CPESC anyone?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One year later and I can't say that this certification has materialized financially generating anything that I would not have gotten with my PE alone.
They are now requesting that I pay the 200 or so in annual dues.

I think that I am done
I was debating on going for CPESC as well cause there are a few people in my office that have it. However, I just obtained my PE in Civil so i doubt I'll be going for this as PE encompasses much more than this certification alone and I think the 200 in annual dues just doesnt fly with me...

Anyone has a spare CPESC exam review guide book to sell?

email me: jimhan27 at gmail dot com

Even though this thread has been slow, I thought that I would add my experience with the CPESC exam. It is not remotely comparable to the FE/PE. I attended the review class and, having worked for several years on various stormwater projects, felt very comfortable with the material presented. I spent about a week studying before the exam and made sure I knew the regulations cold. I used roak's study tips from 2009 because they were literally the only ones I could find online, and CPESC does not give you any real indication what the format of the exam will be like.

That said, I think I just about aced it. I just wish more information about the actual format of the test and the types of problems had been released. As of spring 2011, the exam is now entirely multiple choice. Everyone at my office who had taken it had essay questions or design problems, so my experience was pretty different.

Part 2 was supposed to have 6 problems of which you have to choose 3: Agriculture, Mining, Linear Construction, Small Commercial Development, Residential Development, and Forestry, with each section having 12 questions to answer. My test only had three sets of questions, so I didn't have a choice. I believe I had agriculture, linear construction, and small commercial, but they were all pretty similar types of questions with a different scenario.

I do a lot of SWPPP preparation and review, so the CPESC credential has been helpful. Even after becoming a PE, I think it verifies that you have legitimate knowledge about erosion and sediment control, so it looks good to have even if it isn't necessary in combination with a PE.

I just took this last week. I found it a very reasonable exam, if you have been working in the field for any decent amount of time (10+ years for me).

No, it's not the FE/PE ... it is topic specific. Why do you need to test someones knowledge of Diffy Q or Electricity and Magnetism on an ENS exam?

I passed it, but it was only the cpesc-it. It took 4 hours. It's pretty straight forward. You get a gold pin for your shirt, a pencil, and an certification. It's actually useful when writing specs, and designing erosion control plans. I will never use unnecessary silt fences again.

MS civil engineering

BA environmental analysis

BS mechanical engineer

PE civil

Leed ap bd+c

Qsd/qsp

Cpesc-it

No problem. Get the study book before hand if you can.

The test is not overly difficult if you have been doing ENS and hydrology for a while, but like anything, you need to be accustomed to "their" way of doing it. It is also an international test, so you may need to brush up on/familiarize yourself with ENS practices you may not be used to dealing with, for me this was wind erosion. There are also several question that are basically ENS history questions .... NPDES dates, CWA dates, etc .... right out of the book, but something you probably would not know unless you read up on it.

Good luck!

My two cents on the CPESC and CPSWQ:

I have certification for both (passed CPESC 11/14 and CPSWQ 4/15).  I did not take the review courses for either one.  The test prep material they give you is helpful but not near in-depth enough for what they give you on the exams.  I found errors on both tests and told the proctor.  I did not spend nearly as much time preparing for these as I did for the PE exam, nor should you.  

It is extremely difficult trying to find a local exam being offered in the next couple of months.  I had to wait almost 6 months to find one being offered in Ohio.  Envirocert is now offering an online test option, so maybe that will allow more people to take the exams.  I can only hope the online exams are being administered at a testing center, since the exams are closed book.  Offering an online, at-home test will definitely encourage cheating since you can Google most of the answers.

It is extremely difficult trying to find a local exam being offered in the next couple of months.  I had to wait almost 6 months to find one being offered in Ohio.  Envirocert is now offering an online test option, so maybe that will allow more people to take the exams.  I can only hope the online exams are being administered at a testing center, since the exams are closed book.  Offering an online, at-home test will definitely encourage cheating since you can Google most of the answers.
Online exams will be offered by PSI: http://cpesc.org/OnLinePSIExam2015.pdf

Back