College Majors that Require the Most Effort

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csb

Reaction score
http://education.yahoo.net/articles/most_time-consuming_majors.htm?kid=1O169

Area of Study #1 - Engineering
iblp_8004_101_151x185.jpg
Average Hours Seniors Spent Preparing for Class Per Week*: 18 hours
Average Hours Faculty Expected Seniors to Study Per Week*: 17 hours
Common Majors**: Civil engineering, computer engineering, electrical engineering

Engineering majors top the NSSE survey, reporting more hours of study per week than any other field. And is it really a surprise? According to the College Board, an organization that promotes higher education, engineering majors learn to solve practical problems and help design MP3 players or oil-drilling techniques.

Why It's Time-Consuming: Clearly, engineering majors have a lot on their plates. "Every paragraph you read needs to be dissected for comprehension, and every problem can take hours to solve," explains Rambo says.

Plus, peoples' lives are often at stake as a result of what engineers create, so training in school must be rigorous, says Rambo. "The coursework is demanding for very good reasons. Schools want to train students effectively - no one wants the person whose bridge fails to come from their school," she says.

Yay for the nerdy kids who had no fun!

Rambo says engineering is hard. :Locolaugh:

filepicker%2FfzUHMPVoSMmUSmQA2Qly_rambo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure Women's Studies, Political Science, and Art History are all far more difficult.

LOL! I like the link to the next article even better.

Philosophy is a wonderful and fascinating field that delves into life's biggest questions: What is consciousness? Why should we be ethical? Why can't I find a job? Oh, sorry, that last one is not usually asked in school - but it may be asked when you graduate with a philosophy degree.

I have a friend who got a degree in philosophy. He told me a lot of people ask him what you do with a degree in philosophy. He said either you teach or you spend a lot of time thinking about things while you're roofing (I'd hired him to roof my house).

my cousin like quadruple majored in philosophy, archeology, history, anthropolgy. She is an HR sort of person now that has all those isso 900 crap

^You should have told her what Dad told me when I mentioned advertising: "Get a real degree."

Last edited by a moderator:
it's OK, she has Museum Studies as a minor...

she spent the whole summer before her senior year in HS doing research on majors and made a very thorough presentation. there weren't no stopping that train at that point.

it's OK, she has Museum Studies as a minor...

she spent the whole summer before her senior year in HS doing research on majors and made a very thorough presentation. there weren't no stopping that train at that point.

I plan to have the kids create a business plan and present it to me before I agree to finance their college education. Nevermind that I already set aside funds in a 529; I'll happily consume it for them if they can't use it in a satisfactory manner, much like I often threaten to do with their dinners.

I went to a small school right out of the army (Valdosta State) trying to take classes to transfer to an engineering school, but there was a small group of us that had CALC, Physics, Chemistry, etc all 8-12 classes, then we would hit the library and go through problems for about 4 hours, and then we would go do something "fun" and then later study if we were not too drunk..

I remember having to "check out" the calculus solutions manual from the school library cause they didnt sell it at the bookstore and then someone figured out you could order it (through a phone catalog) no internet - but we were bad ass group cause we had our own solutions manual (to odd numbered problems)....

"all degree programs are equally difficult" - Fellow engineer's GF over dinner (theater studies major)

Back