Construction

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Offensive -- I didn't mean to be, but ignorant, Have you taken both exams? Can you speak knowledgeably to the differences of both? Not that I am an expert on both exams, nor do I ever hope to be, but I have taken both exams and feel that that their is a sizable difference in level of difficulty between the two. I realize that there is a series of requirements that have to be met to even sit for the exam, but I feel more effort needs to be put forth by the board to do due just to the construction module. Maybe someday I will be able to help the board rewriting the exam :)
Navy, I hope you passed or you will feel kinda rediculous. If you feel that way about the exam you took, I think you should decline the License if you pass and then take a 'real" PM module.

I think NCEES would pick exam writers with a better attitude and more respect for Licensure.

I don't believe that I said anyone was a fraud.
Just out of curiosity, if you don't design in an office and do drawings, why are you attempting to attain your PE?
Probably for the same reason that most of us in construction (Heavy Highway/Vertical) do, because we want to be the project manager. Most clients won't let unregistered engineers lead jobs and with today's design/build projects it is almost imperative to have at least one registered engineer on the project.

All of our construction jobs required STAMPED as-built plans, as well as professional engineering judgment on the job site. Of course, if you think all it takes is a project management certification, tell that to the people who have been killed because of project manager change orders that are never reviewed by an engineer.

Just because the construction depth seemed plug and chug to you doesn't mean it's not valid. I'm pretty sure the same can be said of all the depths...if you're prepared for the exam, it's all about making the numbers do the right thing in the right equation.

Additionally, the ethics involved in you being licensed in construction because you couldn't hack the structural depth, and then continuing to do structural design are questionable. Being a PROFESSIONAL engineer is about more than passing an exam.

I took the transpo PE, but now work in construction, I would rather stamp plans based on charts in the green book sometimes than get the calls that I now get 'Ughh the piles wouldnt drive to minimum tip, design firm and contractors shop drawing engineer disagree on revised length of tie backs required, over, what do we do?

I dont mean to "beat the dead horse"..

But I am planning on taking my PE Exam next Spring (2009) and I am more than likely going to take the Civil-Construction exam.

I got a degree in Construction Engineering, YES it is ABET accredited. Honestly, it is So similar to Structural Engineering, I could have stayed an extra semester and taking (3) more classes, 12 more hours and gotten a bachelors in Civil with a structural concentration. If you look up the definition to civil engineering, it will have construct or over see construction in there somewhere...

I am now working in a design position for a design-build contractor, however, I have worked in a field supervision position and I am also a licensed general contractor..

So I agree with the other threads, there IS a difference between a "construction engineer" and a field superintindent.

Also, a little off subject, anyone familiar with the architectural exam? I have some AIA's at my office that are interested in me taking that discipline..

The Architectural has a construction management section.. look over that stuff, WHICH IS CONSTRUCTION MANGEMENT, and not Construction Engineering.. Its all contract verbage, construction issues, etc.

I was better prepared this time for the breadth portion this time around.
I cannot wait until more people take the construction module and get other people's thoughts on it. It seemed far too basic. It is pointless to attempt to argue with what anyone has already posted, but I think time will show that some changes need to be made.

Yes, I am in the Navy.
Navy Pe,

I think you are way off base with your comments. I graduated with a civil engineering degree in '94 and spent a little over 12 years in the construction field with a private contractor. I now work in the engineering department for a city in the phoenix, az area. Having just passed the PE exam, and by taking the transportation depth, I feel I am that much smater in that area of expertise. I didn't even consider the construction modual because it is so new. The construction field is so broad, one could be exposed to anything. And with very little review material, I considered the construction modual a big risk to focus on.

That brings up another issue, the afternoon moduals and the morning session are only testing the academic side of engineering. Having been out of school for 14 years now, there is a lot more to this business than what I studied for on the exam.

I am finding I am better equiped at being a project manager over capitlal improvement projects having a construction background. In just the last 2 1/2 years of been exposed to the owners side, I have had to have more knowledge in design to be able to review plans. Having passed the test didn't instantly make me a different engineer, I have always felt I have been an good engineer. I have had this conversation with many different professionals along the way that have engineering degrees that either worked for a consultant, agency, contrator, whatever. They all have felt that problem solving is the main objective of an engineer, whatever your expertise may be. I have worked with superintendents that have a high school education that could school a structural engineer on an 8 story steel frame pretty quick. Running claculations through a computer doesn't always make you the smartest guy in the room. The biggest argument I think one person can make about engineering, is that no one can justifiy which discipline out weighs the other. The best direction I think you could make from here is to learn as much as you can, always respect the other profressionals you come in touch with on different projects, keep an open mind that you don't know everything, and enjoy the work you do.

I took the construction portion without even studying for it and felt i smoked it.
My biggest issue is that there is no way someone should be a registered PE if they passed the construction portion.

CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT IS NOT ENGINEERING!!!

AGC offers the Certified Professional Constructor, take that if you want to be a construction manager.
Just curious, if this individual passed.

Back