Cut Score Thread - Cuz it's bound to happen anyway

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ohhhh, I'd be feeling really confident if it's 42. I'm not that optimistic. I am afraid it will be significantly higher. Fingers crossed.

After the results come out, it would be funny for someone to post a failing score of something like 62/80 just to freak people out. Especially if you are the first state to come out.

[SIZE=medium]I took Mechanical - Thermal / Fluids depth and as most of us here my morning went good but the afternoon kicked my left nutt. I had similar feeling of thinking "where to hang my PE license" after the morning exam but the afternoon session has taken all that joy away.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]On my way back from exam I started calculating what the "cut-score" would be...in an attempt to see if I stand a chance on passing my exam. It’s later that I realized that I am trying to arrive a number with very few knowns and bunch of unknowns...so thats out. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Morning Exam: I felt that I might have scored about 70% [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Afternoon Exam: 15 (solid) + 15 (good engineering guesses..have spend a lot of time trying to solve but ended up guessing on the closest numbers I computed) x 0.4 + 10 (random guess as I ran out of time) x 0.2. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Therefore: [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Morning: 40 x 0.7 = 28 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Afternoon: 15+6+2 = 23 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Total: 51 / 80 ~ 63% raw..NOT SURE IF THIS IS ENOUGH!!! [/SIZE]

Memozee, you might have gotten more correct on the morning than you are assuming. Stay positive! Afternoon was a little choppy for me too.

Golden Eagle. What afternoon did you take? Wonder if we were in School of PE together.

After the results come out, it would be funny for someone to post a failing score of something like 62/80 just to freak people out. Especially if you are the first state to come out.
I don't think we'll ever know our raw score. Only a few states will even disclose the normalized score.

Golden Eagle. What afternoon did you take? Wonder if we were in School of PE together.

I think we were together. I took the Mechanical course on weeknights. It was a good course overall. I was happy with most of the profs. Since I took the MD depth, I had to pay close attention during those classes. I thought material helped me learn it well enough.

Where did you sit for the exam?

Austin, which ran like clockwork and it was at the Austin Convention Center which is a nice, newish venue.

I think 55/80 might be reasonable too. The cut score could be as simple as a 70% after 1 or 2 bad questions are thrown out. The NCEES description makes it sound more comlicated than that, with subject matter experts quantifying difficulty of each question which gets aggregated into an overal difficulty for that particular exam administration. Who knows it's all hocus pocus and there is no point to this speculation. But us engineering, OCD types are drawn in likes moths to a flame.

Cut score for April = 70% x (NCEES current expenses / NCEES current budget) x 6 months of inflation x Safety Factor. (Minimum of 68%)

Adjusted for errors in the exam and how evil NCEES felt that year of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that 55/80 cut score makes me nervous. Golden Eagle & Ready for PE, I took School of PE as well….I took the weekend option. My review of school of PE:

-Thermo & HVAC Instructors – Very Good

-Fluids & Machine Design Instructor – Fairly Good

-Engineering Econ & Project Management Science Instructor – Awful

Overall it was a decent review. What do you guys feel?

^Pretty much the same except I wouldn't have given the Econ guy such a poor grade. That may be because I wasn't really paying attention. The econ and project managment stuff comes naturally to me and I knew it wouldn't be huge on the exam so I wasn't paying really close attention, to be honest.

Back