Class of April '11

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willsee

Reaction score
Well I just sent my stuff in to Illionis to sit for the April '11 exam

Who will be joining me this time?

First time sitting

Graduated BS - 2006, MEng - 2009...still don't have the experience requirements though.

Working at an MEP firm

Ordered:

Chelapati

Power System Analysis

and NCEES Practice Exam

Already feeling overwhelmed with where to start

Well I just sent my stuff in to Illionis to sit for the April '11 examWho will be joining me this time?

First time sitting

Graduated BS - 2006, MEng - 2009...still don't have the experience requirements though.

Working at an MEP firm

Ordered:

Chelapati

Power System Analysis

and NCEES Practice Exam

Well, to get an idea of your strong and weak areas, it may be beneficial to first start with the NCEES sample exam problems. This will also give you an idea of how the exam problems are formatted. Remember, you will have approximately 6 min. per problem during the actual exam. From there, try to study on and work more problems in weaker areas. The Chelapati book will come in handy for this. Even doing additional problems in the stronger areas will also help reinforce fundamental concepts. During your studies and working extra problems, it may also help to create a note sheet with fundamental concepts and equations (refer to the NCEES power exam topics). Continue to add to this sheet along the way. Tabbing your references to make finding topics in various chapters in my mind is also KEY. Based on what you ordered, you will also want to get a copy of NEC 2008 or 2011. There are some good discussions in this forum on good references. I used more than what you have listed but there are others who also used less. I guess it depends on what you are comfortable with. You may also want to get a book on electric machines and/or power fundamentals. And don't forget about engineering econ. Might be able to get all you need on that from old FE materials. Hope that helps. Good luck!

Well, to get an idea of your strong and weak areas, it may be beneficial to first start with the NCEES sample exam problems.
I disagree with this. I didn't even crack my NCEES practice exam until about 4 weeks before th exam. I used it as a 'dress rehearsal' for the real exam. Woke up early on a Saturday, and tried to mimic the time constraints and atmosphere of the actual exam. It's a good gauge of how prepared you are for the exam at a certain point in your studies. You can then spend the final weeks studying topics that you bombed on the practice exam.

I disagree with this. I didn't even crack my NCEES practice exam until about 4 weeks before th exam. I used it as a 'dress rehearsal' for the real exam. Woke up early on a Saturday, and tried to mimic the time constraints and atmosphere of the actual exam. It's a good gauge of how prepared you are for the exam at a certain point in your studies. You can then spend the final weeks studying topics that you bombed on the practice exam.
As I stated, it may be beneficial. I wasn't suggesting that this is how everyone should start out. It depends on your study habits. For me, I wanted to know right away where my weak points were so I thought the best way to accomplish this was to do a dry run through the exam. Finding out my weak points 4 weeks before the exam would not have been enough time for me to rectify (no pun intended) based on my study schedule. But I do agree that it is a good idea to do a trial run and mimic the actual exam. This helps to develop your technique and timing for the actual exam. I probably worked the sample exam problems 3 times over.

As I stated, it may be beneficial. I wasn't suggesting that this is how everyone should start out. It depends on your study habits. For me, I wanted to know right away where my weak points were so I thought the best way to accomplish this was to do a dry run through the exam. Finding out my weak points 4 weeks before the exam would not have been enough time for me to rectify (no pun intended) based on my study schedule. But I do agree that it is a good idea to do a trial run and mimic the actual exam. This helps to develop your technique and timing for the actual exam. I probably worked the sample exam problems 3 times over.
Understood. That's why I said "I disagree" instead of "you're wrong."

Well I just sent my stuff in to Illionis to sit for the April '11 examWho will be joining me this time?

First time sitting

Working at an MEP firm

Ordered:

Chelapati

Power System Analysis

and NCEES Practice Exam

I am official - I will be taking the PE in Tennessee. Graduated a LONG time before you so I opted to pay for the GA Tech review course. I still get overwhelmed at times. Hopefully (& prayerfully) we will pass :)

I just pased my FE in Oct, and plan to take the PE in Oct this year. April was a little bit too soon for me.

