Career burnout

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been there, too. And for what it's worth, BIO, we've been married over 27 years and there are still times that we live week to week. Kid in college and trying to provide everything to everybody. I know it will be better sometime, but if I knew I would never have a good life (not just defined by money) because of where I am, I'd consider moving. I've had 2 horrible times in my career, both because of horrible managers. Each in his own way made my life miserable. There were days that I hated going to work, but friends, co-workers, and a supportive husband got me through. One of the best "tricks" I ever used was to sing or hum "Zip-a-dee-Do-Da" softly or in my head. I had to realize that I was in control of my attitude. I could choose to be happy, or I could be miserable.

Juggling

Imagine life is a game in which you are juggling five balls. The balls are called work, family, health, friends and integrity. And you're keeping all of them in the air. But one day you finally come to understand that work is a rubber ball. If you drop it, it will bounce back.

The other four balls--family, health, friends, integrity--are made of glass. If you drop one of these, it will be irrevocably scuffed, nicked, perhaps even shattered. And once you truly understand the lesson of the five balls, you will have the beginnings of balance in your life.

James Patterson

Juggling
Imagine life is a game in which you are juggling five balls. The balls are called work, family, health, friends and integrity. And you're keeping all of them in the air. But one day you finally come to understand that work is a rubber ball. If you drop it, it will bounce back.

The other four balls--family, health, friends, integrity--are made of glass. If you drop one of these, it will be irrevocably scuffed, nicked, perhaps even shattered. And once you truly understand the lesson of the five balls, you will have the beginnings of balance in your life.

James Patterson
That is deeeeeeeeep

Thanks Mary

I remembered this story from what Mary said. May be some of us have read it, but I like to read it often... Here it goes.

One day, an old professor of the School of Public Management in France, was invited to lecture on the topic of “Efficient Time Management” in front of a group of 15 executive managers representing the largest, most successful companies in America. The lecture was one in a series of 5 lectures conducted in one day, and the old professor was given 1 hr to lecture.

Standing in front of this group of elite managers, who were willing to write down every word that would come out of the famous professor’s mouth, the professor slowly met eyes with each manager, one by one, and finally said, “we are going to conduct an experiment”.

From under the table that stood between the professor and the listeners, the professor pulled out a big glass jar and gently placed it in front of him. Next, he pulled out from under the table a bag of stones, each the size of a tennis ball, and placed the stones one by one in the jar. He did so until there was no room to add another stone in the jar. Lifting his gaze to the managers, the professor asked, “Is the jar full?” The managers replied, “Yes”.

The professor paused for a moment, and replied, “Really?”

Once again, he reached under the table and pulled out a bag full of pebbles. Carefully, the professor poured the pebbles in and slightly rattled the jar, allowing the pebbles to slip through the larger stones, until they settled at the bottom. Again, the professor lifted his gaze to his audience and asked, “Is the jar full?”

At this point, the managers began to understand his intentions. One replied, “apparently not!”

“Correct”, replied the old professor, now pulling out a bag of sand from under the table. Cautiously, the professor poured the sand into the jar. The sand filled up the spaces between the stones and the pebbles.

Yet again, the professor asked, “Is the jar full?”

Without hesitation, the entire group of students replied in unison, “NO!”

“Correct”, replied the professor. And as was expected by the students, the professor reached for the pitcher of water that was on the table, and poured water in the jar until it was absolutely full. The professor now lifted his gaze once again and asked, “What great truth can we surmise from this experiment?”

With his thoughts on the lecture topic, one manager quickly replied, “We learn that as full as our schedules may appear, if we only increase our effort, it is always possible to add more meetings and tasks.”

“No”, replied the professor. The great truth that we can conclude from this experiment is:

If we don’t put all the larger stones in the jar first, we will never be able to fit all of them later.

The auditorium fell silent, as every manager processed the significance of the professor’s words in their entirety.

The old professor continued, “What are the large stones in your life? Health? Family? Friends? Your goals? Doing what you love? Fighting for a Cause? Taking time for yourself?”

What we must remember is that it is most important to include the lager stones in our lives, because if we don’t do so, we are likely to miss out on life altogether. If we give priority to the smaller things in life (pebbles & sand), our lives will be filled up with less important things, leaving little or no time for the things in our lives that are most important to us. Because of this, never forget to ask yourself,

What are the Large Stones in your Life?

And once you identify them, be sure to put them first in your “Jar of Life”.

With a warm wave of his hand, the professor bid farewell to the managers, and slowly walked out of the room.

Take care of the large stones first - the things that REALLY matter. Set your priorities. The rest are just pebbles and sand. If you put the sand or the pebbles into the jar first, there will be no room left for the stones.

The same goes for your life. If you spend all your energy and time on the small stuff, you will never have room for things that are truly most important.

Pay attention to the things that are critical in your life. Take time to play with your children. Take your partner out for dinner. Take time to have a chat with your loved ones. There will always be time to go to work, clean the house and give a dinner party.

Sometimes the less important things in life can distract us, filling up our time and keeping us away from what really matters. I encourage you to take a moment and ask yourself, is your jar of life full of sand & pebbles or is it filled with large stones?

