Denial of Certification

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neRRd04

Reaction score
My college requires that all Mechanical Engineering students must attempt the EIT exam (FE) before graduation. I know that to get certified you must not have commited any acts of crimes which would be grounds for denial of certification.

My question is, just to register and sit for the exam do they consider your background history? Also, my felony conviction happend over 16 years ago (I'm 33 now and went back to college a few years back), do they go that far back and does a felony pretty much gaurantee a certification denial. Does anyone here have a felony but is also a certified P.E.?

Any help would truly be appreciated.

My college requires that all Mechanical Engineering students must attempt the EIT exam (FE) before graduation. I know that to get certified you must not have commited any acts of crimes which would be grounds for denial of certification.
My question is, just to register and sit for the exam do they consider your background history? Also, my felony conviction happend over 16 years ago (I'm 33 now and went back to college a few years back), do they go that far back and does a felony pretty much gaurantee a certification denial. Does anyone here have a felony but is also a certified P.E.?

Just like some university and employers would not accept someone convicted of a felony some state boards would not certify someone convicted of a felony. However I think those cases are treated on a case by case scenario. For example NJ requires a written description of the felony charges, plus your explanation of what happened. You should call board of engineer in the state you are planning to apply.

Just like some university and employers would not accept someone convicted of a felony some state boards would not certify someone convicted of a felony. However I think those cases are treated on a case by case scenario. For example NJ requires a written description of the felony charges, plus your explanation of what happened. You should call board of engineer in the state you are planning to apply.
Sounds like you were under 18. Depending on the state laws, they might even have been expunged/sealed.

Congrats for (presumably) turning your life around.

Assuming that your rap sheet is clean since then...

If you were under 18, then it may be sealed. Either way, I suggest that you also now talk to a criminal defense attorney. You can petition the court to expunge the conviction, or ask the governor to pardon you. I know of professionals in several fields who had crimes expunged so that they don't ever have to explain the conviction, regardless of how long ago it was.

I'd bet that if you can get this conviction expunged/pardoned, it is well worth the investment of time and money.

Back