Civil Engineering Dictionary

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrf500

Reaction score
Anybody have thoughts as to how beneficial it is to have a Civil Engineering dictionary along for the PE Exam (Construction Module)? I've read a few posts where some say they were nice to have, but in reading most people's list of references...I don't see an engineering dictionary mentinoed very often.

If anybody replies saying it was great to have one along, would you mention a name of one that was good?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Anybody have thoughts as to how beneficial it is to have a Civil Engineering dictionary along for the PE Exam (Construction Module)? I've read a few posts where some say they were nice to have, but in reading most people's list of references...I don't see an engineering dictionary mentinoed very often.
If anybody replies saying it was great to have one along, would you mention a name of one that was good?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

I bought one and brought it along but never used it. It makes a good book case filler now!

I brought in a regular dictionary and used it twice. Both times were just to verify the word they used was what i thought it was.

An engineering dictionary can run you quite a bit, but I would recommend to bring in a regular one at the very least just incase they use a word you're unfamiliar with.

I will be bringing mine to my repeat test on construction PE exam. We are not to go into particulars, but I have a good feeling about bringing it.

Do any libraries carry Civil Engineering dictionaries? I recall a few times on the last test where it would have come in handy instead of searching through the CERM for 5-10 minutes for a simple word problem. I don't really want to buy one.

Just make sure to check with your state if they are allowed. IL does not allow dictionaries of ANY kind into the test room.

Found a Means Construction Dictionary at work. Was wondering about the definition of a pile bent when I saw it in a practice problem. Found the definition in Means, so I will bring it in case a similar term shows up on an actual exam problem.

Back