Day in the life of a geotechnical engineer?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CivilEngr

Reaction score
This probably belongs in the general engineering section but I figured more geo guys would look here.

I know what geothecnical engineering is and the basic concepts but what exactly does a geotechnical engineer do? Whats your average day like? Time spent in field vs. office?

I have taken two geology classes which I liked and introduction to geotechnical engineering which I also liked. Because I liked these I am leaning towards doing my emphasis in geothechnical engineering.

Is it hard to get a job in this field?

Ive also heard its good to get a masters in civil especially in structural and geotechnical. Is this true?

This probably belongs in the general engineering section but I figured more geo guys would look here.
I know what geothecnical engineering is and the basic concepts but what exactly does a geotechnical engineer do? Whats your average day like? Time spent in field vs. office?

I have taken two geology classes which I liked and introduction to geotechnical engineering which I also liked. Because I liked these I am leaning towards doing my emphasis in geothechnical engineering.

Is it hard to get a job in this field?

Ive also heard its good to get a masters in civil especially in structural and geotechnical. Is this true?
This was my response to a similar question a while back:

A word of warning about geotech, you will write the same report over and over and over again.

"Dear Client,

We have drilled X borings. We found X soil. The site concerns are X. The recommended bearing pressure is X (Lab test/FS). Recommend using us for testing, then page after page of disclaimers from ASFE. "

or

You will be testing materials like a grunt (not that there's anything wrong with that).

It takes a special personality to do it. Please spend some time with a good firm as an intern to see if it's a good fit. Recommend you have a alternate emphasis area before you graduate. Good luck.

Personally I loved my upper level geotech classes, it was very interesting. Then I joined a large geo firm, and I absolutely hated the work. Knowing what I know now, I would spend more time getting structural courses.

Your day/week might be 10% field 30% lab testing 60% report writing.

Thanks for the info. I posted awhile back about coastal engineering which is the kind of stuff I would really like to work on. I am interested in dredging, flood control, beach renourishment, and other things along those lines. I was thinking geotech would go along with allot of these areas since they involve allot of use of earth and if I could not get into this field I could work in geotech.

How important is doing an emphasis? I do not have to at my school. Is broad better and then specialize in grad school if I wanted to?

Thanks for the info. I posted awhile back about coastal engineering which is the kind of stuff I would really like to work on. I am interested in dredging, flood control, beach renourishment, and other things along those lines. I was thinking geotech would go along with allot of these areas since they involve allot of use of earth and if I could not get into this field I could work in geotech.

How important is doing an emphasis? I do not have to at my school. Is broad better and then specialize in grad school if I wanted to?
You are probably anxious be done and the emphasis (on paper) isn't super important , but I would certainly take more upper level courses while you have the opportunity.

Your interests indicate a Corps of Engineers type position. You might ask Jeb in the Shoot the Breeze forum what he would recommend for upper level work.

Interesting - my masters degree is in Civil Engineering with emphasis in geotechnical engineering. My graduate project focused on coastal wave mechanics - specifically employing LiDAR data enhance nearshore wave runup modeling to validate coastal surge (flooding) from Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM). I used the LiDAR data to develop 1D cross sections that were then imported into the FEMA CHAMP model.

I thought I would eventually branch into coastal engineering since I lived in Florida. Unfortunately, the challenge is that your prospective clients are going to largely be municipalities or federal entities; a line of work that I would say is "at risk" for future growth.

While I was in graduate school I took A LOT of classes in soil mechanics - a very smart move in retrospect. I currently work for a private utility in the land & water department focusing on land disposal of coal ash wastes. My projects are primarily focused at reviewing existing engineering plans and developing strategy and engineering for vertical expansions (structural fills) over historically sluiced and consolidated fly ash sludges. The primary mechanism of interest is static liquefaction due to the massive release from the TVA Kingston Plant in December 2008.

I really enjoy my job though it is loaded with challenges. I spend LOTS of time writing reports and explaining results of testing and then re-explaining them every time the subject of geotechnical testing and factor of safety is brought up.

I agree with the recommendation of fitting in some structural courses since application of the structural mechanics will likely offer the broader aspect of employment - anywhere from earthen dam design to structural inspections for dams and other retaining structures. In retrospect, I would have been served better had I also had more structural classes.

Good luck in your future endeavors!

JR

I thought I would eventually branch into coastal engineering since I lived in Florida. Unfortunately, the challenge is that your prospective clients are going to largely be municipalities or federal entities; a line of work that I would say is "at risk" for future growth.
You hit the nail on the head. I'm a coastal engineer and coastal work has "hit a wall" so to speak.

It is also a very small and tight knit community of engineers. Everybody knows everybody. In Florida anyways.

Back