CPESC anyone?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if your state does its own certification (LIA) what the point of getting the CSEPC?

I dont see anything different that you can do with that versus the PE and the state certification for erosion control?

if your state does its own certification (LIA) what the point of getting the CSEPC?
I dont see anything different that you can do with that versus the PE and the state certification for erosion control?
The difference occurs when a specific client requests having a certified person on staff.

but like CE said, isnt it an either or sitation in terms of what the law requires?

ferryg --
Good luck taking the exam on the next go round !!

I was looking at some resources within my state and noticed that my Department offers a two-day course and accompanying 'state' certification for sediment erosion control. There is information about the certification and a handbook if you or anyone else is interested:

The Florida Stormwater, Erosion, and Sedimentation Control Inspector Training & Certification Program

JR
I got this certifiaction, but there was not a big test like a P.E. Should i be calling my self a licensed CPESC?

^^ I don't know, but the one guy I know who has the certificaiton puts those initials after his name on his business card after "PE" and when signing anything to do with erosion control plans. He even has a special CPESC stamp that he got somewhere, and he dual-stamps his design basis report with it and his PE stamp.

yes I just got my "brown card" from the GSWCC (GA Soil Water Conservation Commission) certifying me as a "level II Certified Design Professional" so now I have to get my business card changed to Road Guy, P.E. ,L2CDP

yes I just got my "brown card" from the GSWCC (GA Soil Water Conservation Commission) certifying me as a "level II Certified Design Professional" so now I have to get my business card changed to Road Guy, P.E. ,L2CDP

Road Guy, P.E. ,L2CDP

Is that R2D2 or C3PO

I took the review course in Ohio last year - that's all that's required by law at the moment here. Full certification to be required in a few years.

I took the review course in Ohio last year - that's all that's required by law at the moment here. Full certification to be required in a few years.
Out of curiousity - what kind of work will be requiring the full certification? Is it certification where professional engineering certification does not cover the requirement?

Thanks.

JR

Out of curiousity - what kind of work will be requiring the full certification? Is it certification where professional engineering certification does not cover the requirement?
Thanks.

JR
I can't recall the date when things switch from requiring just the class to the full certification, but I want to say it is 2009. This is for the state DOT.

Here's what you need it for:

Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SS 832.12).
1. The Department requires that the SWPPP be designed by an Engineer (P.E.) that has attended and completed the CPESC Exam Review Course. The effective date of the CPESC training requirement is July 1, 2006. The designer’s CPESC training record will be made available for confirmation by the project.
-and-

Inspections and Updates (SS 832.14)....The inspector must be CPESC Trained....

When I took the CPESC Exam review course, our instructor mentioned that every E&S plan in NY state must now be certified by a licensed CPESC. I reside and work in Pennsylvania - can anyone confirm?

But yeah, after the spring exam, PA was up to around 45 CPESCs, including myself and 3 others who work for the same small firm as I do. Weird!

How does the crossover to CPSWQ work? Another exam or just another fee?

Edit: on a related note, does anyone have the review book?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah - I'm eager to hear about it too, though I have heard a little from the guy I know who took it. He thought it was "tough". I would like to go and take both tests sometime during the next year.

I took the exam last month. It was tough and I just found out I passed it. The CPESC is important because most PE's don't know there ass from their elbow when it comes to SWPPP's or the basic fundimentals of ESC. Take the exam. In NYS where I'm from, the only individuals that can certify SWPPP's are PE's, Registered LA's, Soils scientist's and CPESC's

Well...I took the exam today...and I must admit...I think it DEMOLISHED me. The exam literally took my blaster rifle...and smashed it over my head. I could not believe the depth of some of the questions on there. One REALLY needs to be prepared for this test. I went in thinking I would have little problem...not the case.
There were several topics on there I have never dealt with. The review course is a joke. You absolutely MUST have the review manual to study though. I really didn't study as intently as I should have...and that is my fault. I think it is a reasonable, and passable exam. However...it was more difficult then I had ever envisioned. Kudos to all of you who passed it.

Not having experience in some of the topic areas really sunk me. I will take the exam again...and now knowing what it is like...I plan to pass. However...if you plan I doing it yourself...I suggest getting the manual early...and memorize everything in there that you do not already know.

Hi Ferryg

I took the exam last month and it demolished me as well. I was still able to pass it ( got a 78) by the grace of god, don't ask me how. Yes, the test is difficult and in my opinion, the calculation for pure seed mix and fertilizer were ridiculous. Some of the erosion questions were insane. I did study my ass off and like you, encountered topic I wasn't totally familiar with. Write back

That's interesting- in California you can certify a SWPPP as long as you've been to SWPPP training (it's a day long deal, no big deal, no test or anything) EXCEPT settling ponds, as they actually have to be engineered. If you had one of those, then that part had to be stamped but the rest was still good by you. I've certified probably near a hundred of them there. Kind of why I was wondering what the big deal was. If other states treat it differently I can understand that I guess, although I don't think that THAT particular certification really makes you legit to certify a SWPPP.