I have:

PPI Power Set

Chelapati Vol 1

NEC 2008

I plan on getting a master electrician book too. and maybe a book on power. Unfortunate I sold my books after graduation.... Good luck to us all!

I just pased my FE in Oct, and plan to take the PE in Oct this year. April was a little bit too soon for me.
I have:

PPI Power Set

Chelapati Vol 1

NEC 2008

I plan on getting a master electrician book too. and maybe a book on power. Unfortunate I sold my books after graduation.... Good luck to us all!
You need to buy the sample exam offered by NCEES. I have an extra brand new NCEES 2010 sample exam with blu cover. This came with with prep course. Email me at [email protected] if anyone want to buy.

Thanks.

I still feel like I need to add another book or two just debating what direction I want to go in.

I have some ebooks I'd like to print and bind but I don't think Illinois will allow it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got word that I will be taking the PE - Elec. Power here in VA on April.

I have an Electric Circuits book by Alexander/Sadiku

Chelapati book

NCEES Sample Exam

Plus reference materials from this site.

I am scheduled to take a prep course at ODU, it was a classroom course, but just got word today that the Professor will be unable to do a live course. So it's an online stream now. Oh well, any prep course is better than nothing.

Good luck all!

My boss just gave me a book "Introduction to electrical machines and transformers" by McPherson...I noticed no one else on here used this book.

I've only flipped through briefly but it should cover what I need...unless others think it would be wise to order Wildi or Chapman.

I'll be testing in April as well. I'll be using the following print materials.

Power system analysis book from school

Electrical Machines, Drives, and Power Systems by Wildi

Electric Machinery by Fitzgerald/Kingsley

NEC 2008 Handbook

Engineering Economics book from school

EC&M Electrical Calcualtions by Paschal

The Ethics and economics from the FE

Apart from that, I've got a 4" binder that has various on-line articles printed for easier reference. Finally, I'll have formula sheets, diagrams, and tables that I want to have quick access to bound, based on some reccomendations that I've gotten.

Hopefully it's enough without being too much.

I still feel like I need to add another book or two just debating what direction I want to go in.
I have some ebooks I'd like to print and bind but I don't think Illinois will allow it.

I believe you can if you print out the entire book and bind it. I was on the phone yesterday with Continental (IL testing center) and they are "allowing" as they are recognizing more books are coming out electronically. Call them if you have any questions. I get better response is phone rather than email. Called back in two days? Good luck!

I will be in the Cincinnati exam room in a few weeks and will be bringing:

Likely to use:

Grainger

Chelapati

EC&M Electrical Calcs

NEC (Standard Code book, not the handbook which I find too busy and congested and won't help in this exam.)

NCEES Sample Exam

My zonal cavity lighting calc sheets.

Circuit analysis notes

PU notes

Unlikely to use:

Wildi (Not familiar enough to use as a go to)

NESC (Haven't yet really looked at this yet. Will review the format in the week before the exam so that it is fresh and then pull it out in a pinch.)

PPI (generally crap)

Kaplan (also generally crap as a reference and emotionally crippling as a study aid)

Blackburn - Protective Relaying

NEMA VFD Application Guide

Beaty's Calcs Handbook (Never seriously opened it once in the 2+ years I've owned it but it can't hurt as a last resort I guess)

Mathematics Handbook for Science and Engineering (Yeah, probably totally unnecessary but it can sit on the floor and keep Beaty company)

HP calc manual for peace of mind

Casio calc manual for backup peace of mind

Here's what I don't have - concise formula sheets. I never used them in college but I always made them because it made me feel better. Unfortunately, I have been swamped at work and haven't been keeping up with the studying I was hoping to to let alone making sheets I probably won't use.

Anyone up for sharing their formula sheets for the upcoming exam or from past successes?

DB Mike - I feel your pain. I am swamped at work & feel very much behind where I want to be in my studying.

If anyone would be willing to share your quick reference sheets - PLEASE let me know!

