Did anyone else take the AE PE? How was it?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butch81385

Reaction score
I'm seeing threads pop up on other disciplines. Just wondering if anyone else was lugging a ton of books and taking the Architectural Engineering PE?

I thought the morning was easier than I had expected. The afternoon was as hard as I expected. I had one question that I had to guess on (didn't have the right resource... checked it out when I got to work yesterday, and I had put the wrong answer), and a couple that I had to learn on the spot or look up from scratch. Also had one question where the answer I believe to be correct (based on charts in my resources) wasn't an option... Aside from that, though, I felt pretty confident in my work and came up with answers that were options.

Now it's time to wait...

What exactly is an Architectural PE?

It covers all building systems. The exam has questions on Structures, Electrical Systems, Lighting, HVAC, Plumbing, Fire Protection, Acoustics, Building System Interactions (such as lighting loads affecting hvac sizing), as well as general code questions.

In theory, a proficient Architecturl PE (or as most of us in that field would prefer, an Architectural Engineering PE, as too many people already think that we are architects *shudder*) would be able to do any/all consulting work on any building. In my 5 years in the field, I've done structural designs on buildings up to 6 stories tall, HVAC system selection, duct and diffuser selcection and layout, etc., plumbing sizing and layout, lighting layouts, electrical system designs (from pad mounted transformers inward), etc.

Of course, if I was to leave my current company and work somewhere else, there is a good chance I would be pigeonholed in only one discipline, but I have studied for, and practiced (under a PE) in all of the above disciplines.

Back