Did anyone pass who really thought they Failed?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew I would post here if I passed. I was completely 50-50 on whether I passed or not. And I generally ace tests. So this was an unusual feeling and it gave me some real dread. So, I fit in that category. I thought I had solved my 70% of the problems and probably guessed at the rest. But I have literally added 1+0 wrong on a test before. So you assume you made stupid mistakes. Ok, that's all my rambling. I thought I had failed (I didn't tell people the results were going up in case I failed and then I would have a couple of days to fortify myself) and I passed.
Have hope!!
I am truly glad for you. Did you get your results Via snail mail

I got my results by looking on the Georgia Board website yesterday. I haven't received my snail mail yet. But I heard someone in Alabama went home at lunch and got their results...

I took the PE three times:

1st: studied maybe 30 hours aside from searching for references, literally didn't crack a book for the last month - just gave up! Didn't even have more than half the required references. Walked in thinking there's 0% chance of passing--I'll just see what's it like, and walked out thinking, "Dang - maybe there's a chance, wish I studied more." (I missed passing by one question 54/80)

2nd: studied maybe 40 hours more and got all references but one. Slept poorly, never hit my zone during the exam for even 10 minutes, but still felt passing was theoretically possible if I got super lucky guessing, but not the most likely option. I didn't know my references at all and I probably used some of my exam time poorly trying to compensate for that. (I missed passing with a 48/80 score)

3rd: studied 110 hours more, got a hotel room for 3 nights--instead of driving 2 hours prior to the exam, slept great, and felt pretty good walking out of the exam (but not like failing was impossible). I'm currently going crazy waiting on results in NY.

I took the PE three times:
1st: studied maybe 30 hours aside from searching for references, literally didn't crack a book for the last month - just gave up! Didn't even have more than half the required references. Walked in thinking there's 0% chance of passing--I'll just see what's it like, and walked out thinking, "Dang - maybe there's a chance, wish I studied more." (I missed passing by one question 54/80)

2nd: studied maybe 40 hours more and got all references but one. Slept poorly, never hit my zone during the exam for even 10 minutes, but still felt passing was theoretically possible if I got super lucky guessing, but not the most likely option. I didn't know my references at all and I probably used some of my exam time poorly trying to compensate for that. (I missed passing with a 48/80 score)

3rd: studied 110 hours more, got a hotel room for 3 nights--instead of driving 2 hours prior to the exam, slept great, and felt pretty good walking out of the exam (but not like failing was impossible). I'm currently going crazy waiting on results in NY.
I wish you yhe best.

1st time ...still waiting in CT

I truly believed that I failed the Chemical PE. I answered about half of the morning questions with certainty and about 75% of the afternoon questions. Miraculously, I got a letter in the mail today saying that I passed.

I felt really good when I left, ... and the longer I wait the more pessimistic I become...
That's how I felt. I was sure I nailed it when I left. After about 6 weeks I was starting to gather up my references to start studying again because I was sure I failed.

Don't remember exactly how many I "guessed" at, but I do remember putting some form of calculations down for every question except 1. I remember that one very vividly and know I used "random game theory" to pick which answer I would put down (if the second hand on my watch is between the 12 and 3 I'll put A, between 3 and 6 = B, etc). I have no idea if I got that one right or not...

I am a bit like some of the others. I left feeling fairly good about the exam. After a week or so, I thought I passed but it could have gone either way. After a month, I was holding on to a slim chance that I might have passed. At the 2 month mark, I had convinced myself that I had failed. The mind does some crazy stuff to you when you are waiting for so long.

(I did pass by the way)

Take care.

Just found out I passed today! When I left the exam, I thought for sure that I'd failed. There were just too many problems I wasn't confident on, and I was strapped for time in the morning and afternoon.

I was in bad shape because I had put in a great deal of studying, and did a review course. I have pretty much been miserable for the past 11 weeks.

Anyways, I just realized that this thread is probably useless since almost everyone has already gotten results, but I've been waiting to post here since it was created to give others hope.

I didn't feel very good when I left the exam, I told myself and others it was 50/50 if I passed or failed, but I felt it was more like 80/20 I failed and that feeling stayed with me until yesterday when I opened the letter, totally expecting to fail at this point and was shocked when it said "Congratulation for passing the April 2009 Principals and Practices Engineering exam."

So, put me in the category of expecting a to fail but passed!

I didn't feel very good when I left the exam, I told myself and others it was 50/50 if I passed or failed, but I felt it was more like 80/20 I failed and that feeling stayed with me until yesterday when I opened the letter, totally expecting to fail at this point and was shocked when it said "Congratulation for passing the April 2009 Principals and Practices Engineering exam."
So, put me in the category of expecting a to fail but passed!

I could not agree more. I felt great coming out after the FE, but that was back in the days when you could turn tricks with a TI-89 on it. I definitely had to use the lucky letter on more than one ocassion for the PE; I was floored when I got my score. For some reason Virignia gives out scores and I scored a lot higher than I thought.

Feel Passed -> Passed (Happy-Happy)

Feel Passed -> Failed (Happy-Sad)

Feel Failed -> Passed (Sad-Happy)

Feel Failed -> Failed (Sad-Sad)

By the chance you should feel passed that at least you are happy in the long wait.

Feel Passed -> Passed (Happy-Happy)Feel Passed -> Failed (Happy-Sad)

Feel Failed -> Passed (Sad-Happy)

Feel Failed -> Failed (Sad-Sad)

By the chance you should feel passed that at least you are happy in the long wait.
Hilarious chaocl & true...

I definitely fell into the group thinking I had a 50/50 chance to pass and then found out the good news that I did pass. Oddly enough as I was taking the test I felt like every question I was working on could be the make or break question! LOL A bit too much pressure to apply on yourself with a long test, but thank the Good Lord above I passed. I did feel it was deserved as I studied an average of 6 hrs/day the last month before the exam.

Keep your head up if you didn't pass because it gets easier each time. Just don't wait too long to start studying again!

Latest posts

Back