Cut Score...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the pink to the post where the guy claims he got a 56/80 and failed.
http://engineerboards.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=6600075

If I had to guess I would say he made a math error or it's simply not true. It was posted by a guest....I'm just not buying it.
He may have made a math error but he was a fairly regular poster and a reasonable guy. So I doubt he made it up. I also believe that at one point the moderators changed a bunch of people to guest status after they stopped posting for a while.

Of course, it could just be an alias for someone else as far as I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
he was a legit poster, I think he may have gotten deleted by accident (cough,cough, VT, cough, cough)

I just can't see what difference it makes.

First, I don't understand how everyone can be so sure about exactly how many answers they got correct. I could approximate maybe within 3 or 4, but knowing you got exaclty 56 correct?

And if you know you got 56 correct, I don't think you have to worry much about passing, even if this one in a million poster is true.

Plus, won't most people know in three or four weeks?

I just can't see what difference it makes.
First, I don't understand how everyone can be so sure about exactly how many answers they got correct. I could approximate maybe within 3 or 4, but knowing you got exaclty 56 correct?

And if you know you got 56 correct, I don't think you have to worry much about passing, even if this one in a million poster is true.

Plus, won't most people know in three or four weeks?
Most people can get their score by using the diagnostics and they are not of by 3 or 4.

You are right, even if that was true, a 56 should be good to go.

Yeah we'll know in a few weeks but this subject will come up after each exam. Some people hate this subject now since it has come up so much...that's why I put the warning on the 1st post of this thread.

Most people can get their score by using the diagnostics and they are not of by 3 or 4.
You are right, even if that was true, a 56 should be good to go.

Yeah we'll know in a few weeks but this subject will come up after each exam. Some people hate this subject now since it has come up so much...that's why I put the warning on the 1st post of this thread.
I'm not talking about knowing your score after you get your diagnostics. I'm talking about knowing how many you got right within one or two questions after you walk out of the exam room. For someone to worry about the cut score they would have to know almost exactly what they scored immediately after walking out of the exam. I don't believe most, or even anybody, can be that sure about their score until they get their results.

Are you saying, that if I told you now that the cut score was 54, and you thought you had 55 correct when you walked out of the exam, you would be completely relaxed and confident in passing because you are completely certain how may you got correct? I think you are a rare person.

I walked out of my third try at the exam, knowing I got them all right. And I got a passing letter in December, so I was right!

/sarcasm

I'm not talking about knowing your score after you get your diagnostics. I'm talking about knowing how many you got right within one or two questions after you walk out of the exam room. For someone to worry about the cut score they would have to know almost exactly what they scored immediately after walking out of the exam. I don't believe most, or even anybody, can be that sure about their score until they get their results.
Are you saying, that if I told you now that the cut score was 54, and you thought you had 55 correct when you walked out of the exam, you would be completely relaxed and confident in passing because you are completely certain how may you got correct? I think you are a rare person.
I agree...some people will guess at how they did but most will not guess their score exactly right when they walk out.

No I wouldn't be relaxed because I don't know my score.

I think the intent of this thread was to discuss the range of previous cut scores among other things, ie. how the cut score is determined. I know all of this has been discussed before but it's still a big mystery and kinda fun to talk about and one of the only things to discuss as we wait.

I agree...some people will guess at how they did but most will not guess their score exactly right when they walk out.
No I wouldn't be relaxed because I don't know my score.

I think the intent of this thread was to discuss the range of previous cut scores among other things, ie. how the cut score is determined. I know all of this has been discussed before but it's still a big mystery and kinda fun to talk about and one of the only things to discuss as we wait.
I understand that. I also wondered about the test score after I took the exam, although I don't know what good it really would have done me if I knew. I was sure I was far from passing and I passed. I'm not sure why it's all such a mystery, I would even sort of like to know how many I got right, although that info would also be completely useless to me.

My best guess is still that it's virtually always between 53 and 56, but that's a complete guess.

I just noticed that the actual number of "correct" you have is always less than the estimated number of "correct" you come to, by 3 to 5 question, using the "candidate diagnostic report" by NCEES.

I just noticed that the actual number of "correct" you have is always less than the estimated number of "correct" you come to, by 3 to 5 question, using the "candidate diagnostic report" by NCEES.
Elaborate please, with an example if you can.

Not sure I follow you. Are you saying there's a curve?

I think that might be true.

My supervisor got 71% and he told me that he guess 8 in the morning and 11 in the afternoon. The rest of question that he told me he is getting all of them correct (because after he using the equation and the answer come out same in one of the choices).

Let's calculate...80-8-11 = 61....base on what you said that 61 - (3 to 5) = 58,57, or 56....this equal to his result (71%)

I guess 8 in the morning and 12 in the afternoon. 80-8-12 = 60 and 60 -(3 to 5) = 57,56, or 55 is my score?

I finish all 40 question in the monrning, check again, and I still have 8 questions without final answer (But I did my best but the answer just not the same).....same thing in the afternoon but with 12 questions unknown.

Not sure I follow you. Are you saying there's a curve?
Sorry for the confusion.

All I am saying is that if you used your diagnostic report (or percentage correct) to calculate the approximate number of correct answer you will get a number that is always greater than the true total number of correct answer.

This means that somebody who said that, according his diagnostic report, he got 56 question correct, in fact got 56-3=53 questions correct.

By the way, does anybody know if States can independently revise down the cut score set by NCEES?

Sorry for the confusion. All I am saying is that if you used your diagnostic report (or percentage correct) to calculate the approximate number of correct answer you will get a number that is always greater than the true total number of correct answer.

This means that somebody who said that, according his diagnostic report, he got 56 question correct, in fact got 56-3=53 questions correct.
Yes. Why do you say that? Where do you get the number three? I don't see it- the numbers seem pretty self explanatory to me, but I haven't looked at it in that great of detail.

Here's the guy who claims he got 56. Where's the discrepancy of three qestions here-

Morning Session

Environmental 50% (4/8)

Geotechnical 75% (6/8)

Structural 50% (4/8)

Transportation 75% (6/8)

Water 88% (7/8)

Total Correct: 27

Afternoon Session

Wastewater 63% (5/8*)

Biology 88% (7/8*)

Solid/Hazardous Waste 80% (4/5*)

Groundwater 60% (3/5*)

Geotechnical 100% (4/4)

Water 60% (6/10)

Total Correct: 29

Total: 56

56/80 = 0.7

Please give an example or explain where the discrepancy is.

Yes. Why do you say that? Where do you get the number three? I don't see it- the numbers seem pretty self explanatory to me, but I haven't looked at it in that great of detail.
Here's the guy who claims he got 56. Where's the discrepancy of three qestions here-

Morning Session

Environmental 50% (4/8)

Geotechnical 75% (6/8)

Structural 50% (4/8)

Transportation 75% (6/8)

Water 88% (7/8)

Total Correct: 27

Afternoon Session

Wastewater 63% (5/8*)

Biology 88% (7/8*)

Solid/Hazardous Waste 80% (4/5*)

Groundwater 60% (3/5*)

Geotechnical 100% (4/4)

Water 60% (6/10)

Total Correct: 29

Total: 56

56/80 = 0.7

Please give an example or explain where the discrepancy is.
I will give an example later, when I arrive home.

Back