-worker's PE reference.

Yeah, Michigan requires we stamp a standard form and send it back to them, in our first 30 days of licensure. They keep it for their records.

I've had my stamp for 15 months and that form is the only time I have used it.

But my employer paid for it so I have the Cadillac of stamps. I spared no expense.

Yeah, Michigan requires we stamp a standard form and send it back to them, in our first 30 days of licensure. They keep it for their records.
I've had my stamp for 15 months and that form is the only time I have used it.

But my employer paid for it so I have the Cadillac of stamps. I spared no expense.

Well, since it's the Cadillac of stamps, which one is it?

Hey....where's the option to buy both? I bought the rubber stamp to stamp plans, and the embosser to stamp all the books that I own....Probably could have done without that, but I really thought it was cool!!!!

Hey....where's the option to buy both? I bought the rubber stamp to stamp plans, and the embosser to stamp all the books that I own....Probably could have done without that, but I really thought it was cool!!!!
Now that's a cool idea! I think I'll do the same. I assume you embossed the first page on the inside cover?

Well, since it's the Cadillac of stamps, which one is it?

It's a rubber stamp. I don't know if the Michigan Board of PE even allows steel.

But most local PEs eventually have both a regular stamp and a (more expensive) self-inking stamp.

They'll use the regular if they just have to stamp a permit or something. But if they have to stamp every page of a thick set, multiple copies, they will go with the self-inking to save time.

My employer said they'd buy me one stamp, so I had them buy the self-inking. That way if I have to eventually pay for one of the two myself, it will be the cheap one.

Back