Desk souvenirs

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a coffee mug commemorating a successful AMRAAM test on May 4, 1990 from Hughes missile systems. It has a graphic of two F-15s shooting down four F-106s.

Other than the ordinary things people have on their desks I have:

- a police scanner

- a small American flag

- a Lenton coupler for a threaded #9 bar

- the Magic 8 Ball (I swear, it is never wrong)

- couple of pictures from golf outings

- small framed artwork by one of our former employees

- a potted plant (started as a clipping from the original plant that was in the founder's office in 1965)

- a couple pictures of my kids

- some general Rutgers stuff (mug, patch from when I was on the fire department there)

while running on one of the national park civil war battlefieds this summer, my dog stopped to play at a creek, i looked down and there was a 50 caliber mini ball (civil war bullett). yes I think its illegal to take it, but.....anyways.... its the only "unique" item I have at my desk.

the only unfortunate thing is that it looks like it wasnt fired and probably fell out of some soldiers ammo pouch and didnt have the opportunity to kill one of the invading yankees during the war against northern agression ;)

This thread got me looking around my desk and I realized I have a lot shit laying around:

Two samples of SCR catalyst

Sample of CO catalyst

A lump of coal

A foot long section of a boiler finned tube

A two foot section of a baffled ammonia injection lance

amongst all the useful crap (valves, PLCs, RTDs, gauges, various PPE, catalogues, etc) I have an old (crashed) turbo expander, the piece of sheet metal from our clothes dryer that my dog ate, and a pulley that I designed as a noob engineer... the really special thing about this pulley is that its geometry makes it impossible to install in its intended application... I keep it around to remind myself not to make stupid mistakes, and it looks cool!

I forgot, I've also got an oxygen analyzer, a welding hood, and some 9015-B9 stick electrode. Next to my desk I have some fancy experimental rebar for a nuclear project, and a buttload of confiscated/sample/CMTR-missing welding rod and wire.

Other than the ordinary things people have on their desks I have:
- a police scanner

- a small American flag

- a Lenton coupler for a threaded #9 bar

- the Magic 8 Ball (I swear, it is never wrong)

- couple of pictures from golf outings

- small framed artwork by one of our former employees

- a potted plant (started as a clipping from the original plant that was in the founder's office in 1965)

- a couple pictures of my kids

- some general Rutgers stuff (mug, patch from when I was on the fire department there)
What about a humidor?

I have a chunk of ruby silver, it's an ore with lead, silver and red stuff. it is surprisingly heavy. I found it by and old own site that had been buried by a rockslide from the mines above. I also found what looked like a human vertebrae, but I left that there.

I've also got a rock that my daughter decorated to look like a mouse when she was in pre-school, and a carpenter's pencil that says UWYO School of Engineering from my son.

A devil themed rubber duck, a Jittery Joes mug, a few family pictures, a prototype connection for the space station and a set of really nice carbon fiber handlebars that my wife cracked in half in a cycling accident.

I have a Christmas tree on my desk - about 2' high, with some ornaments on it, but no lights. I also have a miniature Nativity near the tree.

Now that I'm back at my desk, I can tell you that I forgot about my brass drive-in plug, Pop-A-Plugs, segment of copper tube from a condenser, and a failed expansion joint section. Mostly junk, but I don't throw it out.

I have a 1" diameter grade 5 bolt.

I also have a Chewbacca & an Ewok action figure.

^ That's a large bolt!

I also have 3 command coins - recognition for work by military commanding officer.

And a spin top that was made as a marketing gadget for metal injection molded assemblies - it spins for over a minute if you get it started good.

Back