December 2018 Test Results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I passed seismic but no sign of an email regarding surveying? Especially weird since I took surveying a week before seismic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I passed seismic but no sign of an email regarding surveying? Especially weird since I took surveying a week before seismic.
They send out two separate e-mails. Usually within the same hour of each other so sit tight. 

Got my results and was only "proficient" in the first category, "marginal" in one, and "deficient" in the rest. I have to say I'm pretty disappointed, as I felt like I had done well this time around. I felt confident in 35-40 of the questions, and due to time basically had to guess on about 10 of the questions. 

@CAPLS is there ANYTHING you're able to tell us about passing percentages, or what constitutes Proficient/Marginal/Deficient for each category? I left the test knowing there was one category I would need to study up on if there was a next time, but seeing that I did THAT badly is a bit of a blow and I'm not sure where I'm even going to start.

Got my results and was only "proficient" in the first category, "marginal" in one, and "deficient" in the rest. I have to say I'm pretty disappointed, as I felt like I had done well this time around. I felt confident in 35-40 of the questions, and due to time basically had to guess on about 10 of the questions. 

@CAPLS is there ANYTHING you're able to tell us about passing percentages, or what constitutes Proficient/Marginal/Deficient for each category? I left the test knowing there was one category I would need to study up on if there was a next time, but seeing that I did THAT badly is a bit of a blow and I'm not sure where I'm even going to start.
This is just one aspect, but I spent a good amount of time drilling for speed. It's such a time-constrained test. I knew which kind of problems would take more than 3 minutes and skipped them as I went, trying to answer as many as possible, then returning to slower problems at the end.

Well that was a stressful hour, but surveying is out too. Passed both! Thank you CPESR and Hiner!

Just got the surveying results and pass. I failed seismic last month. For these two exam, I think practicing is the key!!! 
Congrats man, roughly how many questions you think you got right? anywhere between 30-35 ? 

Congrats man, roughly how many questions you think you got right? anywhere between 30-35 ? 
Because I failed seismic last month, so I did a lot of practice problems for the surveying. I guessed on 2 problems, the rest I feel confident unless I made some careless error.  

Because I failed seismic last month, so I did a lot of practice problems for the surveying. I guessed on 2 problems, the rest I feel confident unless I made some careless error.  
Good for you! I took seismic 2 weeks ago, I think I would score around 32-35 I am trying to gauge if this enough to pass! , so when you took seismic and failed what would you guess you scored? I am taking surveying next month, would you say the test was hard, tricky? and would you recommend https://www.civilpesurveyingreview.com/ ? If their practice exam mimics the actual exam

Good for you! I took seismic 2 weeks ago, I think I would score around 32-35 I am trying to gauge if this enough to pass! , so when you took seismic and failed what would you guess you scored? I am taking surveying next month, would you say the test was hard, tricky? and would you recommend https://www.civilpesurveyingreview.com/ ? If their practice exam mimics the actual exam
CPESR's practice tests on line are GREAT. IMO they are MUCH harder than the actual exam. There are 4 practice tests: 1 easy, 2 medium, 1 hard. I'd say the test is somewhere between easy and medium. If you work the Hard problems the test will feel like a breeze.

That said, their workbook is hot garbage. It's completely disorganized and even after months of studying I can never remember where anything is (had no problem finding specific pages from memory in Hiner's massive Seismic workbook). I'd like... make my own reference sheets rather than use their workbook. 

Would still recommend overall for the practice tests.

CPESR's practice tests on line are GREAT. IMO they are MUCH harder than the actual exam. There are 4 practice tests: 1 easy, 2 medium, 1 hard. I'd say the test is somewhere between easy and medium. If you work the Hard problems the test will feel like a breeze.

That said, their workbook is hot garbage. It's completely disorganized and even after months of studying I can never remember where anything is (had no problem finding specific pages from memory in Hiner's massive Seismic workbook). I'd like... make my own reference sheets rather than use their workbook. 

I agree with Wensey. The CPESR's course and handouts are not useful. I bought it for the practice exams. The practice exams are useful. 

Seismic I am not so sure. I guessed on ~15 problems, had a few not confident, and ran out of time to check error for the ones I completed.   

I agree with Wensey. The CPESR's course and handouts are not useful. I bought it for the practice exams. The practice exams are useful. 

Seismic I am not so sure. I guessed on ~15 problems, had a few not confident, and ran out of time to check error for the ones I completed.   

