COVID-19

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was just gonna be like ooooooo i hope you didnt take a picture during the exam...and then share it!

i shoulda known better lol

We will see but gathering of hundreds of people is not a small risk..

The test location near Chicago is also one big mixed room.
When I took the exam in Illinois this past October, the room was only the 60-70 SE examinees.  Illinois has separate testing locations for the PE exams.  Given that the exam is administered by a third-party testing service, and Illinois has a separate Structural Engineering Board, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.  

When I took the exam in Illinois this past October, the room was only the 60-70 SE examinees.  Illinois has separate testing locations for the PE exams.  Given that the exam is administered by a third-party testing service, and Illinois has a separate Structural Engineering Board, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.  
Oh really?  The place I signed up for is the same I took my PE years ago and I remember seeing the SE people there... but I guess I can't say I can guarantee we were in the same room at the time, though I thought it was.  Either way, maybe it's different now.

I wonder when NCEES is gonna make a decision either way.  Or if they're even considering it. 

....from NCEES site ....

Medical/surgical face masks (must be worn or placed on the floor; proctors must visually inspect the mask; mask must be removed for ID verification

Then what's the point of the mask? And if I was a proctors I'd tell NCEES to kick rocks ... I'm fairly certain those folks aren't paid well enough to "touch" and "inspect" peoples masks ... honestly it's the proctors at the biggest risk and, let's be honest,  most of which tend to be older.  

I have to admit. Our SE room was sorta nice bc it was such a small crowd.  The proctors were nice too.  But the irony of a small room is its soooooo quiet.  Making aggressive page flippers that much more annoying.  

I wish.  I was doing ok until concrete.  I don't do a lot of 
The concrete isnt bad once you see that bc it's all most 100% prescriptive that for the most part its just knowing the checks for the memeber type and system type.  I have some good references I'd suggest that summarize this greatly.  Both are written by David Fanella.

One is his CRSI Seismic design of low rise conc buildings which is outstanding bc its organized by SDC and his concrete design text book,  which I believe the latest is a 2nd edition.

The concrete isnt bad once you see that bc it's all most 100% prescriptive that for the most part its just knowing the checks for the memeber type and system type.  I have some good references I'd suggest that summarize this greatly.  Both are written by David Fanella.

One is his CRSI Seismic design of low rise conc buildings which is outstanding bc its organized by SDC and his concrete design text book,  which I believe the latest is a 2nd edition.
Thanks. I'll check them out.  :)

FWIW, the number of PE examinees this administration will probably be about 15-20% less than previous years because the ME's are going CBT this spring.

On the other hand, I don't think the State and Local authorities are going to care much about the distinction between 249 people and 251 people. If the jurisdiction is taking the social distancing controls seriously, their going to err on the side of caution.

I wonder when NCEES is gonna make a decision either way.  Or if they're even considering it. 
I don't speak for NCEES nor do I have any inside information, but I can see what is going on everywhere else in the country. I'm certain they are exploring all the options and I'd imagine they're like everyone else and will be making a decision sooner than later.

....from NCEES site ....

Medical/surgical face masks (must be worn or placed on the floor; proctors must visually inspect the mask; mask must be removed for ID verification

Then what's the point of the mask? And if I was a proctors I'd tell NCEES to kick rocks ... I'm fairly certain those folks aren't paid well enough to "touch" and "inspect" peoples masks ... honestly it's the proctors at the biggest risk and, let's be honest,  most of which tend to be older.  
Again, I don't speak for NCEES, but I can't imagine that the "inspection" is anything more than a quick visual inspection to make sure that there aren't any recording devices, electronics, or written material (read: exam questions) hand written on the mask.

Welp, better now that April I suppose. Besides, how hard can it be to retain all this information for 7 months? 🤔

I didn't get any email yet but I assume that I will be getting an official email from NCEES about the cancellation of my SE exam.

@davab

No need to wait for an email, it is on their website: https://ncees.org/covid-19/

I understand why, but that doesn't help the frustration much.  I guess I'll be taking both in October to try and beat the code change.  RIP football season. Edit: Assuming the world hasn't ended by then...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was scheduled to take lateral in IL, just got the official cancelation email.

Back