COVID-19

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does the one year "reset" or get delayed (for lack of better words) if NCEES is the one canceling the exam? Does anyone know?
The email that I got said to give them (NCEES) some time to work everything out before contacting them or your state board.

Gahhh, I just got that email as well.

I have a question regarding the one year rule. I'm talking about that policy where you have to pass the PE Exam within one year of getting your approval letter to take the exam (otherwise you have to reapply). Does the one year "reset" or get delayed (for lack of better words) if NCEES is the one canceling the exam? Does anyone know?
That is a question for your state board as each state has different requirements when it comes to sitting for the exam. 

I don't understand why they are automatically refunding rather than asking if you want one or rescheduled for Oct.

Now I wonder when they will update the references I sure hope they don't change! I'm civil with structural depth so I don't wanna have to get all new stuff...
Not sure about Civil/Structural. For electrical the main code book (NEC) we have to bring was update for 2020 so I think NCEES will start using that version in 2021. I could be wrong though. 

Not sure about Civil/Structural. For electrical the main code book (NEC) we have to bring was update for 2020 so I think NCEES will start using that version in 2021. I could be wrong though. 
your thought process aligns with what I've seen. They *may* delay the switch due to transition to CBT. But who knows! 

I can only imagine how you guys are feeling right now! It really sucks. At least if you now plan to take it in Oct, you can slow your studying pace down and spend some time with your families. A nice long break, then getting back into it would actually help you retain more information, so at least there's that.

Definitely going to take a break and get back to doing some a the things I enjoy, then when I mentally get over this I will get back to it but at a slower pace. 

I took a vacation day today to study and do some things around the house. I think I'm just going to walk to the bar now. I think I need beer!
That I would  definitely do at this moment. I'll take a break from studying, enjoy the thing that I typically do , and spend time with family. I would still study but not as much as I do at the past 5 months.

That's what's more depressing. Now we get 1 shot before it goes to CBT. So now I gladly bought all these reference books , tabs, online course, etc etc etc etc.... and I get 1 chance. After that, it goes to CBT and all of that is completely wasted time. 
Many people have concerns when the exam switches over to CBT, I was one of them. But the pass rates have increased, and the wait time has decreased. Examinees shouldn't fear the next format. I would personally recommend that people try to be one of the first ones to take the CBT exam, rather than waiting a few months.

Gahhh, I just got that email as well.

I have a question regarding the one year rule. I'm talking about that policy where you have to pass the PE Exam within one year of getting your approval letter to take the exam (otherwise you have to reapply). Does the one year "reset" or get delayed (for lack of better words) if NCEES is the one canceling the exam? Does anyone know?
Is this a state board thing or an NCEES thing?
The email that I got said to give them (NCEES) some time to work everything out before contacting them or your state board.
^this  :plusone:

Well it's still tentative for 2021! Hopefully it won't convert in April 2021. But, you won't need more than 1 chance!
your thought process aligns with what I've seen. They *may* delay the switch due to transition to CBT. But who knows! 
I HIGHLY doubt they'll delay the transition. The only way I see it getting delayed is if society gets "shut down" for a prolonged period of time.

As an April 2018 test taker I'll preface by saying I'm sorry everybody.  I can only imagine your frustration right now. But folks, if you end up having to do the CBT I doubt you have much reason to feel dismayed.  As @RBHeadge PE mentioned, pass rates are higher with CBT exams than pencil/paper across the board.  And although this is a personal preference, I find doing Ctrl-F in a PDF to seek out information much easier than endlessly flipping through dusty books that may not even possess what you're looking for. 

Also, the only way in which any of your study materials are a waste is if you didn't crack them open.  Not being able to take your books into the exam doesn't negate their value.  If through your studying you got a greater understanding of the material from them they have served their purpose.  

Also, the only way in which any of your study materials are a waste is if you didn't crack them open.  Not being able to take your books into the exam doesn't negate their value.  If through your studying you got a greater understanding of the material from them they have served their purpose.  
👍

Many people have concerns when the exam switches over to CBT, I was one of them. But the pass rates have increased, and the wait time has decreased. Examinees shouldn't fear the next format. I would personally recommend that people try to be one of the first ones to take the CBT exam, rather than waiting a few months.

^this  :plusone:

I HIGHLY doubt they'll delay the transition. The only way I see it getting delayed is if society gets "shut down" for a prolonged period of time.
If anything I see them redoubling their efforts to expedite the transition over to CBT for PEs for all disciplines, given that it looks like life will be reoriented around social distancing for the next couple of years while a vaccine is still being developed.

Back