What are you talking about? Your like one of the Sesame Street Monsters. You look the same now as you did in 1970. You forgot you are a puppet!
Oh, yeah!!! Marionettes don't get older. Maybe I can still decide what I want to be when I grow up.

I too am at a point where I am feeling burned out professionally. I've been working since 2001; first as a military civil engineer and now for a local government (county). I can't believe that I've been in the professional workforce for seven years! Anyway, I have failed to get excited about work over six months now...it seems like it's just the same old stuff day in and out. I've managed to find some fulfillment outside of work as a performance/social salsa dancer and I love it. But the nagging question in the back of my mind is: shouldn't I have a similar passion for my daytime job? I feel like the only reason I feel I'm doing this CE stuff is to finance my dance addiction.

I wish there was some way I could do the salsa thing full time, but the market is glutted with instructors in the Bay Area.

In any case, I'm grateful for all your words of encouragement, similar experiences, and cool stories. Maybe things will change if and when I pass this PE exam.

I also think this time of year is somewhat depressing. I try to spend some time outside when I can. Things seem to go in cycles. Hope things pick up for you.

It is the lack of sunlight. We need out D to be happy. Plus, all of the bills from the Holi's come due.

I heard on radio news this week that the 3rd Monday in January is known as Black Monday because the weather is not good, the daylight is short, and the bills have come in.

Juggling

James Patterson
The rest of the story--I had additional thoughts that I wrote regarding this quote a few years ago when I was in a philosophical (in an engineering sort of way) mood:

I have made another observation about the five balls representing life. Glass balls have a hard surface with a very low coefficient of friction. When they spin or roll on a table top, they are able to keep momentum. They don’t get dragged down. They easily follow the initial course. Even when they hit another hard surface head-on, they are not bounced very far.

The rubber ball has a very high coefficient of friction. Any contact causes it to change course, bounce, slow down, and follow a very erratic path. When it hits something hard head-on, it bounces off hard.

And so it is with life. Family, health, friends, and integrity are the glass balls. When they are on course, they are not easily slowed down or detoured. They have hard outer surfaces which keep external forces from greatly influencing them.

The rubber ball representing work bounces. It is hard to keep a career spinning or rolling on a course with normal obstacles. Every little contact causes it to lose momentum. Each encounter makes it go in a different direction. The rubber ball is controlled by external forces.

The glass balls are your treasures. With proper care, they stay on course.

Career burnout - inevitable, esp. for all generations past the 'boomers. I once upon a time was a geologist, doing enviro work (consulting). came to hate it somewhere in my mid to late 20's. . . .a couple jobs later (all related career tracks) and here i am at the big '40', 13 weeks from graduating w/ an engineering degree :eyebrows: (geomatics)! I may pursue geotechnical work, poss. enviro again, poss. licensure as a PS . . . apparently i don't know what i wanna be when i grow up (Michigan job market sucks right now anyways)

I don't know what your discipline is, but the following has always inspired me (passion in what you do, whatever that may be):

The Bridgebuilder

An old man traveling a lone highway

Came at the evening, cold and gray,

to a chasm vast and wide and steep,

With waters rolling cold and deep.

The old man crossed in the twilight dim,

The sullen stream had no fears for him;

But he turned when safe on the other side,

and built a bridge to span the tide.

"Old man," said a fellow pilgrim near,

You are wasting your strength by building here.

Your journey will finish with the ending day,

You never again will pass this way.

You've crossed the chasm, deep and wide,

Why build this bridge at eventide?"

The builder lifted his old gray head.

"Good friend, in the path I have come," he said

"There followeth after me today

A youth whose feet must pass this way.

The chasm that was as nought to me

To that fair-haired youth may a pitfall be;

"He, too, must cross in the twilight dim-

Good friend, I am building this bridge for him."

OH!!! I think I just felt old.
No, it's gone. I'm young. :)
When I was done south on my visit, most everyone at the plant was 49+ - there was one young lady that just turned 30. I was completely amazed that even though there was some discussion of aches and pains these people had more energy than many of the college kids I see around me every day. The difference - ATTITUDE! :true:

They were a fun group to hang out with - I am SERIOULY thinking of joining thier club. ;)

I don't know what your discipline is, but the following has always inspired me (passion in what you do, whatever that may be):
The Bridgebuilder
Quite inspirational!! Good luck!

JR

Im feeling the same burnout thats been talked about above.

My job right now is the highest degree of technical engineer in the organization (GS13). Combine that with recently changes to our compensation plan (NSPS) gives me an opportunity to compete for higher grade jobs earlier, and Im working hard to get promoted into management to get a different perspective of the same work issues.

If that doesnt work, Im not sure how else to fight the burnout.

*holds breath*

The Bridgebuilder
I like the poem very much for many reasons.

I am SERIOULY thinking of joining thier club.
Joining the club is definitely better than not joining. :)

We're all human. I know no one who has been in a career that was totally satisfying through long-term. Good luck to all you "kids" who are facing burn-out. It's part of life. It's not permanent.

Words given me by a senior engineer who quit to become an artist:

"Life is certainly NOT linear."

Good point, Wolverine. When I first started my career, I was amazed at the circuitous route everyone in my office took to get to the same point. Some of the paths were quite interesting.

Now, I have an interesting path myself.

Back