do States have different passing scores?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just read NCEES website, it says "minimal competence in that discipline" so this equates to the NCEES recommended cut score, but they only figure this out in every examination but the exact numerical figure is unknown and thus variable, and only the subject matter committee/exam experts sets it.

well I'll make my own conclusions, how come these people failed a lot of times, I dont believe everytime they write this exam they arent improving, they studied hard as much as they can, but unfortunately couldnt make the cut score NCEES marked up, if it is set lower than 70%, for sure they can pass easily. I also would think NCEES would to lower the cut score, a lot of people will pass that dont deserve to become a PE.

What is your point? This is what I've been posting forever, in fact I posted the link to NCEES. I cannot understand what you are saying.

Are you saying that the score is different for each exam administration based on difficulty but that it never goes below 70%? THat would seem to be what these two posts would indicate. In that case, the fact that the score changes with each exam based on difficulty is not an opinion, that's a fact based on the NCEES info. As I've said all along.

Your post that it is never below 70% -that's a guess and it could be true. THat's your guess. My guess is that it is generally around 70% but may go a little lower. But those are both guesses. I bet more people who are worried about passing like my guess than your guess. But that doesn't make either one more true or false.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you saying that the score is different for each exam administration based on difficulty but that it never goes below 70%? THat would seem to be what these two posts would indicate. In that case, the fact that the score changes with each exam based on difficulty is not an opinion, that's a fact based on the NCEES info. As I've said all along.
Please provide some facts that back up what you seem to be saying you've said all along: the score is different for each exam administration based on difficulty. I believe you are wrong if this is what you've said all along.

Please provide some facts that back up what you seem to be saying you've said all along: the score is different for each exam administration based on difficulty. I believe you are wrong if this is what you've said all along.
NCEES Scoring Page

Read the part about "Equating".

Essentially, this means that while the numerical passing score may change with each administration, you are not disadvantaged when one administration of a particular exam is more difficult than another.
The arbitrary "passing score" of 70 might remain the same, but the algorithm to reach that number may change from exam to exam.

Good lord. Are you just being ornery? You've been around long enough to know what I'm saying.

Sorry I didn't phrase this with the necessary sphincter constriction. The raw passing score MAY vary based on difficulty, or whatever wording you feel is precise. THey may change it based on what they believe is minimal competence. It's like hitting a moving target here to reach language approval.

The "70" scaled score, which they don't even give out in many places, stays the same, but is basically meaningless.

Refer to the link provded by Wil. That's what I've been referring people to all along. I agree with his explanation.

It's like hitting a moving target here to reach language approval.
Personally, I'd like to see a sticky and then a ban on the endless discussions. But as long as they stay active, I'll keep stirring the pot. Words have meaning, you know!

Somehow these threads end up being less productive than the 10k threads...
SAd but true. But this is my hobby.

Personally, I'd like to see a sticky and then a ban on the endless discussions.
I'd go for that, although I doubt it would make any difference, even if we stickied 18 threads on the subject.

Hell, if I have to read and moderate all of these threads, then they stay open... job security!!!

sorry I sparked such a controversy, but thanks for the info!

one more question for you all: How many people took the exam when you took it in your State? Just curious.

I wonder if NJ alters their "cut score" because of the large number of people who take the exam. After all, it is the most densely populated State. In New Jersey, there are 150-200 people each April/October.

Good idea. Make things up. THey explain this process on the NCEES web site.
http://www.ncees.org/Exams/Pages/Scoring.php

But suit yourself.
What's the over/under on number of times you will have this argument during this waiting period? My guess is 10.
At least. As many times as somebody posts a fairly tale and I see it. And I don't consider it an argument when I post facts off the NCEES website and somebody else channels a Ouija Board.
Maybe you just discovered NCEES's secret formula for determining the cut score.

one more question for you all: How many people took the exam when you took it in your State? Just curious.

I wonder if NJ alters their "cut score" because of the large number of people who take the exam. After all, it is the most densely populated State. In New Jersey, there are 150-200 people each April/October.

10 people including myself in my state, most of them middle age and above. Most states follow NCEES recommended cut score.

At least 250 people in Chicago. No idea about the other locations in IL.

At least 250 people in Chicago. No idea about the other locations in IL.
27 in Carbondale, IL with about 4 not showing up. One guy showed up at 7:30 and wasn't allowed to test.

Texas has their results for the last 9 years posted on the Texas Board web site. Looks like about 56% (+/-) pass.

There were probably around 350 in Fort Worth where I took it, I'd bet around 1200 in Texas. With a 56% pass rate, I doubt there's any "mercy" scoring from the NCEES cut score.

Texas has their results for the last 9 years posted on the Texas Board web site. Looks like about 56% (+/-) pass.
You really shouldn't let the low passing rates bother you. First of all, the pass rates for first time takers are higher.

Secondly, I know several people who just don't study for the test and keep taking it multiple times. They always plan to study, but things come up.

Then I know people who do "study" but that means they scan through the books, sometimes highlighting and underlining things. THey don't go through the painful process of actually working out problems. They may luck out and pass, but this doesn't work out too well for most.

If you study systematically and rigorously you should be able to pass, at least after a few tries.

Back