Civil Construction PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am interested in the material you have for PE Construction PM. Please send me the detail name list of the books you have at [email protected]. Thanks..............

Construction PE in VA, Passed on first try

:drunk:
How was the construction depth when you took the exam. Do I need so many codes. I am a certified construction manager and I have PMP and has been doing engineering inspections for so many years. Somebody told me that construction depth is difficult. Is that true?

Sam
I wouldn't say very difficult- but multi-step with lots of contributing parts (i.e. a efficiency problem that involves both engineering economics and material or equipment selection). I finished with 90 minutes to spare on the afternoon, but took every last minute in the morning. I failed my first attempt last year, btu passed this spring with some additional resources that really helped-

Civil Engineering All-In-One PE Exam Guide: Breadth and Depth by Indranil Goswami was wonderful

and Construction Methods and Management (7th Edition) by Stephens W. Nunnally was very helpful in the afternoon portion- I would definitely recommend them both (actually I'll be selling both used along with all of my other construction resource books after I settle into my new house next week if anyone is interested.) The Rawan book is good- but Nunnally was a much more complete resource even though it isn't designed for the PE exam. Some examples in the book looked almost identical to problems in the PM portion of the Civil Construction PE.
Sure- I'll post them both in the yard sale section of this site and the construction specific as soon as I get them out of the boxes. I found out that I passed after everything was packed up for the move. I know that I have Bob's rigging handbook, CERM 11th edition, OSHA, Nunnally, Rawan, Goswami, a civil engineering dictionary, all of the 6 minute solutions and a ton of other stuff- I kind of figured after a close fail last year that I wasn't going to let a lack of a resource keep me from a pass the second time around!

How was the construction depth when you took the exam. Do I need so many codes. I am a certified construction manager and I have PMP and has been doing engineering inspections for so many years. Somebody told me that construction depth is difficult. Is that true?

Sam
I wouldn't say very difficult- but multi-step with lots of contributing parts (i.e. a efficiency problem that involves both engineering economics and material or equipment selection). I finished with 90 minutes to spare on the afternoon, but took every last minute in the morning. I failed my first attempt last year, btu passed this spring with some additional resources that really helped-

Civil Engineering All-In-One PE Exam Guide: Breadth and Depth by Indranil Goswami was wonderful

and Construction Methods and Management (7th Edition) by Stephens W. Nunnally was very helpful in the afternoon portion- I would definitely recommend them both (actually I'll be selling both used along with all of my other construction resource books after I settle into my new house next week if anyone is interested.) The Rawan book is good- but Nunnally was a much more complete resource even though it isn't designed for the PE exam. Some examples in the book looked almost identical to problems in the PM portion of the Civil Construction PE.

You said the All in one textbook was helpful. Was the book helpful for both the morning and afternoon session? Approx. how many questions were you able to answer using the textbook?

Sam

You said the All in one textbook was helpful. Was the book helpful for both the morning and afternoon session? Approx. how many questions were you able to answer using the textbook?

Sam

both morning and afternoon- I would guess between 8-10 questions it was helpful for.. almost identical examples for 2-3

I have purchased the All-in-one guide as well and hope it helps during the exam. I have the CERM but this book seems to be easier to follow.

I have purchased the All-in-one guide as well and hope it helps during the exam. I have the CERM but this book seems to be easier to follow.

How do you find the All-in-one guide? I like it more than CERM. It is more precise and easy to follow. I want to hope it contains what we need to know on all the topics for the PE exam.

Please let me have your comments about which of the textbooks you think is better for the exam revision.

How do you find the All-in-one guide? I like it more than CERM. It is more precise and easy to follow. I want to hope it contains what we need to know on all the topics for the PE exam.

Please let me have your comments about which of the textbooks you think is better for the exam revision.
Obviously CERM is the best reference. You can't compare apples with oranges.

Sam

I have purchased All-in-one PE Exam Guide. Infact, I am concentrating more on reading the book and just using CERM as a suppoting note. The reason is that, the former is more concise, smaller and more direct. Do you think I am havingthe right approach?

A former examinee, said he used the All-in-one book to solve about 75% of the problems both for the afternoon and morning. With your experience, do you think the book is that good?

What other advise do you have for those of us who want to take construction module?

Sam

Sam

I have purchased All-in-one PE Exam Guide. Infact, I am concentrating more on reading the book and just using CERM as a suppoting note. The reason is that, the former is more concise, smaller and more direct. Do you think I am havingthe right approach?

A former examinee, said he used the All-in-one book to solve about 75% of the problems both for the afternoon and morning. With your experience, do you think the book is that good?

