closed book 2020

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the date for the masters is no longer valid.  They are going to encourage schools/states to beef up programs

I'm not a fan of the masters requirement, but it does sort of protect the PE in a way. Once I pass, I'm all for anything that makes it harder for other people to get the PE ;)  
Since I have a masters, I'm all for them requiring it in the future.  Just to keep out the rabble raise the bar.

I'm kind of tired of "engineer" being tacked on to any job description, sanitation engineer, (garbage man), operators and facility managers being "engineers". I'm always kinda looking at different jobs and industries and so often I look at a "mechanical engineer" position and it's just a tech position. I don't "need" my PE for my profession necessarily, but I need to to, in my opinion fulfill my education and become an "Engineer". Maybe that's just me.

That said, CU-Boulder where I went had a 5 year BS/MS program, I imagine it'll just be more common for engineers going forward to take the extra year in school. More money for the schools after all. 

I predict the PE will become computer based exam and will become easier in the future .

Results will also be out faster and the cutoff scores available .

I also feel the 8 hour time limit will come down .

Lot of the questions will become theory based and not require calculations . It will be more conceptual rather than formula based which is exactly how engineers work .

Tests will be held at work stations similar to the FE exam .

PE will also be held more often rather than just twice a year . And we will see lot more people getting their PE for better or worse.

Back