Class of April '11

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still slow answering problems

Some of the questions where no work is involved, just an answer

Electronics

We'll see not much I can do but continue to study and take the exam in 2 weeks

I'm taking the Power PE in Massachusetts on Friday! Been studying on and off for a little over two months. Three of us from my office actually reviewed the NCEES Practice Exam with each other over the course of a few weeks; it was helpful for me because they knew the NEC better than I do; I work with utilities. Took the FE and graduated with a BSEE in 2008 after going to night school; my first degree was a BA in Theatre.

I'm taking:

-Cameron, EERM 6th Edition (with lots of tabs)

-NEC 2008 Handbook (I find the commentary helpful)

-NCEES PE Handbook 8th Edition (to hopefully cover any random topics, like economics, that come up)

-Grainger, Stevenson Power System Analysis (recommended on this webpage)

-Faulkenberry, Coffer Electrical Power Distribution and Transmission (recommended by one of my colleagues)

-Wildi Electrical Machines, Drives and Power Systems (recommended by a colleague; has one of the best explanations of active vs. reactive power that I've ever seen)

-Glover, Sarma Power System Analysis and Design (Prof Sarma was my instructor at Northeastern; there are some good examples, but it's not an easy read)

-NCEES PE Power Sample Exam 2011 (I'm also creating seperate notes for each problem by cutting and taping each question with its answer and adding my own notes)

-NEMA Application Guide for ASD Systems (per a recommendation from this webpage)

-ANSI Device Number Chart (based on one question in the practice exam)

-The Contents and Introduction to the NESC (based on one question in the practice exam)

-A space calculator identical to my own (I bought it at Staples, and am not even going to take it out of the packaging, so I can return it if I don't need it)

-lunch

-snacks

-bottled water (or a jug)

-earplugs

-watch

-glasses

-ID

-approval letter

And a binder with my notes and other random articles that probably will just take up space. I'm taking a small wheeled suitcase to haul everything. I know I won't use everything I'm bringing, but I'd rather be prepared. And I'll probably still forget something.

Like many others, I'm 50/50; I still make stupid mistakes when practicing because I'm in a hurry.

My strategy for taking the exam:

-First round; read all questions, but skip any question that takes time or you're unsure. Answer questions that come quickly.

-Second round; look at the questions you skipped. Maybe a later question will have refreshed your memory of the answer. This is probably the point at which I'll consult the answers to the practice exam

-Third round (if time); answer any questions left that you can reduce to two answers (50/50 chance) and/or review the answers you've already given (not always a good idea, usually you end up second-guessing and get it wrong)

-Fourth round (last 5 minutes); guess any remaining (you've got a 25% chance)

I'm taking the Power PE in Massachusetts on Friday! Been studying on and off for a little over two months. Three of us from my office actually reviewed the NCEES Practice Exam with each other over the course of a few weeks; it was helpful for me because they knew the NEC better than I do; I work with utilities. Took the FE and graduated with a BSEE in 2008 after going to night school; my first degree was a BA in Theatre.
I'm taking:

-Cameron, EERM 6th Edition (with lots of tabs)

-NEC 2008 Handbook (I find the commentary helpful)

-NCEES PE Handbook 8th Edition (to hopefully cover any random topics, like economics, that come up)

-Grainger, Stevenson Power System Analysis (recommended on this webpage)

-Faulkenberry, Coffer Electrical Power Distribution and Transmission (recommended by one of my colleagues)

-Wildi Electrical Machines, Drives and Power Systems (recommended by a colleague; has one of the best explanations of active vs. reactive power that I've ever seen)

-Glover, Sarma Power System Analysis and Design (Prof Sarma was my instructor at Northeastern; there are some good examples, but it's not an easy read)

-NCEES PE Power Sample Exam 2011 (I'm also creating seperate notes for each problem by cutting and taping each question with its answer and adding my own notes)

-NEMA Application Guide for ASD Systems (per a recommendation from this webpage)

-ANSI Device Number Chart (based on one question in the practice exam)

-The Contents and Introduction to the NESC (based on one question in the practice exam)

-A space calculator identical to my own (I bought it at Staples, and am not even going to take it out of the packaging, so I can return it if I don't need it)

-lunch

-snacks

-bottled water (or a jug)

-earplugs

-watch

-glasses

-ID

-approval letter

And a binder with my notes and other random articles that probably will just take up space. I'm taking a small wheeled suitcase to haul everything. I know I won't use everything I'm bringing, but I'd rather be prepared. And I'll probably still forget something.

Like many others, I'm 50/50; I still make stupid mistakes when practicing because I'm in a hurry.

My strategy for taking the exam:

-First round; read all questions, but skip any question that takes time or you're unsure. Answer questions that come quickly.

-Second round; look at the questions you skipped. Maybe a later question will have refreshed your memory of the answer. This is probably the point at which I'll consult the answers to the practice exam

-Third round (if time); answer any questions left that you can reduce to two answers (50/50 chance) and/or review the answers you've already given (not always a good idea, usually you end up second-guessing and get it wrong)

-Fourth round (last 5 minutes); guess any remaining (you've got a 25% chance)
this point brings up a good point...

after ALL this studying, prep, pressure, wifey/gf/pets/boss/tsunamis, the actual test taking methods can help with that freak out and brainfreeze factor that some of us can get when you actually turn that first page

That being said, anybody feel like they have a good method for going through the questions?

In october, i went through all 40 questions and similar to how i sorted all the NCEES problems for my binder, just quick skimmed the question and jotted down on the problem which type/category i thought the problem was.

Took about 5 mins or so to go through all 40 and gave me a good sense of what content was on there. Then i went to my strengths (motors, phasors, etc.) and knocked those out first.

That way i could stay in the same mindset/mode, stay in one section of my binder (instead of flipping around) and sometimes you'll blank on one question but something from another one will help you remember something.

Dunno, just my plan, seemed to help but holler back with your methodology/plan for Friday

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Back