What other advise do you have for those of us who want to take construction module?

Sam

I have purchased All-in-one PE Exam Guide. Infact, I am concentrating more on reading the book and just using CERM as a suppoting note. The reason is that, the former is more concise, smaller and more direct. Do you think I am havingthe right approach?A former examinee, said he used the All-in-one book to solve about 75% of the problems both for the afternoon and morning. With your experience, do you think the book is that good?

Sam
Just make sure you don't just READ. The key to success is to do a lot of problem solving - problem types of sufficient variety that resemble typical PE questions, and use your review book(s) as support.

I have not seen the book but I would find it hard to believe that an all in one book could be detailed enough for most people to pass the exam. CERM covers the topics but also lacks detail needed for the afternoon. First you really need OSHA, they will ask question that need to be looked up for the OSHA manual, Second you need the ACI documents, they will ask specific questions from these references, and you need a very detailed knowledge of CPM, there are alot of very detailed questions.

Each person is different and your individual experiece will determine what references you will need. Someone with alot of constrution and project management experience may need much less. Compare your current books to the NCEES outline and to the sample exams to determine if more references are needed.

I have taken the Construction module twice. Both times I did fine in the morning, but have bombed the afternoon. My weak spots have been identified as the CPM networks, Geotech and the absolutely odd-ball OSHA questions....

I took the Construction portion in the Falll (2008). I have not heard back yet.
I was very book heavy in the exam, I had all of the reference materials listed plus most of my college texts/notes. I used most of them. I was very nice to have the answers for some of the questions dealing with code/regulations right in the books.

I do have some ideas based on my experience on how to improve the available study materials. I am not sure I will post them here though due to the ethic statement we signed saying not to disclose the exam questions/topics. I will think about that some more, maybe after Christmas some time.

I will update when I get my results back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took the Construction depth....and I am one of those who passed.

This was not my first time taking the construction depth. I had difficulty in the passed preparing for the various topics covered under construction. I must say that the new NCEES study guide for the Construction depth helped me prepare for a good portion of the problems I saw. I would recommend purchasing this guide for those looking to take the construction depth.

I took the Construction depth....and I am one of those who passed.
This was not my first time taking the construction depth. I had difficulty in the passed preparing for the various topics covered under construction. I must say that the new NCEES study guide for the Construction depth helped me prepare for a good portion of the problems I saw. I would recommend purchasing this guide for those looking to take the construction depth.
Congrats on passing exam... I went to NCEES website and they have sample questions for construction module but no study guide.... Were you referring to Construction Sample Questions and Solutions on NCEES?

I was unsuccessful in passing the PE exam in April. I too took the Construction afternoon portion and was not prepared at all. The morning session went fairly well; however, I completely failed the afternoon. I have vast experience in vertical construction (hospitals, schools) and now public works. Are there any resources you can suggest that could help me better prepare for the afternoon session in Construction? Thanks so much.

C. Lynn

I just wanted to see how many people took the Construction depth and passed. Most of the people I've seen with passing letters are for WR/ENV, and not too many others.
I was successful in passing the Construction depth, anyone else?

Edit: Could a mod or admin move this to the Construction section. My apologies for posting in the wrong forum.

April '11 was the first time I took Construction PM exam module and Passed. I did not prepare either. I bought the construction module book written by Ruwan Rajapaksa and went through it page by page every one of them. I bought the book two weeks before the exam. The questions in the exam were similar to his sample problems and was useful. Try to understand the concept from this book and don't rely on the exact questions. The content of the book was good but it is not well organized. But it was useful and it helped me pass the exam. Also take the OSHA book for reference. There were a couple of questions in the exam whose answers were straight from it. Good Luck.

I was unsuccessful in passing the PE exam in April. I too took the Construction afternoon portion and was not prepared at all. The morning session went fairly well; however, I completely failed the afternoon. I have vast experience in vertical construction (hospitals, schools) and now public works. Are there any resources you can suggest that could help me better prepare for the afternoon session in Construction? Thanks so much.C. Lynn

I just wanted to see how many people took the Construction depth and passed. Most of the people I've seen with passing letters are for WR/ENV, and not too many others.
I was successful in passing the Construction depth, anyone else?

Edit: Could a mod or admin move this to the Construction section. My apologies for posting in the wrong forum.

I will be taking the Construction depth PE exam in October 2015. I am not able to find any good review book for the construction depth exam. I have already bought the CERM 14th edition but doesnt look like it covers the construction depth completely. I am able to find alot of practice problem books for the construction depth but no review books. Can you please suggest any must have book which can prepare me for the construction depth exam?

Back