Chat with NCEES

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FE have more people taking the exam, take on Saturday (which is one day later than the PE), and more questions than the PE. I don't know why the FE have result even faster than the PE???
My theory for the FE/EIT results being released sooner than the PE results is because all the FE candidates had the same questions for the Morning exam, which makes it easier for NCEES to verify and grade fast for all candidates. As for the Afternoon section however, your guess is as good as mine as how they are able to grade those fast, given that many people opt out for a specific engineering specialty of their choice. Still however, they only have to grade 40 questions for each Afternoon section specialty took, and there are only seven specialty options for the Afternoon section for each FE candidate (counting General as well.)

As for PE examinations, each candidate is tested on their own specialization of choice, and there are 23 specialty options available for the exam (counting all the sub-disciplines for Civil, Mechanical, and Electrical as well.) That is more than three times the exam specialties that NCEES has to grade and verify compared to the Afternoon FE exam. And not to mention that they have to grade 80 to 100 questions (depending on the discipline took) for each specialty, you can clearly see NCEES has their work cut out for them regarding PE examination results. It doesn't matter how much more or less PE exam candidates there are compared to FE candidates, as the results are likely graded en masse for each specialty anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do they do the same type of grading for the SAT exam? What if this type of grading/equating procedure was done for all my college classes. I would still be waiting to see if I graduted. Leave it to the engineering type of folks to make something really complicated. The fact that they have to hire "experienced psychometricians" should be an indicator that process is screwed up.

We need to make this process simple for stupid. Make it 70% of the answers correct to pass. Then we will at least know what needs to be accomplished.

BTW: how long do you think it would take to get the results for a licensed psychometricians exam? 5, maybe 6 years?

Back