Club for people who passed April 2015

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First try, chemical. I also took the PPI course and thought it was worth it for the structure if nothing else. Basically I did the same things as you, TxTrot73, and apparently the strategy worked well, at least for chemical. I will say though that for the last couple of weeks before the test I worked problems daily.

Civil Water Resources / Environmental

First time taking the exam. 22 years after passing the FE. Haven't done much engineering for the past 18 years. Mainly environmental consulting. I knew this would be very tough, but it really wanted to do it. Took both PPI review courses: Civil with Andy Richardson and Water Resources Depth with someone else. Andy is awesome!! Both classes forced me to do lots of homework plus practice tests to qualify for their guarantee, which I fully expected to need. Got all the books that came with the classes. Pretty much the only materials I used. I rented Metcalf and Eddy, but never used it. No real secret, except for lots of studying and practice exams. Andy said to shoot for 200 hrs of prep time. I didn't keep track, but I was probably somewhere around that.

Just glad this is behind me. Now to get my NCEES record.
Just a comment, I listened to Andy's podcasts and enjoyed them. They're a bit older, but were mostly applicable to all disciplines. I found them motivating.

First try, Water Resources Civil - Passed

I basically started at the beginning of February. Started trying to work the CERM companion questions, found them to be way too hard and not worth the trouble. Purchased the All-in-One sample exams, the NCEES sample exam, and went through the notes for School of PE. Studied for 2-3 hours a night, 3 or 4 days through the week. And then on the weekend I would devote Saturday or Sunday to solid studying, at least 6-8 hours.

Felt I over-prepared as the test was a breeze. Finished the afternoon section in 2 hours, checked my answers for 30 minutes and then got on the road back home.
Is Goswami the author of those All-In-One sample exams or someone else?

Texas Civil/WR. Passed 1st time with a close score of 75%. Studied about 2.5 months. Paid for and attended the School of PE classes which I found to be incredibly helpful. I only took in my School of PE notes and a 12th edition CERM. First 2 months I spent reading, referencing, attending class, and tabbing. Spent last 2 weeks doing nothing but problems. Averaged 3 hours of studying a day, 5days a week.

Civil- Construction. First time taker, I studied on my own and spent 3 months and logged around 150 hours. I didn't have to study much for the morning section because I passed my FE last year and I put in around 250 hours for that test.

Civil - Construction...first time taker. Congrats to everyone!

It's been 15 years since I graduated, so I had to put in a little more time than the average test taker and ended up logging 361 hrs. Probably was a bit overkill, but decided to beastmode so I knew I wouldn't fail due to lack of effort or preparation.

I took an online review course though my alma mater and several practice exams. I started studying in earnest in December. Last two weeks did nothing but timed practice exams. Biggest thing that helped me was the online class and the NCEES practice exams.

I didnt feel the afternoon construction was any harder than the morning session. Ended both with about 15 mins left and just checked that I hadn't left any bubbles blank or had any other marking problems on the scantron.

Passed PE-Industrial. I just prepared for 10 days before the exam date (one full week off from the work). But I took my FE last October and really prepared well for 2 months. I guess that helped and I was quiet confident that I have to just to revise all the topics.

First attempt - Electrical Power - Passed!

I had just passed the FE exam in July 2014 after my 4th attempt (3rd attempt was in May 2014). I had studied for that exam for nearly 7 months (after being out of school for 6 years). So after getting the passing grade in July, I decided to keep the ball rolling and start studying for the PE in August 2014. So after 8.5 months of continuous studying... and probably over 500+ hours, I took the PE exam in April 2015. I was relieved to see I passed on my first attempt. I know it seems like a lot of studying, and possibly over-preparing, but after I took the exam, I was not very confident that I passed (I guess it was just part of my coping process in case I failed - prepare myself mentally for the worst). I was extremely motivated and determined. I basically had tunnel vision about this exam for a year and a half now. Thankfully I never got burned out on the studying and I felt it was very rewarding in learning new things in the process. I feel much more confident as an engineer now and look forward to see what the future holds as a PE.

Major props to this forum for guiding me in the right direction as to which review course was the best, and which books were worth it. I got a lot of great info from fellow members of this board. I'll share more details of my studying methods in the electrical sub-forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

I had just passed the FE exam in July 2014 after my 4th attempt (3rd attempt was in May 2014). I had studied for that exam for nearly 7 months (after being out of school for 6 years). So after getting the passing grade in July, I decided to keep the ball rolling and start studying for the PE in August 2014. So after 8.5 months of continuous studying... and probably over 500+ hours, I took the PE exam in April 2015. I was relieved to see I passed on my first attempt. I know it seems like a lot of studying, and possibly over-preparing, but after I took the exam, I was not very confident that I passed (I guess it was just part of my coping process in case I failed - prepare myself mentally for the worst). I was extremely motivated and determined. I basically had tunnel vision about this exam for a year and a half now. Thankfully I never got burned out on the studying and I felt it was very rewarding in learning new things in the process. I feel much more confident as an engineer now and look forward to see what the future holds as a PE.

Major props to this forum for guiding me in the right direction as to which review course was the best, and which books were worth it. I got a lot of great info from fellow members of this board. I'll share more details of my studying methods in the electrical sub-forum.
Congratulations! For what it's worth I don't think you overstudied.

Passed -transportation. It hasn't sink in yet,but I sure it will by this weekend.

Congratulations! For what it's worth I don't think you overstudied.
Thank you! I took much of your advice from your posts. I really appreciate your contribution to this board!
It's amazing what a little moral support can do for your self esteem during the test.Congrats again!

Passed.

Civil - Geotechnical , 1st time taker,

Would recommend these for future test takers, the red ones really helped on this exam.

1. Das: Fundamentals of Geotechnical Engineering

2. Das: Principles of Foundation Engineering

3. Foundation Analysis and Design ; Joseph Bowles

4. Hsai Feng: Foundation Engineering Handbook

5. Civil Engineering Reference Manual

6. NAVFAC

7. FHWA – GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEERING CIRCULAR NO. 6

8. 6 Minutes solutions

9. PE Geotechnical Practice Problems by PPI

10. NCEES Sample Exam

Thanks EB! :D

Congrats...look at the bright side, you can still use some of the stuff you studied now :)

Welcome to the club fellow EE!

Passed too. Electrical Power, first try. I figured I had a 50/50 chance of passing when I came out of the exam. Probably the toughest test I've ever studied for. I'm so happy I don't have to study for it again.

Thanks to this board for helping me kill time while waiting for the results. And congrats to all who passed! Those who didn't stick with it, you can do it!

Passed - Civil/Transportation (1st attempt)

I'll say this now without fear of jinxing myself ..... that test was very easy, because I put the time in.

I took the EET AM/PM review courses. 90% of the exam came straight out of my class notes.

If you are on the fence about taking a review course, or which one to take, enroll in EET. Hands down, they made this exam EASY!!!

One last thing, and this was invaluable. Find someone (or 2 or 3 people) on here that are taking your test. Get their email and phone numbers, and use each other. I had an excellent network of fellow test takers that really helped with this thing. They may ask a question about something you may have never thought about, it will force you to find an answer. You also have someone to ask questions with, and to work problems with.

Back