Chart Recorder

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfusilloPE

Reaction score
I have a client who is a small PWS (basically they service their resort with treated water produced from ground water wells).

I am performing a capacity analysis report for them, and one of my recommendations is to install a data logger/chart recorder.

Max day production capacity is 195,000 gallons, and the operator that they are using is logging meter readings in at greater than a 24-hour period (which is causing my client to be over the rated capacity of their plant). I have normalized the data based upon a 24-hour day, and found that all instances where my client was out of compliance is now compliant.

So, with that being siad, I am looking for some type of data logger/chart recorder that can produce a 24 hour log. I know that many facilities use a typical chart recorder, but someone has to make the charts with the 24-hour read. Is there a recorder out there that say will record a 24 hour period and store any additional hour readings in memory. I guess what I am getting at is, I want to have hard copy data based soley upon a 24-hour period, so when the chart paper is changed after the initial 24-hour period, the first chart will only show day 1 and then once the chart paper is changed the next day, it will record what was produced for day 2 only and so on?

I hope this makes sense, because it is definitely easier to talk about than to write about.

Anyway, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have a client who is a small PWS (basically they service their resort with treated water produced from ground water wells).
I am performing a capacity analysis report for them, and one of my recommendations is to install a data logger/chart recorder.

Max day production capacity is 195,000 gallons, and the operator that they are using is logging meter readings in at greater than a 24-hour period (which is causing my client to be over the rated capacity of their plant). I have normalized the data based upon a 24-hour day, and found that all instances where my client was out of compliance is now compliant.

So, with that being siad, I am looking for some type of data logger/chart recorder that can produce a 24 hour log. I know that many facilities use a typical chart recorder, but someone has to make the charts with the 24-hour read. Is there a recorder out there that say will record a 24 hour period and store any additional hour readings in memory. I guess what I am getting at is, I want to have hard copy data based soley upon a 24-hour period, so when the chart paper is changed after the initial 24-hour period, the first chart will only show day 1 and then once the chart paper is changed the next day, it will record what was produced for day 2 only and so on?

I hope this makes sense, because it is definitely easier to talk about than to write about.

Anyway, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
jfusillo:

are you measuring flow?

I'm kind of confused. If you get logged/digitized data at hourly intervals you can create and report for what ever hourly interval you want.

If you're looking for 24 hour plots. You might check out Dickson. They may circular recorders for a variety of inputs that can be set for 1 rev = xx hours. This will supply your hard copy. Just tap the didgitized output signal (voltage, 4-20mA, etc.) and feed it to the recorder

Dickson chart recorders

hope this helps.

^^Yes, we are measuring flow. The plant has an hourly meter for pump runs, and a flow meter for produced water. The agency is worried that there may be some "fudging of the numbers" in the reports since we found that the operator was reporting the data incorrectly. (The operator would log run times, sometimes as much as 30-hour intervals, and reporting that data as daily produced water).

So, during discussions with the agency for our recommendations, the agency would like to be able to see some "tangible" data.

I looked at the Dickson recorders, and they seem to be for temp and humidity.

^^Yes, we are measuring flow. The plant has an hourly meter for pump runs, and a flow meter for produced water. The agency is worried that there may be some "fudging of the numbers" in the reports since we found that the operator was reporting the data incorrectly. (The operator would log run times, sometimes as much as 30-hour intervals, and reporting that data as daily produced water).
So, during discussions with the agency for our recommendations, the agency would like to be able to see some "tangible" data.

I looked at the Dickson recorders, and they seem to be for temp and humidity.
Universal recorder

Understood

This model takes a variety of input types.

You'd need to know the output of the existing flow meter to tap into its signal (or install a new independent measuring device).

Note that Dickson also sells a small datalogger so that the the data is written to memory as opposed to being "drawn" on a chart.

There's a lot of manufacturers of these around. We've used Dicksons for a while and have had good luck with them.

Universal recorder
Understood

This model takes a variety of input types.

You'd need to know the output of the existing flow meter to tap into its signal (or install a new independent measuring device).

Note that Dickson also sells a small datalogger so that the the data is written to memory as opposed to being "drawn" on a chart.

There's a lot of manufacturers of these around. We've used Dicksons for a while and have had good luck with them.
I found a Fugi Electric PHE strip chart recorder that I think will do the job. Thanks for your input!

I found a Fugi Electric PHE strip chart recorder that I think will do the job. Thanks for your input!
anytime.

Are you installing permanently or temproarily to prove a point. I looked up the PHE. At a $1000 it's pretty expensive for something that doesn't even provide a digital text file of the data. If you ever want to post-process data it's a manual transcription effort. As is very common in industrial processes this technology is antiquated. Just my two cents worth.

FWIW: Affter this initial need is satisfied, it has been my experience that there is no regular maintenance (chart/paper replacement) on these units and they just fade into oblivion. If you're going through the effort I'd strongly recommend getting a data logger that will store your values for download with an output to a strip if you want the hard copy. You might consider renting a strip chart recorder if its only for a couple of months.

I'm with a structrual consulting company and we do a fair amount of investigative monitoring.

Back