Desk souvenirs

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's not the size of the bolt, it's the profile of the head and the length of threads that matter.

Two halves of a chert nodule.

Family photos.

Plastic Tinkerbell figurine.

Hardened-steel cone-penetrometer tip.

Beaker finger puppet.

A yo-yo.

Some on my credenza, not my actual desk.

^

You're in some high cotton with a credenza *and* a desk!

I've got no idea what a chert nodule is... I'll google it just as soon as I figure out who Beaker is.

About the coolest thing I have is a section of a energy wheel a vendor left during a visit. I have some Dilbert Cartoons on the cork board and an email from an architect I printed out that basically says "who is badal" after I have been working with his firm a on a large project for several months. Kinda keeps my ego in check.

I have part of a broken car jack... broke that trying to change the govt truck tire, was stranded in the woods for a while... I have a plactic fork missing a tine... which I ingested... A mini traffic cone to remind me of happier times... a sign that says... "remember everything Fred Astair did, Ginger Rodgers did backwards and in high heels." and one that says "DANGER: DO NOT ENTER, FIREING AREA." kinda boring I guess... but I knew I wouldn't be here forever...

I'll google it just as soon as I figure out who Beaker is.
StarbucksFingerPuppets.jpg

Which one is he?

I have a piece of sand-encrusted glass on my desk. Bits of copper mixed in with it. This came from a 46 kV line that fell on the ground and the circuit breaker failed. It stayed energized for about 45 minutes, pumping about 500 A into the ground. . .sandy soil created glass.

Thread from the dead!

I don't have any souvenirs on my desk now. After 8 months in the new job, I suppose it's high time I personalize this place a little.

Why, I have THIS of course:

Wolvie_EB.jpg

Also:

- a sample of 25kV XLPE underground cable

- a segment of aluminum conductor melted at both ends (from Hurricane Katrina, to remind me to always check the line, end-to-end, twice)

- a pair of miniature bicycles with working cranks and brakes

- a snapped Campagnolo rear derailleur

- a GT 1990 National Championship Coke bottle

- a second place age group trophy from the 1998 Astroflash Tye-Dye 5K race

- a lump of coal

I have a piece of sand-encrusted glass on my desk. Bits of copper mixed in with it. This came from a 46 kV line that fell on the ground and the circuit breaker failed. It stayed energized for about 45 minutes, pumping about 500 A into the ground. . .sandy soil created glass.
What the heck happened with the protection relay?

^The relays worked fine (which is good, since I set them), but the breaker failed to trip. I think they ended up finding there was too much SF6 arc-byproduct (white powder) in the breaker that jammed up the mechanism.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back