I thought about going for the CPESC or CPSWQ. But it doesn't look like those certifications grant you anything you can't already do as a PE so I never bothered. I'd like to sit in on a review class sometime or get the books though, the material sounds worthwhile.

I've been blown away by how full of themselves the CPESC board has been in my experiences. I've been writing SWPPP's since I was 2 months out of college and I have passed every audit and when I asked to get permission to take the test, the representative said "I think you'd probably have some trouble with the math sections." What a ridiculous comment. We're engineers, we can handle a little multiplication. They aren't asking us 3rd-order derivatives.

I was only going to get the certification as a notch on the belt and from what I've seen here in Texas, not only does it not matter, but most people don't even know what it is.

I have only just recently, become aware of the CPESC certification. My hometown just passed a local bylaw (Stormwater Management & Land Disturbance Regulations) requiring all proposed developments with over 20,000 s.f. of "cumulative" alteration of land to file for a Special Permit before development can take place.

A condition of the special permit is that the applicant must submit a Site Plan, prepared by a Prof. Eng. AND a CPESC. WOW! I thought that once I obtained an education, took the EIT, worked for several years, busted my but to pass the PE that I had finally obtained the stature of a Professional and that my credibility and ability to provide a suitable ESC plan wouldnt be questioned!

Of course, I will now have to travel to RI or PA or NY in the next few months to spend two days training, or in my case "re-training" and getting privately "re-certified", by a company that I, and apparently few others, know very little about. So thats 2 days of lost wages, travel, meals, hotel expense, and of course the cost of the course and exam, and annual renewal, to have someone tell me what I already know. BUT I get a piece of paper to prove it, and the honor and priviledge of charging no more for my services than I already do. Oh yeah and I'll have to throw away 500 business cards and get them reprinted with PE, CPESC added, so that EVERYONE will know that I too, was sucker punched into getting another useless "Private" certification.

But wait, here we go down the slippery slope of Local government officials (most often lay persons, aggreived by a recent development of the woods in their back yard), using their new found position and "powers" to stroke thier egos, and promulgate regulations that are not always based on sound reasoning and logical principles.

Essentially, until I get my certification from CPESC, INC. as a CPESC, I will need to hire a CPESC consultant to review and sign my own plans, in my own town. Oh, and just to add salt to the wound, since 1990 their have been only 33 - yeah thats right 33 CPESC's obtained in my whole state. That's 10,000+ practicing PE's and only 33 CPESC's, of which about half are PE's. Im afraid that if this catches on with the other town's in my area, I may be out of business, in an already dismal economy.

Just to add another kick in the groin when your already down for the count, the consulting engineer's firm for the planning board, has three of the CPESC's in his office. The closest CPESC to my office (other than the Consultants) is 20+ miles away.

Another thing that worries me is that this is a "Private" company, (Which apparently has only been around since 2000 and according to their profile on www.manta.com, only has 2 employees and manufactures Industrial instruments for Measurement, etc). How did this company gain credibility to issue these certifications (has anyone asked or does anyone really know the history of the company?)

Does anyone know if this certification has been sanctioned or recognized by ANY state or federal agency, dept, etc. What do the Professional Registration Boards have to say about "local municipalities" REQUIRING professional certification from a "Private" company. What is next a "Private" certification for design of retaining walls, drainage, surveying, you name it. Where will it stop. If it doesnt, would anyone like to take Bill's certification for sewer and pump design, I hear its going to be a local by-law in my home town soon, and the two hour training course is only $500 and its just another $200 a year renewal fee ($150 if you subscribe to my newsletter published by Bills Sewer & Pump, Inc.). I'm hoping it will catch on and in a few years everyone will want to be certified by me, if it does I might branch out into other fields of certification as well, say Doctors and Lawyers. Their State licenses will be useless in my town, without Bill's Inc, certification for Internal Medicine and Tort's.

My opinion, as if its not obvious, take the course for CEU credit, or for training just so you can keep abreast of the latest in science and tech., but to make it a requirement to perform a job for which licensure already assures "competentency", and reputation assures "quality" this certification is HOGWASH.

Professionals should take pride in their abilty to obtain licensure, and NOT allow self-serving private companies , to "cheapen" our status by offering "certifications", (after all if you dont pass the test, they cant collect the $200.00 for going past GO).

Back