CIVIL TRANSPORTATION DEPTH

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
51 will pass no matter what. I think he wanted you to believe 51 but it is a little less. :read: Did you see his breakdown?

Then I see trouble coming. My instructor said 48/80 and I studied for 48-50/80. :duhh: :wait

If you look on one of the old posts from the last test, someone got 53 in environmental and still didn't pass. It is really all up to the NCEES gods.

If you look on one of the old posts from the last test, someone got 53 in environmental and still didn't pass.  It is really all up to the NCEES gods.
if I scored 53 and failed, I think I would try and chop someone's head off....

How much have you spent on trying to pass this test? Me personally, I'm looking at somewhere b/t $1100 - $1200 and that is without any review courses....

And with a newborn on the way, I need to pass soon!!!!

ktulu

The enviro test is 100 questions not 80 if I understand things correctly. I hope I am right anyway, because that would really suck to get 53 of 80 and not pass.

But I don't think I will be comfortable going into the April exam with out shooting for 56 of 80 in practice exams. Talk about stressful.

If you look on one of the old posts from the last test, someone got 53 in environmental and still didn't pass.  It is really all up to the NCEES gods.
Actually, it was a few years ago ;) I remember that failing notice like it was yesterday ..... :hung: :true:

I would try not to get too obsessed over the raw numbers - strive to make the best score possible, not the threshold to pass. I took that approach for the first three times and scored scaled 69 two of those times with just a 'fail' for the third time :brick: . The fourth time I put boot-to-ass :dsgt: and finally knocked it out. :???:

Those diagnostic reports really don't have a lot of utility, but try to use what little information they provide to try to improve your exam performance. Also think about the 'types' of problems you encountered during the exam:

- maybe it was unit conversions

- a different way a problem was worded

- maybe even missing information

- perhaps a diagram or data you weren't familiar with

Take those things you found difficult and turn them into focal points as you prepare for the next exam.

Best of luck in those preparations!

Regards,

JR

If you look on one of the old posts from the last test, someone got 53 in environmental and still didn't pass.? It is really all up to the NCEES gods.

How much have you spent on trying to pass this test? Me personally, I'm looking at somewhere b/t $1100 - $1200 and that is without any review courses....

And with a newborn on the way, I need to pass soon!!!!

ktulu
ktulu,

Babies make it tougher but certainly not impossible. I have 4 kids, 7,5, and 10mo. old twins at the moment and I managed to pass the Oct. exam. The twins were 5mo. old when I started my 3 months of studying. I went into the office at 4:30-5:00am each morning before starting work at 8:00. You just need a really supportive wife that understands the importance of your studying. Keep your chin up and bust it out. If you put forth the effort you can conquer the exam!

:study :study :study :study :drunk: :beerchug :mail: :read:

ktulu --

Actually, I filed a petition in administrative court because my State's Rules at the time specified that 48/80 = 70 = Pass. :true:

I ended up dropping the petition because I did not want to be the Engineer who got a license without 'really' passing the exam. Two tries later I finally nailed it.

I noted the frustration in some of your other posts - I can empathize. Missing by one-point twice and then feeling like I was cheated out of a license I almost went into self-destruction mode. :true: I realized that if I did that - then this infuriating process would have achieved another victim instead of another worthy candidate obtaining a license.

You are doing it right - you are asking questions and starting to put things together. You are trying to establish a realistic schedule with realization that there are 'things' that will take you off-schedule.

I would re-emphasize Sapper's advice about reducing your stress - stress will KILL your chances of passing. I would only add to that advice to limit your study sessions to no more than 3-hr blocks. In 3-hrs you afford yourself enough time to get immersed in the material, but not to the point to where retention falls off. You also have less tendency to spend too much time on one thing and the people around you don't feel completely cut off from you. :)

Best of luck - if you have questions please feel free to ask away.

Regards,

JR

Thanks JR-

This is the main reason why I think this site is invaluable. The people here have been all the way around the block via multiple directions, and can help the "lost" ones to the finish line.....

