Changing direction

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geypo

Reaction score
Hello all,

I work in the public sector doing design and plan review. I recently took the PE exam and currently looking to change direction in my professional career.

I’d like to know what would be the best or smoothest way I can prepare myself to transition into the structural industry while I keep on working in my current job.

(I.e. school classes, part time job, etc.) I have no prior structural experience.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

^^^ I think you need to take an honest and objective look at your work experience. While you may have a P.E. in hand, you aren't going to go very far impressing potential employers by saying I have 'no' structural work experience.

So, the first very big task you have before you is objectively qualifying your work experience and seeing how it parlays into a skill set that is needed in the private sector.

I am emphasizing that because I too work for the gubmet and found that while I have advanced education, many years of experience, AND a P.E. license those factors didn't seem to generate a lot of interest because I wasn't marketing myself correctly. Now that I have done better is representing myself (WITHOUT STRETCHING THE TRUTH) I am finally getting some interest.

Long story short - spend some time cleaning up your resume and think abouthow you are going to sell yourself. Think about the kind of job you would like to have and whether or not it is a job you can move directly into or need to work your way through some intermediary steps. Also consider what your limitations might be - not just education/experience wise - like travel restrictions, time restrictions, family committments, etc.

While you can strive to obtain more education or additional certifications, I think those items are nice to use to polish yourself into specific jobs. It sounds like you need the opportunity to get some hands on in the field and more education/certifications aren't necessarily going to get you there. Not just yet - so keep your eye on opportunity.

Best of luck with your job search! Don't get discouraged if it takes you some months to find something new. I was once told that on average it will take about six months to find that next job. For me it is taking a bit longer because I haven't yet fully committed to the transition but once I do there will be a place to go. :)

:2cents:

JR

Like JR said DON'T STRETCH THE TRUTH on your resume.

Classes won't hurt, but seminars are ok too.

To be honest though, I learned a good chunk of what I know of structural engineering from practicing it. Starting in at the ground floor at a place won't be too bad, but having a PE already might make it tough to do.

Good luck!

Back