Do you charge per hour?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was quoted $2500 for civil engineering, then I clarified I was structural and the price went up to $5000 for the first year. After that it may go up based on your billing. That was for $1M/$2M.

Our billing rates at the office vary between $130 and $175 and I charge my friends/family $100/hr for anything with liability. @Ultrafault has a good point. If people can find high quality engineering work for super low prices it not only undercuts your industry but they may not value your own personal time.
In regards to price increase, you should clarify with the insurance company what is included in each category.  For "structural" they may use this designation for simple beams/headers as well as major structural design for a full house or steel members for a commercial building. 

10 hours ago, SE_FL said: I was quoted $2500 for civil engineering, then I clarified I was structural and the price went up to $5000 for the first year. After that it may go up based on your billing. That was for $1M/$2M. Our billing rates at the office vary between $130 and $175 and I charge my friends/family $100/hr for anything with liability. @Ultrafault has a good point. If people can find high quality engineering work for super low prices it not only undercuts your industry but they may not value your own personal time.
In regards to price increase, you should clarify with the insurance company what is included in each category.  For "structural" they may use this designation for simple beams/headers as well as major structural design for a full house or steel members for a commercial building. 
Same designation for structural for the company they were quoting.

As I'm writing this reply, my wife just volunteered me to go out to someones house and check to see if an interior wall is load bearing. This is our kids classmates that live out on a farm and my wife wants eggs from their free range chickens. I'm guessing if they need permit documents we'll have to work something out. Monthly payments in eggs?

Back