Seems like most could use a boost in Structures. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! Send me a PM or what ever. I'll gladly help.

It really helped me to take an old statics book and the steel manual into the exam for the AM session, beam charts, truss examples, max shear / moment forumals for each type of beam, etc, etc, etc,

I'll check my statics book tonight. Not sure who the wrote it.

But, the steel manual is also handy if you have access to one. I wouldn't buy it if I didn't need it.

Really, the CERM gives a good general overview of simple beams, statics, etc.

But, :"the other board":

FAILED :(

BREADTH

environmental 50

geotechnical 25

structural 75

transportation 50

water resources 88

DEPTH

traffic analysis 40

transportation planning/construction 57

geometric design/traffic safety 44

geotechnical 50

water resources 50

jkopsu,

Looks pretty well balanced. With a little more :study you should be able to nail this thing.

Trans breakdown

BR ENV- 75%

BR Geo- 63%

BR Str- 75%

BR Trans- 63 %

BR WR- 75%

Tran anal-60 %

Trans Plan- 43 %

Geo/Design- 56%

Geotech- 50%

WR- 75 %

Equals fail

Code:
TRANSPO TRANSPO TRANSPO TRANSPO TRANSPO TRANSPO TRANSPO TRANSPO TRANSPO TRANSPO TRANSPO 							
		Approx %	Approx # probs	Approx # correct	Weighted avg.		
ENV	75%	20.00%	8.00	6.00	15.00%		2.00
GEO	63%	20.00%	8.00	5.04	12.60%		2.96
STR	75%	20.00%	8.00	6.00	15.00%		2.00
TRAN	63%	20.00%	8.00	5.04	12.60%		2.96
WR	75%	20.00%	8.00	6.00	15.00%		2.00
Morning total correct				28.08	70.20%		11.92
		Approx %					
Trans Anal	63%	33.00%	8.67	5.46	20.79%		3.21
Trans Plan	63%	33.00%	8.67	5.46	20.79%		3.21
Geo/Design	33%	33.00%	8.67	2.86	10.89%		5.81

Trans Average	53%	65.00%	26.00	13.78	34.45%		12.22

Geo	50%	15.00%	10.00	5.00	7.50%		5.00
WR	75%	20.00%	4.00	3.00	15.00%		1.00

OVERALL PM SUMMARY				21.78	56.95%		18.22

OVERALL TEST SUMMARY				49.86	63.58%

Trans breakdown
BR ENV- 75%

BR Geo- 63%

BR Str- 75%

BR Trans- 63 %

BR WR- 75%

Tran anal-60 %

Trans Plan- 43 %

Geo/Design- 56%

Geotech- 50%

WR- 75 %

Equals fail
I agree with Tom's analysis for the AM - you made a 28.

I think for the PM, though, you made a 23. Using the NCEES spec and your numbers, you obviously got 3/6 for Geotech and 6/8 for WR. To figure out the other 3, you know that the total number of questions equal 26 (65% of 40), so you made:

Tran anal - either 3/5, 6/10, 9/15 or 12/20 (all are 60%)

Tran Plan - either 3/7, 6/14, or 9/21 (all are 43%)

Geo/Design - either 5/9 or 10/18 (all are 56%)

For geo/design, if you made 10/18 you would only have 8 questions between the other two and there is no combo of 8, so for geo/design you made 5/9.

That means for the other two, you have to have a combo of 17 questions and the only available combo is 6/10 for tran anal and 3/7 for tran plan, so for the afternoon you made:

Tran anal-60 % 6/10

Trans Plan- 43 % 3/7

Geo/Design- 56% 5/9

Geotech- 50% 3/6

WR- 75 % 6/8

for a total of 23 in the PM and a 51 for a total on the entire exam. I think that's the highest we've seen without passing, so the cut score must have been 52. I'm sure you'll get it next time - good luck!

Latest posts

Back