Thank you guys for your help. I know the key for these two tests are to practice A LOT OF PROBLEMS OVER AND OVER. I Bought EET review test and I have heard that their practice exam mimics the actual exam. If any know need help with seismic let me know I really recommend EET practice exam + This Practice exam  

The diagnostic is related to the published test plan specifications.

Test Plans:  https://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/refs.shtml

Document explaining proficient/marginal/deficient:  https://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/diagnostic_reports.pdf

I've said this before...release of exam results is entirely separate from the licensing process.  If you are waiting for exam results, the email will be your communication.  If you subsequently are waiting to be notified about licensure, feel free to watch for the email or the online license search.
So we've all received our Dec 2018 CA test results.  I have passed both tests, but I can't find any official statements on what the final process is.  Anyone know how long it will take to receive the license?  CA just sent notice of passing tests, and as CAPLS indicates, we'll receive the license in the future...without having to pay more, or do anything proactive?  I have a pending promotion contingent upon receiving the CA license.

Also, the PPI Survey Reference manual was terrible, as well as the recorded webinar.  I have 4 solid pages of hand-written errata I discovered while reading through.  Some errata were very important, such as the wrong conversion factors or incorrect formulas (and it didn't even contain photogrammetry).  The layout was not very reference friendly either.  The lectures barely skimmed all topics and I didn't feel it went deep, or complex enough.  However, the practice problems and practice tests were OK (the reference manual didn't even cover some of the topics of some questions in the practice exams).  I also used a Mansour Survey book, and even though it is dated, I couldn't recommend it more.  It is a very good reference, though I think it would be hard to learn with just the book, so I'd recommend taking the class with it.  The equations were well laid out for quick reference.  The practice tests were very dated, and I think the PPI Practice Exams seemed closer to the exam.  I ended up creating my own reference binder of notes and copied reference pages from both PPI, Mansour, the internet (surveyor instruction courses/notes I found), and the NCEES Prof. Survey Exam Reference Manual (free online).  That helped my speed, but also its creation helped me get more familiar with topics.  I ended up only using my 60 page binder for the Survey test.

Hiner for the win on Seismic.  I may have purchased more practice tests if I had to do it again.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
So we've all received our Dec 2018 CA test results.  I have passed both tests, but I can't find any official statements on what the final process is.  Anyone know how long it will take to receive the license?  CA just sent notice of passing tests, and as CAPLS indicates, we'll receive the license in the future...without having to pay more, or do anything proactive?  I have a pending promotion contingent upon receiving the CA license.

Also, the PPI Survey Reference manual was terrible, as well as the recorded webinar.  I have 4 solid pages of hand-written errata I discovered while reading through.  Some errata were very important, such as the wrong conversion factors or incorrect formulas (and it didn't even contain photogrammetry).  The layout was not very reference friendly either.  The lectures barely skimmed all topics and I didn't feel it went deep, or complex enough.  However, the practice problems and practice tests were OK (the reference manual didn't even cover some of the topics of some questions in the practice exams).  I also used a Mansour Survey book, and even though it is dated, I couldn't recommend it more.  It is a very good reference, though I think it would be hard to learn with just the book, so I'd recommend taking the class with it.  The equations were well laid out for quick reference.  The practice tests were very dated, and I think the PPI Practice Exams seemed closer to the exam.  I ended up creating my own reference binder of notes and copied reference pages from both PPI, Mansour, the internet (surveyor instruction courses/notes I found), and the NCEES Prof. Survey Exam Reference Manual (free online).  That helped my speed, but also its creation helped me get more familiar with topics.  I ended up only using my 60 page binder for the Survey test.

Hiner for the win on Seismic.  I may have purchased more practice tests if I had to do it again.

Thanks
There isn't really a set timeline, but within the next week or two (licensing cycles are independent of the exams) you'll get an e-mail from the board that congratulates you on becoming a licensed engineer and will provide you with a license number. I got my notice that I passed on September 10th and got the email with my license number on September 18th. The actual license will come in sometime after that, but that should be enough for your promotion. You don't have to do anything now but wait for the e-mail and then the license to come in. However, your license will only be active until the end of the quarter in which you receive it, so you'll have to renew your license before the end of March. It's around $116 if I remember correctly. 

What do we think, will the license numbers be released today? Today is the first Friday of the month. The last license (#90014) was issued Jan 18 - the third Friday of the month. Others have said the CA board typically releases licenses on the first and third Friday of the month. 

So, anyone else still waiting for their license verification? Got notice that I passed my last exam on January 14 and still not a peep from BPELSG about the license. Checked the database already, too. All my coworkers who have passed previously were notified of licensure witchin about a week of getting their exam results. 😕 Is this typical?

Back