I'm going in not at 100% confidence. Work has been busy (when isn't it) and life has been busy (again when isn't it)

Taking:

Chelapati

Power Systems Analysis

Motors and Transformers by Wiley

NEC 2008 Handbook

Economics Book

EPRM

I can't see the need for any other books really. I feel like these books cover 90% of what will be on the exam.

I feel kinda OK so far. I will be taking my Power PE for the first time this April. I have my undergraduate in Electrical Engineering, I'm half way through my master's in EE with a focus on Power. I've been working for a utility for about 5 years now.

Study Checklist

• NCEES Sample Exam: Worked three times so far and will probably do it 1 more time next week.
  • PPI Power Reference Manual: Read all the relevant chapters, worked the examples, highlighted the important formulas and tabbed.
  • PPI Practice Problems: Worked all relevant problems. (By relevant I mean I'm not wasting time working Op-Amp and Laplace transform problems just because they are there)
  • PPI Sample Exam: Did it last Saturday almost like a dress rehearsal. Took me about 5 hours and scored an 87. I still feel like the PPI sample exam was pretty weak. Too much emphasis on NEC, almost 30% of the problems were NEC problems and the rest seemed very basic, much more basic than the NCEES sample exam.
  • Kaplan Practice Problems: A friend of mine gave me his old Kaplan books. Worked all problems in the Power section, about 60 of them. Some of them are excellent, but overall it feels like it's too deep for the PE exam judging by the NCEES sample exam. I still feel like it's good practice.
  • Kaplan Sample Exam: Again some excellent problems but pretty deep. Made myself work through all of them. Some pretty bad typos here lol.
  • Reviewed grad school power classes notes and examples.
  • Took a PPI Power review course (32 hours) that I didn't find very useful at all. One benefit of the class is that the instructor gave us another 60 problem set that is not found anywhere else and some of the those problems are very good. Worked them twice.
  • Worked the PPI problems of the week that are available on their Passing Zone. Some of them are pretty good, there are about 50 of them total. Passing zone is not terribly useful either.
  • Overall, I probably worked approximately 500 problems so far. To help me keep up with what problems cover what topic in case I need to review a problem on the exam, I have created a comprehensive problem index that lists all those 500 problems and where I can find them, what topic they cover and I even rated them from 1-5 to help me narrow down what I want to rework before the test.
  • Created my formula sheet with the basic stuff but I am finding myself refer to it less and less often. The more complex formulas I can easily find in the PPI Power Reference book.
  • Skimmed over the NEC 2008 book briefly and tabbed out all the articles so I can find them easier.
  • Skimmed over the Uglies book and tabbed out the main tables. I have been using Uglies to work most NEC problems I come across unless it's a problem about grounding a wet bar next to a swimming pool inside a circus tent or something.
  • Read and printed out Wikipedia on induction motors just for an extra reference. The PPI Power Reference Manual is not great here.
  • Read and printed out a pretty good power electronics tutorial that Cableguy posted earlier.
  • Worked about 30 economics problems from my FE prep course with Testmasters which was an excellent prep course.

Exam References

• Gross Power Book
  • Fitzgerald Machinery Book
  • PPI Power Reference Manual, Sample Exam Book, Practice Problem Book, Class Handouts
  • Kaplan Reference Manual, Sample Exam Book, Practice Problem Book'
  • 2008 NEC
  • Latest Uglies
  • My personal reference binder which will have: Formula sheet, grad school notes, Wikipedia and online resources printouts, problem index, ANSI device number list, PLC symbols, integration tables, econ tables, worked econ problems, Casio manual, VFD paper.
  • Protective Relaying Notes: (Took a class at work and the notes were very good)
  • Symmetrical Components Notes: (Took a class at work and the notes were very good)

Think that's it :D

Any feedback please? Am I missing something I need to bring with me or work on? Thanks!

Good luck to everyone!

Edit: Fixed spacing between list items.

Feeling 50/50 on the test

Going to take the prac exam again this weekend...I just need to slow myself down on reading the problem and solving what they are asking for

Back