Construction Studying

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am taking the Construction Depth April 2009, I have bought the NCEES Sample Quesions as well as the 11th Edition CERM.
However I feel there are not many construction questions to practice on or get a feel for what they want you to know.. (I sort of had in mind to use the NCEES as a "practice exam" later on down the road as opposed to using the questions to study, and I will basically be familiar with them when I sit down to do my "practice test".

Does anyone know if there is a "Six-Minute Solutions" for the Construction Depth? I have the books for Geo, Structural to help me through the AM sections, but do feel lost as far as a wide variety of questions types to study/practice.

I saw on another post ppl. recommend going through the NCEES exam ouline w/ your CERM index and marking out topics, etc. that are not clearly mentioned by the NCEES to help focus your study efforts..

Any other advice? How much do most ppl. study? I was thinking of starting to ease my way into it for the Spring 2009 soon..

Thanks..
See attached.

You should also think about emptying your inbox. This would enable you to receive personal messages from others. :)

See attached.
You should also think about emptying your inbox. This would enable you to receive personal messages from others. :)
I need to know in the NCEES Sample and Solutions, Problem 502

how they get the intersection angle = 41.22 degres

12.8ft=200ft(1- cos I/2)

I=? They use a trig identiti o I am a Gigantic DoucheBag

How about the new book for the afternoon construction module?

Civil (PE) Professional Engineer Exam, Construction Module (Paperback)

by Ruwan Rajapakse (Editor, Illustrator), PE (Author), CCM (Author), CCE (Author), AVS (Author)

Does anyone have it?? It appears to go through every afternoon section in detail. Index can be seen on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Civil-Professional-E...7857&sr=8-1

How about the new book for the afternoon construction module?
Civil (PE) Professional Engineer Exam, Construction Module (Paperback)

by Ruwan Rajapakse (Editor, Illustrator), PE (Author), CCM (Author), CCE (Author), AVS (Author)

Does anyone have it?? It appears to go through every afternoon section in detail. Index can be seen on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Civil-Professional-E...7857&sr=8-1
Yea I have it and its pretty good. It says there is another book by him that has construction breath problems and solutions but the publisher decided due to the economy to not publish it.

Yea I have it and its pretty good. It says there is another book by him that has construction breath problems and solutions but the publisher decided due to the economy to not publish it.
Thanks Adrock! I'm glad someone else out there is using the book. I just bought it for $55 on amazon. Sounds like it is worth it.

Guys... I am Ruwan Rajapakse, the author of Civil PE Construction Module. When I wrote the book I had only the NCEES subject guide.

http://www.amazon.com/Civil-Professional-E...8805&sr=8-1

I covered all the subjects necessary. Now I am writing practice questions and solutions book. But I dont know what type of questions came up in the October exam. Since material cannot be taken out I have to rely on word of mouth. Many dont remember. Many give partial answers.

I really appreciate if anyone of you who had taken the exam post here detailed description of questions appeared, i really appreciate it.

NCEES normally invite PEs to provide sample questions. they pick ones they like. So one exam to other can change drastically.

Thanks!

Ruwan Rajapakse

[email protected]

Guys... I am Ruwan Rajapakse, the author of Civil PE Construction Module. When I wrote the book I had only the NCEES subject guide.
http://www.amazon.com/Civil-Professional-E...8805&sr=8-1

I covered all the subjects necessary. Now I am writing practice questions and solutions book. But I dont know what type of questions came up in the October exam. Since material cannot be taken out I have to rely on word of mouth. Many dont remember. Many give partial answers.

I really appreciate if anyone of you who had taken the exam post here detailed description of questions appeared, i really appreciate it.

NCEES normally invite PEs to provide sample questions. they pick ones they like. So one exam to other can change drastically.

Thanks!

Ruwan Rajapakse

[email protected]

I saw an email from another guy on here that wrote to you and you said your publisher wont be putting out the questions and solutions book due to the bad economy. Did something change? The NCEES PE Sample Problems and Solutions Book are probably the best example of whats going to be on the test. I don't think anyone will describe the questions on the actual test because that would violate the agreement and they would lose their PE.

I saw an email from another guy on here that wrote to you and you said your publisher wont be putting out the questions and solutions book due to the bad economy. Did something change? The NCEES PE Sample Problems and Solutions Book are probably the best example of whats going to be on the test. I don't think anyone will describe the questions on the actual test because that would violate the agreement and they would lose their PE.
Hi Adrock....PEs who generated the problems will never give out. But from students who sat for the exam I have got some idea. Yes...publishers are cautious about printing new books. But I think there could be a market for a questions and answers book.

Hi Adrock....PEs who generated the problems will never give out. But from students who sat for the exam I have got some idea. Yes...publishers are cautious about printing new books. But I think there could be a market for a questions and answers book.
Yea I'll buy one if you can get one together soon. I'm scheduled to take the April exam for the 1st time.

If I understand what you're asking... you want people who took the examination to describe the types of questions on the exam. But how much detail are you looking for? If I were to say there was a scheduling question is that good enough? Or do you want to know there was a scheduling question that used Activity on Arc and required the calculation of slack time?

I'd think NCEES might have a problem with the latter - but who knows...

If I understand what you're asking... you want people who took the examination to describe the types of questions on the exam. But how much detail are you looking for? If I were to say there was a scheduling question is that good enough? Or do you want to know there was a scheduling question that used Activity on Arc and required the calculation of slack time?
I'd think NCEES might have a problem with the latter - but who knows...
I am not a lawyer. If it is illegal to talk about the exam may be its not a good idea to do so.

Sorry for the trouble.

rar123,

Do you know when you will be able to ship my book out? I bought last week on Amazon directly from you but I haven't heard anything yet.

Thanks,

Michael Miller

rar123,

I would buy your example problems book too for a decent price. Any chance you could sell some of those directly to us now so we can use it to study for the april exam? I need more example problems because their aren't many sample questions out there to prepare for the construction exam. Please send me an e-mail ([email protected]) or PM if this is something you are interested in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not a lawyer. If it is illegal to talk about the exam may be its not a good idea to do so.
Sorry for the trouble.
Its not a crime but it'll get your license taken away. The NCEES monitors this forum regularly. And it even happened to someone recently. The NCEES has a practice problems and solutions book. Why don't you just come up with additional similar problems that incorporate the full scope of the exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not a crime but it'll get your license taken away. The NCEES monitors this forum regularly. And it even happened to someone recently. The NCEES has a practice problems and solutions book. Why don't you just come up with additional similar problems that incorporate the full scope of the exam.
Adrock...I see you have bought my book. I appreciate if you could let me know the strong chapters and weak chapters since I am doing practice examples book.

Thanks

Ruwan

Sorry for the trouble.
I'm not a lawyer, either... and I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

Seriously, I don't know the answer. I think topics and types of questions should be fine. I doubt NCEES will say one way or the other.

From the other board:

"As a reminder, when you took the NCEES examination you signed an agreement that included the statement that you agreed you “will not reveal in whole or part any exam questions, answers, problems, or solutions to anyone during or after the exam, whether orally, in writing, or any internet chat rooms, or otherwise.” This agreement also stated that failure to comply with this could invalidate your exam results.

We do monitor this and other forums. Please do not share exam content. We do not wish to invalidate your results.

Thanks,

Tim Miller

NCEES Director of Exam Services"

Back